Starting to think about piloting

Eric Williams

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eric
Hello all, I am brand new to the idea of actually being a pilot, I have always wanted to be one but never thought that it something I would be able to do. I am in my later 30s and I am finishing nursing school here in a few weeks. I don't do good with not being mentally stimulated so I started to think about what I want to do in another 10 years, where I want to be, and I really think that I would like to marry my nursing with being a pilot. I am going into low income nursing, mostly with the native community here in north america, and a lot of populations (esp. in canada) can only be reached by plane. I have a few ideas of where I would like to get to, ideally twin engine with 1000 mile range, but I know that is at least 5-10 years off. I figured getting to know some pilots and finding a support system for a dream like this is a good place to start. Hopefully in 2-3 months I can start looking at flight school. I have a billion questions and thoughts, but I realize chomping at the bit does me no good, So I thought I would start with an introduction and a hello. I look forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully developing some friendships and mentors as I start my journey.

on the AOPA Forums, look for a user with the handle "Nealkas". He is an RN and a pilot. So he is very qualified to speak with you about the future in both endeavors.

If you (or anyone else who reads this post) is in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I'm always willing to meet up with folks who are in the "I want to get started" phase and provide them with information and ask questions.

If you have $10k or so free then at least start with your PPL training. Then from there your instrument license. Everyone starts from there, and it will either fuel the fire or put it out. Then you will be in a better place to make decisions on what path you want to follow.

Maybe a general location also. I have taken aviation enthusiasts for casual flights as able. We have the big fly-in at Oshkosh, WI later July if you’re around. It’s a total aviation immersion experience, information overload for a newbie.

Yes you can do it, individual initiative factors heavily, $$ helps too.

Dude!

FWIW - much of that difficult to reach population lives within a couple hundred miles of an airport with fuel available - you don't have to fly non-stop. Consider also what types of strips are near the people you want to reach - the typical light twin may not be the best choice. But I could be wrong.

Look at what the groups that do this professionally do. No need to recreate the wheel. Mission Aviation Fellowship is one model

Flying nurse? Forget any notions of romance.
There are numerous religious and non-religious organizations, but they don't want dilettantes.
Whether RN or pilot, they can't afford to have and don't want you learning the basics on your dime.

And also 'being a pilot' is no great advantage in this world for a couple reasons.
First, insurance & liability, airplanes expensive, international rules vary widely.
Second, lots of pilots, often local. Take a job, alienate a town.
Third, you can't effectively drive the ambulance and be in the back with the patient too.

Anything tying you down otherwise?
How's the money?
If you want to operate out on the fringe, you need solid skills.

Ok, get a solid 2-3 years RN experience. Get practical emergent and chronic trauma/med/psych experience. Get your EMT-RN, pull some street shifts.
Learn some basic languages. Med stuff, but always Please, Thank you, Hello, Ma'am, Sir.
Take all the crisis de-escalation stuff you can.
RNs/MD's Without Borders, etc. go into tough places.
Loudmouths get people killed. Incompetents get people killed.
Can you project authority and engender trust in chaotic settings?
Do local outreach to establish a track record of working in communities.
Work dodgy places, work late at night, work with angry folks.
Lots of RNs can be hospital nurses.
How are you at 3am in a 90 degree tent with a headlamp and balky equipment?

How are you when you've been cold and wet, or hot and wet for hours/days/weeks?
When your bed is a sweaty or freezing cot, and your last solid fecal movement but a fond if faded memory?
Everybody is tired and has the raging shnitz. Nobody wants to hear you whine.

Always write Thank you notes.

Establish your rep as a solid colleague under adverse circumstances.

You can accomplish anything you want.
But no one is going to say "A 12-month RN and 100-hr pilot! Here's your airplane."

A suggestion.

One of the most practical thoughts in keeping training costs down is training with another student. Stunning how much is learned by taking a joint lesson. Two students hiring a CFI and plane for 3 hours and cost splitting is very constructive. Each of you takes 90 minutes in the left seat and and 90 minutes riding in the back while listening and learning.

There is a lot of information to digest while trying to fly. Also record the flight lesson with a Garmin Virb or GoPro attached to the comm system and replay the lesson afterwards.

-David

Flying nurse? Forget any notions of romance.
There are numerous religious and non-religious organizations, but they don't want dilettantes.
Whether RN or pilot, they can't afford to have and don't want you learning the basics on your dime.

And also 'being a pilot' is no great advantage in this world for a couple reasons.
First, insurance & liability, airplanes expensive, international rules vary widely.
Second, lots of pilots, often local. Take a job, alienate a town.
Third, you can't effectively drive the ambulance and be in the back with the patient too.

