Starting PPL what do I need?

Boss1714

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Boss1714
New guy here and I am starting my PPL next week. I am wondering what are some of the neccessities I need...i.e. Headset (10-30 ?), ground school, books, etc. Any help and advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Probably going to be flying a C172.

Main things you need are money, desire, and dedication.

I got my medical/student pilot certificate before I started. I asked around to find my AME, didn't use the online search on the FAA website.

To prepare for the written test, I used the Jeppesen Private Pilot book, Jeppesen Flite School written test prep, King Schools Private Pilot videos and the Gleim private pilot test book.

I took the practice test in the back of the Gleim book, made sure I could pass it, got signed off by my instructor with the certificate in the back of the Gleim book, and I took my written test at a CATS testing place.

I also bought some sectional charts, a VFR plotter, and an E6B.

If you haven't already, you should get your student pilot certificate and airman medical. Based on your original post, since you said you're starting next week, it looks like you've already picked a school, so my suggestion would be to ask around for suggestions for a good aviation medical examiner (AME). Another option would be to ask on these forums for suggestions for a good AME around your location. You could also search the FAA database here: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/index.cfm

You'll definitely want to buy a headset. Your school or instructor may be able to provide one, but that's not something you'll always be able to depend on. I've personally been using the same DC 10-13.4 headset since I first started flying, and I like it. But if you have money to spend, you may want to try on a few headsets (including some of the pricier models) to see which fits best on you.

For written preparation, I used the Gleim test prep books. The website http://www.exams4pilots.com/ is also quite helpful. They worked well for me (never scored lower than 96% on a written, and I've taken about 8!). The actual written materials you use may depend to some degree on the preferences of your flight school or instructor. Ask whoever you'll be flying with if he or she has any suggestions.

You'll also want a copy of the latest FAR/AIM. I've always used ASA's version, though they're all pretty much the same. You may also want to find out exactly what model and year airplane you'll be flying so you can pick up a pilot operating handbook (POH) for it. As a general rule, it's good for a student to have the airplane and its systems memorized through and through before they solo... so you might as well get a head start!

If you're looking for a dedicated ground school, you may want to look around at some local county colleges. They often will provide ground school classes at a pretty reasonable price. If you do choose to attend ground school, they'll set their own requirements for what books you use. If not, I've always found jeppesen's private pilot manual to be fairly good.

Another book that I'd highly, highly recommend is Wolfgang Langewiesche's "Stick & Rudder." It's on my unwritten list of "required reading" for private pilots. ;)

Good luck! Learning to fly is a lot of work, but it's absolutely worth the effort!

First off, welcome to PoA!

While I agree that you will want to get your medical soon in the process, do not just walk into the doctor's office and fill in the form! You want to be sure that you are going to be able to walk out of the office with the medical. Sign up for the AOPA Flight Training program, which is a free resource that will allow you access to their online tool for medical information, as well as a 6 month subscription to Flight Training Magazine. That will flag any potential gotchas before you get to the doctor's office.

Other than that, what they said above is pretty good. You will want a headset, But see if you can try out a few first, maybe at the flight school. I would recommend getting an ANR (active noise reduction) one that feels good to you. The clarity when you are talking to the instructor can actually make a difference in the learning process!

Last edited:
I wouldn't run out and buy a lot of stuff right off, wait a few lessons and make sure this is going to work out for you. The % of students that quit is much higher than those that finish. You don't need the medical until you solo, so wait on it as well.

The advice to not rush into getting your medical is good advice. However, you should makes sure you don't have any medical conditions or legal history that might prevent you from ultimately getting your medical ASAP. You don't want to put thousands into flight training only to find out you wont be able to get a medical! As Grant mentioned, join the free 6-month student membership with AOPA. Once you join, you'll be able to access AOPA's medical resources, which will guide you through the whole process of getting a medical. Till then, take a look at this webpage for some info: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/presolo/special/medical.html

Something else you need - time.

Prioritize your training so you work your life schedule around your training, instead of the other way around.

"Stick and Rudder" has already been mentioned.

Your CFI can give you some other ideas on what to get. I'd borrow headsets for a little while. They'll probably be beaters, but you never know - you might be able to test drive a good set or two. Then go buy your own. A lot of us get a what would be considered a student set, then turn that in the the spare after we finish the checkride and buy an upgrade for ourselves.

