Starting to plan the flight.

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Coming from 10C. It is about 3 hour flight for us. I am thinking of leaving after breakfast for a wheels up at about 10:30 or 11:00 am local. My route I am looking at is to file direct DEC, FAM, 3M0, I'll land with about 17 gals of fuel (2hours) that way and avoid St. Louis without too many vectors for traffic.

Coming from 10C. It is about 3 hour flight for us. I am thinking of leaving after breakfast for a wheels up at about 10:30 or 11:00 am local. My route I am looking at is to file direct DEC, FAM, 3M0, I'll land with about 17 gals of fuel (2hours) that way and avoid St. Louis without too many vectors for traffic.

Lucky, lucky. With headwinds and all, Gil and I are looking at a good 10 hours of flying...planning on being airborne by 6:30am. The two stops I picked have pretty cheap gas. Rostraver airport (KFWQ) just south of Pittsburgh has 100LL for $4.60/gal and Tell City, Indiana (KTEL) has 100LL for $4.75/gal.

All this flight planning is exciting me for the trip, and to meet all of you guys.

I can't believe it is almost here. I just started planning. Too many other things going on that are taking up all of my grey matter.

My plan is to takeoff and fly south-east-ish for about 3 hours or so.

This is exciting. Here's mine. One stop, 7:30 hours, 1450NM.

Attachments

• flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 66
If you are flying over FAM check H88 for fuel. Always seems to have the best price on the way there.

I bought a couple of charts yesterday. Does that count? :dunno:

I bought three for my west-coast trip - The ones that aren't going to expire beforehand. I already have old copies of the rest of them.

The girl at the front desk of the FBO, ringing the charts up: "Klamath Falls? I've never heard of that one!" :D

Well it looks like I am flying for the first time. Should be fun, we are coming from the Bay Area. I gotta go get my charts this weekend.

Just got the new data base for the GPS. :)

Something didn't look right. Entered "nearest". Got some airport 1668 nm away. WHAT ??????? :confused: Darn thing couldn't find 3M0.:(

They sent me the international data base. :mad:. Should have the correct one soon. :rolleyes: Good thing I planned ahead :rofl:

I have been wanting to fly to Gaston's ever since I heard of it. I may actually make it this year! It will be just a day trip from POF to Gaston's and back on Saturday.

I hope the weather cooperates. I have met a few of you. I'm looking forward to putting some more faces with the online names.

I will fly from FFC to POF a day or two before to visit family. Then it's on to Gaston's for a day trip on Saturday, then back to FFC on Sunday. Gaston's looks like an easy flight from POF. Kennettk, Missouri still looks like the best fuel prices anywhere near there.

Well I stopped at the FBO today to pick up the Kansas City, and St Louis Charts for the Gaston's trip. I guess no one from NACO is going this year, as the KC chart, and the 56 day IFR renewal cycle both fall on June 5th:mad::mad:

Oh well I guess I'll get to buy them the day before, and do most of my planning on skyvector.....

I'm going to need to pick up a few more charts for the trip, but I'm pretty sure I have my route planned. About 800 nm on the dot, planning 2 stops, expecting headwinds along the way, so I'm anticipating 10 hours total trip time, including stops.

Takes me through two class Bs and a class C, plus a big MOA. None of which are really a concern for me.

The big concern is weather, being strictly VFR. This may (and probably will) require some last minute diverging from my original trip planning.

Next year I'm hoping to have an IR and a faster plane for this... :)

Oh. It will :) The weather is what makes the trip fun.

For me the trip will be fun either way. :)

That's part of why I'm not planning things too strictly. I am fully expecting to have to detour, stop, etc. I'm going to bring my IR book as reading material so that I can study some if I end up having to land and stay grounded for a while.

I am hoping for weather like we have this weekend, though. Big puffy clouds with lots of holes in them, and visibility at a million. Windy, though, but turbulence doesn't bother me.

im just planning on baking a bunch of cookies and waiting for Kaye to pick me up.

Make it two bunchs

Tony can give me any cookies for Missa... just no guarantees that they will make it back to Williamsport! The pilot may need fuel on the return flight! :yes:

Who said I wasn't going?

Is this your official announcement? Better let the person flying the plane know... :D

(it is worth noting that Missa threw a foam football at me across the cube wall for my last post... that football is now MINE)

Is this your official announcement? Better let the person flying the plane know... :D

(it is worth noting that Missa threw a foam football at me across the cube wall for my last post... that football is now MINE)

I will neither confirm or deny my attenance. The decision will be official when the archer leaves. If I'm in the archer, I'm going, if I'm not in the archer, I'm not going.

(I'll get it back and I have a light bulb too)

I will neither confirm or deny my attenance. The decision will be official when the archer leaves. If I'm in the archer, I'm going, if I'm not in the archer, I'm not going.

(I'll get it back and I have a light bulb too)

No go arounds at Gaston. Beware :no:

See ya there or in Canada

The big concern is weather, being strictly VFR. This may (and probably will) require some last minute diverging from my original trip planning.

/quote]

Ted you might be surprised at how may fly it VFR. It makes life interesting. I've visited many places in the USA that I never knew esisted.

the headwinds last year had me crawling at 118 kts.......even tho the airplane was telling 150 kts. :eek:

And you fly a fast plane! In the Archer, a bad headwind can get me below 80 kts in cruise! That is part of why I have two fuel stops planned for the way out. Each one should only take me about 2.5 hours to get to without winds, but with headwinds...

Flight plan:
Depart 1C5
Don't hit anything
Arrive 5M0
Land
Eat cookies

where 5M0? :dunno:
Poor Grant. It's a good thing he found out now that he was going to the wrong place. :yes: :D Maybe we should all post our flight plans for public affirmation just to make sure we get there.

I'll take that Margarita now Grant. :drink: :D

Last edited:
Back