Anything tying you down otherwise?
How's the money?
If you want to operate out on the fringe, you need solid skills.

Ok, get a solid 2-3 years RN experience. Get practical emergent and chronic trauma/med/psych experience. Get your EMT-RN, pull some street shifts.
Learn some basic languages. Med stuff, but always Please, Thank you, Hello, Ma'am, Sir.
Take all the crisis de-escalation stuff you can.
RNs/MD's Without Borders, etc. go into tough places.
Loudmouths get people killed. Incompetents get people killed.
Can you project authority and engender trust in chaotic settings?
Do local outreach to establish a track record of working in communities.
Work dodgy places, work late at night, work with angry folks.
Lots of RNs can be hospital nurses.
How are you at 3am in a 90 degree tent with a headlamp and balky equipment?

How are you when you've been cold and wet, or hot and wet for hours/days/weeks?
When your bed is a sweaty or freezing cot, and your last solid fecal movement but a fond if faded memory?
Everybody is tired and has the raging shnitz. Nobody wants to hear you whine.

Always write Thank you notes.

Establish your rep as a solid colleague under adverse circumstances.

You can accomplish anything you want.
But no one is going to say "A 12-month RN and 100-hr pilot! Here's your airplane."

Epic first post on this board and great insight...Having worked with NGO's and Military for the most of my adult life I can only say sounds spot on!

Epic first post on this board and great insight...Having worked with NGO's and Military for the most of my adult life I can only say sounds spot on!
I've known of @nealkas as a member of the AOPA Red Board for many years. His insight into the medical profession from the RN perspective has always been very informative. The various BTDT t-shirts on his wall of fame are extensive and cover many of the aeromedical questions that many of today's newcomers have. And his input to the Medical Matters forum over there is good stuff.

I'm happy to see him contributing here.

@Eric Williams .... One thing I will add is to not get in too big of a hurry to toss the hard work to become a nurse to one side in favor of being a pilot. I hear your statement of "I don't do good with not being mentally stimulated". But your completion of nursing school is just the first step in a longer journey that will include lots of opportunities to scratch that mental stimulation itch. As Neal hinted at, there are lots of specialization activities that should keep you very active. I know you got some insight into these during your rotations. But now, as a "graduated" nursing student, it's time to pick some specialties and (1) learn all you need to know about them; and (2) start gaining real time experience practicing them.

The other point related what I am saying about focusing on nursing career is to get your income flowing and increasing. If you have student loan debt, figure out how to get on a minimalist budget and max out your ability to kill that debt. Also, save up the 3 to 6 month emergency fund for when disaster strikes.

Once you have a stable income, lots of maturity and seasoning in your nursing career, and the time plus financial ability to pay for flight training (and costs of being a pilot post training), THEN pursue training.

As mentioned by someone else, let us know where you are. There are many friendly pilots on this board willing to help you get involved with the aviation community and take you on a "dip your toe in the water" flight.

I've known of @nealkas as a member of the AOPA Red Board for many years. His insight into the medical profession from the RN perspective has always been very informative. The various BTDT t-shirts on his wall of fame are extensive and cover many of the aeromedical questions that many of today's newcomers have. And his input to the Medical Matters forum over there is good stuff.

The dude also spells his name correctly. That Armstrong guy would’ve been much cooler with a different spelling. ;)

I really appreciate everyone's comments! I live in Grand Rapids MI. There are quite a few flight schools around here so I am lucky with that. I guess I should clarify that I don't necessarily want to make an income as a pilot. I see how much of a cost sink flying really seems to be, esp. owning your own aircraft. I do realize that the small ones can be really affordable, but the twin engines shoot up a bit in price. I do plan on working on a lot of the less glorious stuff, my dream job is serving under served populations. My income is ok, with everything accounted for I will be working with around 150K a year (not just nursing income) and most of debt is either paid off or will be within a year of graduation. I was thinking of starting piloting classes this summer mostly because I know it will be years before anything can come from it other then flight lessons and short flights for fun. Even if I do get to where I want to be I am not imaging that the piloting would be a source of income, more a way to help increase my range for places to go into for things like volunteer work or helping with natural disasters. I also heard there are lots of great charities that help fly patients across country when they need medical help, I realize I wont be doing medical work on them while I am flying, but I could provide a clean plane and medical assistance during the trip when we aren't flying. None of this is set in stone mind you, it is more of if I could do anything what would I do. I want to get a pilots license mostly because I am getting older and why the hell not. The sense of freedom that being able to jump in a plane and take off and go someplace new brings a smile to my face (I understand there is lots of paper work, maintenance, approval needed before you can just 'take off'). Being a pilot seems like a lot of responsibility but also a really liberating choice that a person could make. (Oh and I am 6'5", the thought of not squeezing into a commercial plane is worth consideration too).