The advice to not rush into getting your medical is good advice. However, you should makes sure you don't have any medical conditions or legal history that might prevent you from ultimately getting your medical ASAP. You don't want to put thousands into flight training only to find out you wont be able to get a medical!

:yeahthat: Many medical conditions can be handled with something called a "special issuance" medical certificate. But there are others that cannot. And some SI's require knowing exactly what will be asked for by the FAA so you don't wind up spending unnecessary money on tests and the dreaded "wait, wait, wait some more just to find out you didn't send in a key item and must go to the back of the line" (ever watch Parking Wars?).

If you're taking any prescribed medication, check the AOPA medications list to be sure what you take is permitted and if any additional reporting is needed. If the meds are prohibited, then talk with your doctor about switching you to something that is allowed. And be aware that there are some meds, that while by themselves are allowed, are verboten when combined.

Best thing to do is to schedule a normal and thorough physical with your doctor. Glad I did... it saved my life. Doing the "before the AME visit" physical caught that I had developed Diabetes Type II. But since we caught it early, it's being managed very well and there is no damage to my major systems. But I can honestly say "Flying saved my life".

As Grant mentioned, join the free 6-month student membership with AOPA. Once you join, you'll be able to access AOPA's medical resources, which will guide you through the whole process of getting a medical. Till then, take a look at this webpage for some info: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/presolo/special/medical.html

AOPA offers loads of services. It's worth joining once your student membership expires.

Be sure to share details about where you are, what you're flying, and how much you're enjoying yourself.

RE: Headsets... I agree with borrowing to start with. Get some stick time now. Then start borrowing different brands and models to see what you like.

But once you know you're going to finish your license, I'll put in a strong recommendation to get the Active Noise Reduction (ANR) feature on whatever brand/model you select. It's worth the extra dollars for the extra quiet.

You need time and money. As for a headset, I suggest something from Lightspeed as they always have an upgrade program to trade up to their top line.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have already scheduled my medical, and I dont think there will be any issues..never used drugs,never been arrested, 26 y/o with no health problems, military, etc. I will look into finding a ground school here this week. any suggestions for that. Again, thanks for advice guys!

I wouldn't run out and buy a lot of stuff right off, wait a few lessons and make sure this is going to work out for you.
Amen! And by that time your instructor will have helped you figure out just what you need. As good as I think a Lightspeed headset is, don't go spending $900 on one (or even $400 on a DC 10-30) until you're sure you're going to stick with this.

First off - congratulations. I just got my license last year and it was one of the best experiences I have had in my life. Even though it was frustrating at times.

I got a 95% on the written by just buying the three FAA books (HAK, AFM, FAR), and they are free to download if you want to consume them digitally. My flight instructor only wanted me to read certain chapters at a time so we could discuss before/after each lesson. For a government publication, they are suprisingly well written and illustrated.

I really wanted a iPad during training, but decided I was going to buy it for myself as a present when I finished training. It was a good carrot.

I had the opportunity to buy a used pair of Lightspeed Zulus ($600) about halfway through my training so I picked them up. Our school had a few pairs of cheap noise-cancelling ones which were fine.

I wouldn't even worry about buying the small things until you have a few lessons under your belt. Then you can worry about ordering charts, plotters, kneeboards, etc. Your instructor should have good input for you

Just bring money. Lots of it. The rest will come as needed.

The advice to not rush into getting your medical is good advice. However, you should makes sure you don't have any medical conditions or legal history that might prevent you from ultimately getting your medical ASAP. You don't want to put thousands into flight training only to find out you wont be able to get a medical!

Medical schmedical. Way too much nonsense to put up with just so you can fly an airplane with a back seat...

Please be aware of the Sport Pilot route if there is a potential for an issue with a 3rd class medical that does not limit your ability to safely pilot a Piper Cub....

If there is no issue with the medical (and for most people there isn't) then the Private Pilot is a better option even if you are flying a light sport aircraft (which a 172 ain't).

As Grant mentioned, join the free 6-month student membership with AOPA. Once you join, you'll be able to access AOPA's medical resources, which will guide you through the whole process of getting a medical. Till then, take a look at this webpage for some info: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/presolo/special/medical.html

Yea. That.

