Starting training again

Having a few hours in both, I found the biggest difference was the nosewheel steering - solid and heavy on the Pipers, soft and kinda like 'a suggestion' on the Cessnas (on the ground, that is). Be extra vigilant on a crosswind landing with the Piper, and center the rudder just before you touch the nosewheel. [A student at my school messed that up, ran off the runway, and bent the nose gear and the prop.]
The trim on the ceiling (of the older Pipers) - I had the same issue - forgetting which way to turn it for 'up' - without looking at the label. Did quite a few landings without trimming [which in hindsight is probably not the best method].

The trim on the ceiling (of the older Pipers) - I had the same issue - forgetting which way to turn it for 'up' - without looking at the label.

Isn't it "crank it right (clockwise) up" when using the ceiling mounted window handle from a 1930-31 Ford Model A? ;)

Piper nosewheel steering is basically the next best thing to having a free castering nosewheel

If you are sitting in the pilot seat point the handle at your head then move it the way want to trim. Forward for trim down, Back for Trim up.

Brian
CFIIG/aSEL
The crank says clearly which way to turn it if you want to go down or up....there's also a trim guide with a needle to show you where the trim is currently set. I found that the trim was responsive enough in the '68 Cherokee that I didn't have to use much compared to the Arrow. I had to trim the Arrow all the way down to get it to fly level.

The crank says clearly which way to turn it if you want to go down or up....there's also a trim guide with a needle to show you where the trim is currently set. I found that the trim was responsive enough in the '68 Cherokee that I didn't have to use much compared to the Arrow. I had to trim the Arrow all the way down to get it to fly level.

Folding gear and more power makes the Arrow more aerodynamic and faster, so you need more nose down.

Folding gear and more power makes the Arrow more aerodynamic and faster, so you need more nose down.
Yeah.... that's what uh said.

I'm just glad I didn't need more trim

Back