First off, welcome to PoA!

Secondly, if only @EdFred didn't sell his airplane. :D ;)

I also heard there are lots of great charities that help fly patients across country when they need medical help
There are. It many require a significant number of hours (such as 250 hours) and likely an instrument pilot rating in order to do volunteer flying for them.

Speaking of Señor Nomex, the OP should reach out to Ed for at least the connection to build his "who you know" aviation network in addition to flight training and experience

The good news is my bird is hangered maybe a 15 flight to Grand Rapids! Though I’m not an instructor, I’ll happily drill a hole in the sky with Eric... and introduce him to the joys of crappy coffee and cramped cabins! :)

I am willing to put work into it, you don't become a nurse if you are looking to sit around and play cards. I have been watching steveo on youtube a lot the past month and I am willing to share crappy coffee as long as it is within the final hour of flight. I don't think the flight hours are going to be a huge issue like I said I am planning for 10 years, and honestly if I can afford it, why wouldn't I be flying. There aren't many things in life that a person can do where they become totally free. My favorite time to go on a jet ride is always when it is overcast and/or really early morning, when you break that cloud layer and there is nothing but blue and the most perfect sunrise you can find. Or when the wings scrape the side of a cloud taller then a skyscrapper. No, I don't think 250 hours is going to be an issue as long as I can afford it.

I was thinking of starting piloting classes this summer mostly because I know it will be years before anything can come from it other then flight lessons and short flights for fun.
If you've got cash and time and a willingness to do the work and study, you can easily get a private certificate in 3 months. When I did the private, I flew once a week until solo then twice a week after that and I was done in three months with 45 hours in my logbook.

At the end of every lesson I asked my CFI what we would be doing on the next lesson. Then I would go home and go over what I did on the last lesson and also read up and practice in flight sim what I was going to be working on during the next lesson. People will warn you that flight sim is not a training device and they're right but I found that if I used it simply as a procedures trainer between lessons, it made my time in the plane much more productive. YMMV.

If you keep flying twice a week after you get the private cert and do lots of cross country flights (50mn or more) and lots of hood time, you will get in range of what you need for the instrument checkride in no time. If you've got the cross country and total hours, there are programs that will come to you and get the instrument ticket done in a week.

With a private and instrument ticket you should be able to do anything you want to do. If you've got the money and time, you can get there in less than a year.

The best thing is you said is that you wanted to be mentally stimulated. That is probably one of the best reasons to learn to fly as it does an excellent job of that. Having a long term goal also helps.

Most of the organizations I am aware of that access isolated populations are flying Very capable Single Engine Piston (C-206, or C-185) or single engine Turbines actually seam to be their prefereance such as as C-208 or Kodak.

Www.maf.org

You possibly might research working with one of the air ambulance operations as a nurse, while working on your pilot certificate. You might find you are able to build some time when doing non-revenue flights (like returning from a transport).

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

6-5 pretty much rules out helos.
Choppers want jockey sized RN's not linebackers.
Between the equipment and the Super-Sized pax, they're already pushing limits.

And if you work choppers long enough, you will crash.
Logging while crabfishing is safer.

Now jet transport RN can be a sweet gig, but again gotta build that rep.

I am willing to put work into it, you don't become a nurse if you are looking to sit around and play cards. I have been watching steveo on youtube a lot the past month and I am willing to share crappy coffee as long as it is within the final hour of flight. I don't think the flight hours are going to be a huge issue like I said I am planning for 10 years, and honestly if I can afford it, why wouldn't I be flying. There aren't many things in life that a person can do where they become totally free. My favorite time to go on a jet ride is always when it is overcast and/or really early morning, when you break that cloud layer and there is nothing but blue and the most perfect sunrise you can find. Or when the wings scrape the side of a cloud taller then a skyscrapper. No, I don't think 250 hours is going to be an issue as long as I can afford it.
Oh dude.... be safe out there my man.:sigh:

Now jet transport RN can be a sweet gig, but again gotta build that rep.

Man, that would be so cool. This seems like a little pie in the sky for me, but it's amazing to think about. I'd be happy if I just had a plane I could afford to fly and keep in good condition that would help me get to places that need help.

Back