Starting IFR Training

rkiefer2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rkiefer2
Looking for some advice on pursuing my IFR training.

What's the recommendation efficiency for the IFR training?

-Pass written test then start training? (This is what I'm trying now)
-I recognize the difference between passing a test and fully retaining the knowledge and content. I'm finding that since I'm not applying the IFR principles and concepts I'm getting hung up on relating the material and diving deep into the details. Any advice on balancing what u need to understand vs. memorize?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger Kiefer II

I'd get the former out of the way early. There's sufficient disconnect between the drivel on the written test and actual instrument flying that I don't think that you really need one before the other. However, many will find the written a significant obstacle so if you wait until you are in the middle of the actual flight training, you may find yourself ready for the flight test without having finished the book work.

There are a few pablum things you have to memorize (mostly things about primary vs. supporting gauges, cross check/Instrument Interpretation, yada) just to regurgitate it to the FAA. (Don't even get me started about the FOI test). Then there's a broad category of stuff you need to learn (how VOR and NDB indicators work, what the chart symbology, etc... means, how to flight plan). This stuff you'll need to retain for your actual instrument training.

Everybody's learning style is differently. I pretty much did 14 hours or so with John and Martha King and then took their computer tests. I passed the exam, let it expire. Subsequent retakes I did with the help of Gleim (first the red book and then the software).

Study Sheppard Air and get the written out of the way. Then get a competent and patient CFII and LEARN!

I try to take the writtens before I start training for a new rating because I know I will I procrastinate. But that is just personal preference. Memeorize the questions then actually learn the material

Written complete, then fly. That's what works best for us doing the 10-day intensive IR courses.

I always did the written,and got it out of the way,then do the flying.

The written is full of crap like which way to turn an RMI that in real life you'll just turn it the other damn way if it wasn't the right direction. If you ever even see one in a cockpit.

Get it out of the way and then find an instructor that'll teach you the survival skills necessary to not plaster yourself over a mile long swath of ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going along with this subject, how would you recommend getting the flight experience? Would you do a couple lessons with an instructor to get the basics of flying approaches and then do your simulated instrument time. Or, would you get all the simulated instrument time and just do the last 15 hours with the CFII?

Going along with this subject, how would you recommend getting the flight experience? Would you do a couple lessons with an instructor to get the basics of flying approaches and then do your simulated instrument time. Or, would you get all the simulated instrument time and just do the last 15 hours with the CFII?
Approaches should be one of the last things you do IMO. Too many instructors start their students off with approaches when they are not ready at all. First lessons should be developing the instrument scan and basic instrument attitude flying. After you get a FIRM grasp of the instruments, power settings, and trim, start learning pattern A and pattern B. These will be the basis for approaches and missed approaches.

No, no, a thousand times NO. Your first few hours should be spent in learning basic attitude instrument flying, not approaches. If you don't develop the muscle memory to get the airplane to do what you want it to do solely by instrument reference you will be woefully behind the airplane.

Sims are great for learning procedures, but you need to develop the connection between your eyes, your brain, and your bottom first.

BTW, the sim time will be with a CFII, so you don't get a shortcut there.

Bob Gardner

The former -- get a lesson, then practice what you learned with a safety pilot buddy. This works even better if your buddy is also working on the IR, as you can do the lessons together (one training, the other in the back set observing, then swapping seats for the second half of the training flight).

And if your instructor is worth a hoot, you won't be starting with approaches, but rather using a graduated "building block" approach, which will look something like this:
  • Basic instruments - 4 fundamentals (full/partial panel), unusual attitudes
  • Basic radio nav - orientation, interception, and tracking with VOR/ADF/GPS as applicable
  • Basic procedures like procedure turns
  • Holding
  • Approaches
  • Cross country procedures
  • Test prep
So, you'll have lots to learn and practice with your buddy before you get to approaches.

Last edited:
The former -- get a lesson, then practice what you learned with a safety pilot buddy. This works even better if your buddy is also working on the IR, as you can do the lessons together (one training, the other in the back set observing, then swapping seats for the second half of the training flight).

And if your instructor is worth a hoot, you won't be starting with approaches, but rather using a graduated "building block" approach, which will look something like this:
  • Basic instruments - 4 fundamentals (full/partial panel), unusual attitudes
  • Basic radio nav - orientation, interception, and tracking with VOR/ADF/GPS as applicable
  • Basic procedures like procedure turns
  • Holding
  • Approaches
  • Cross country procedures
  • Test prep
So, you'll have lots to learn and practice with your buddy before you get to approaches.

This is along the lines of what an instructor told me. He claims once you can do all that he can teach the approaches in about a days worth of flying.

Written complete, then fly. That's what works best for us doing the 10-day intensive IR courses.

Agree to this.

Studying for the written takes a bit of dedication, but can be done in a short amount of time. And once that hurdle is done, it no longer is a distraction to the main focus of learning to fly within the IFR system.

This is along the lines of what an instructor told me. He claims once you can do all that he can teach the approaches in about a days worth of flying.
Yes. Too many CFIs rush their students into approaches on their first or second lesson when the student can't even fly basic instrument attitudes.

Back