Oh, if you don't mind earplugs in your ears you might consider these:
http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ or the Clarity Aloft they really are a lot more comfortable than any of the over the ear, especially when you have your sunglasses on; it also appears that Clarity Aloft has added a Blue Tooth option.

This endeavor is not for mere mortals. You will need Einstein's brain, Brad Pitt's looks, and the testicular fortitude of a Navy SEAL.

And you can quote me on that, because I know. I'm a pilot.

Now excuse me please, my supermodel girlfriend is calling me back to bed.

I wouldn't run out and buy a lot of stuff right off, wait a few lessons and make sure this is going to work out for you. The % of students that quit is much higher than those that finish. You don't need the medical until you solo, so wait on it as well.
The above is excellent advice however I have a bit of a different take on the medical. If you perhaps have a medical or legal issue that may prevent you from getting a medical or make it more difficult then you may want to make sure you will be eligible for getting a medical before you spend a lot of money on lessons only to find that you can't get a medical.

Other than that Welcome to Pilots of America, were glad to have you here. If you let us know where you live we can direct you to some local POAers who may be able to mentor you along your way. We actually have formed a list of POAers who are interested in helping and encouraging student pilots.

This endeavor is not for mere mortals. You will need Einstein's brain, Brad Pitt's looks, and the testicular fortitude of a Navy SEAL.

And you can quote me on that, because I know. I'm a pilot.

Now excuse me please, my supermodel girlfriend is calling me back to bed.

My wife said, "I've met a lot of pilots, you're not fooling me," when I read this one to her. LOL!

Patience and determination! The latter I had from the jump, but the former I had to develop along the way.

Welcome to POA. I had a lot of financial, personal, and other set backs along the way. So I agree with Doc - you need "determinaton".

Sometimes, you will see leaps and bounds in your progress. Other times, it will seem like you are spending weeks or months working on the same skill (landings, whatever). And on top of that - one day - you might just do bad at everything and have a "bad flight".

This is when you need to press on and soon enough you will have a "good flight".

So training is like a series of ups and downs.... keep that end goal in mind at all times and you will do well.

neccessities I need...i.e. Headset (10-30 ?),
Believe it or not I got my PPL without renting/borrowing or even wearing a headset once but I agree that these days it would be strange.

Believe it or not I got my PPL without renting/borrowing or even wearing a headset once but I agree that these days it would be strange.

My CFI insisted I didn't buy a headset until after several lessons. Too many people get all excited at the beginning and buy everything, then never finish. So yes, some things can wait, such as a headset. The school should lend you one.

As always here, lots of great advice in this thread.

Take your first lesson, see how you feel after that.
Talk with your CFI about what they normally use for "ground", (Jeppesen, Rod Machado, FAA books/handouts).

As for the medical, if you are in good health, don't have any felonies or anything adverse legally in your past, you are probably good to go.
The flight school/CFI should be able to tell you the local AME there.
If you have ANY DOUBT what so ever about your past legally or medically, schedule a consultation with the doctor. Talk to him/her about it and they should be able to help you. Once you fill out the form for the FAA (unless this has changed) they MUST report about it. If you ask for a consultation, it is just between you and the doc.
You are going to figure out quickly, what the FAA thinks needs to be told and what the rest of us think are usually two different things.

Good luck and keep us all informed!!!.

I got a 95% on the written by just buying the three FAA books (HAK, AFM, FAR), and they are free to download if you want to consume them digitally. My flight instructor only wanted me to read certain chapters at a time so we could discuss before/after each lesson. For a government publication, they are suprisingly well written and illustrated.

Could anyone direct me to these online? I am having a hard time finding them. Thank you.

Could anyone direct me to these online? I am having a hard time finding them. Thank you.
I have most of them linked here under FAA Source Documents, though I need to go through and make sure they're all the most recent versions!

Last edited:
Only other thing I would add to the other excellent pieces of advice is to not give up if you come across a bad CFI. I came across a bad CFI early on, and almost quit within my first 8 hours but luckily was able to find someone else who wasn't just in it to build hours, but wanted to help me learn.

Back