Starting to prefer low-wings...

All of this seems exactly spot on for me, with one big exception - I never felt that the low wing was more sporty. My club had a 1999 Cherokee 180 and 172 (180hp) and as much as I wanted to love the Cherokee, I just never could get over how heavy the controls were.

Fly a Grumman then get back to us. I love our club Tiger. I like the Cessnas and Cherokee but the Tiger is a fantastic airplane in all respects ... except that you might lock yourself inside and not be able to open the canopy without calling for help (ask me how I know :rolleyes:). There’s a current thread somewhere about that very topic.

All of this seems exactly spot on for me, with one big exception - I never felt that the low wing was more sporty. My club had a 1999 Cherokee 180 and 172 (180hp) and as much as I wanted to love the Cherokee, I just never could get over how heavy the controls were.

Definitely understand what you mean. I often find myself stomping the rudder pedals and manhandling the yoke at first, on the occasions i fly cessnas vs. my flight school's beech fleet. But I'm quickly reminded at how plush and docile the controls are on the ol' 172. Sure it's not as sporty to fly, but it sure is comfy. Which is why I love taking it up for relaxed sightseeing and such.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back