Starting the CFI adventure...

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
So... The day has finally come... To become the guy that gets us all hooked on flying...

Does anyone recommend the ASA Test Prep stuff over the Gleim??

I've always been a Gleim's kinda guy, someone told me yesterday that they actually prefer ASA today over the other guys... your thoughts???

I'd go with the King program.

Honestly when I did mine I just got a online practice exam, studied everything from the FAR to learning styles on Wikipedia. The initial CFI was the least expensive thing I've done in aviation, it was also the most time consuming.

See if you can tutor some PPL students, it'll help immensely :yes:

Last edited:
Kinda dark up there, ain't it?

Oh, dude... VFR night flying in Alaska is a NO GO on my list... It's like that scene from, Lion King, when Mufasa is talking to Simba...

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 31
Written is easy. Do whatever. Flying is easy. I'd highly suggest you watch the King DVD on the oral checkride. The oral checkride is the hard part of the CFI. Watch that video and learn to answer all the questions just like in that video. Practice, Practice, Practice what's in that video and you'll pass on the first go. Worked for me.

I used the ASA books for the written. Read over the Airplane Flying Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. and the Instructor's Handbook. They are all good reads. I'm hoping to take my ride in a few weeks. I'll let you know how I do. Good luck with your training!

Written is easy. Do whatever. Flying is easy. I'd highly suggest you watch the King DVD on the oral checkride. The oral checkride is the hard part of the CFI. Watch that video and learn to answer all the questions just like in that video. Practice, Practice, Practice what's in that video and you'll pass on the first go. Worked for me.

OH NO!!! PLEASE NOT JOHN AND MARTHA... THE HAIR... AHHHHH :mad2: :yikes: :hairraise: :mad2: :yikes: :D :nono:

OH NO!!! PLEASE NOT JOHN AND MARTHA... THE HAIR... AHHHHH :mad2: :yikes: :hairraise: :mad2: :yikes: :D :nono:

I don't much care for any of their products but the DVD of the oral portion of the checkride is very well done and really helps you establish the right mind for the oral. It's a very different oral than the typical ones.

I don't much care for any of their products but the DVD of the oral portion of the checkride is very well done and really helps you establish the right mind for the oral. It's a very different oral than the typical ones.

Right on... of Course... I really enjoyed their Commercial Checkride video... Helped A LOT..

Just responded to your PM... Thanks again!

I second kings cfi video. jessie recommended it and it was very helpful; it got me to really focus on my teaching delivery.

ASA is the way to go. It included training material for all the instructor knowledge exams and has a study guide. I also recommend the flight instructor oral exam guide book by Michael Hayes.

I used the ASA DVD course. I liked them a lot better than the Kings. Seems more professional than the Kings some how. And, the ASA material was not full of older versions with spliced in updates.

David

As someone that just took their CFI ride two days ago and watched this, I agree wholeheartedly!

Back