Starting Commercial Training Soon...

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
im almost done with my time building. im at 200 hrs and going to stop at 220. i ordered the ASA written test prep book so i can start studying for the written. ill be flying a piper arrow. any tips/pointers and helpful hints would be appreciated. it seems like the training for this rating will be very short if i plan on flying 2 times a week. thanks guys!

Arrow is a great plane. It took me a while to get down lazy eights and eights on pylons. Make sure you have a good instructor that will show you the visual cues to doing those right from the get-go! Good luck

Return your ASA book and get Sheppard Air on your PC or iPad for the written studying! What planes have you been flying?

Return your ASA book and get Sheppard Air on your PC or iPad for the written studying! What planes have you been flying?
i like the ASA books! ive flown a 172, 152, 150, and a warrior. for the time building ive been flying the warrior and 150 mostly. i did my private and instrument in a 172

i like the ASA books! ive flown a 172, 152, 150, and a warrior. for the time building ive been flying the warrior and 150 mostly. i did my private and instrument in a 172

I liked the ASA books for the private, instrument, and CFII writtens..But trust me the Sheppard Air system will save you hours of studying for the written.

The transition from a Warrior to the Arrow shouldn't be a big event, more right rudder and don't forget that gear lever!

Just have fun with it. I found the commercial to be a fun ride to do.

Depends on the DPE, basically just an advanced PP Oral.

The arrow is a great plane once you comfortable in it. The oral shouldn't be to hard if you put the study time in. Have fun.

im also debating whether or not to start training in the winter (either december or january) or start in the spring when the weather gets nicer. but the owner of the school did make a good point. he said in the winter there a more solid go/no go days. either its super cold with 10 miles vis or its snowing with crappy vis. im not really sure what to do yet

Yep, Shepard or Dauntless.

The books are for crap and read like the yellow pages, with the exception of From the Ground Up.

im also debating whether or not to start training in the winter (either december or january) or start in the spring when the weather gets nicer. but the owner of the school did make a good point. he said in the winter there a more solid go/no go days. either its super cold with 10 miles vis or its snowing with crappy vis. im not really sure what to do yet

I prefer to fly with a ceiling, maybe it's my PNW roots.

Besides if you're going to be a professional pilot it should be that hard for you to make a CONSERVATIVE go/no go for a DPE ride.

Commercial is all about precise control of the aircraft -- showing you are its master, not just its pilot. Nailing airspeeds, headings, altitudes, turn rates, bank angles, pitch attitudes, landing spots and alignment, etc. Most importantly, you will not accomplish this staring at the instruments, which is a bit of an issue for folks who recently completed instrument training. If it weren't for the complex requirement, you might be better off doing this in a Cub with only the 91.205-minimum day VFR instruments in it in order to avoid being distracted inside when you should be looking outside. And for those wondering how you can do this without looking inside, ask my IR trainees about how I can tell when they're off attitude even slightly while I'm looking for traffic outside -- you really can see small differences outside better than inside.

I recommend Sheppard air for the written, and The advanced flying manual, by Kershner for the oral.

im almost done with my time building. im at 200 hrs and going to stop at 220. i ordered the ASA written test prep book so i can start studying for the written. ill be flying a piper arrow. any tips/pointers and helpful hints would be appreciated. it seems like the training for this rating will be very short if i plan on flying 2 times a week. thanks guys!

Do you have an allergy to capital letters? Do you idolize e.e. Cummings, or is it laziness?

Spend some of your time building perfecting the commercial maneuvers. Unlike your private and instrument training ou're not really learning anything new per se...just how to fly smoothly and do maneuvers to tighter commercial tolerances. You don't really need to fly with an instructor to perfect that.

The commercial certificate is also an opportunity to become an expert in the regulations. A commercial candidate should have an intimate knowledge of parts 61, 91, and applicable portions of 121, 125, and 135.

You like it because you haven't tried Sheppard, trust me :yes:
X2. The day you use Sheppard for a written is the day you file The Kings and Gleim a VFR flight plan direct to the trash bin. I used them in the past for my FOI and most recently for the CFII and was ready in no time. I definately plan to use them for my ATP in the coming months.

is 30 hrs a good number for training? the owner of the flight school recommended i stop at 220 with my time building. i already have the x country requirements done except for the long one

is 30 hrs a good number for training? the owner of the flight school recommended i stop at 220 with my time building. i already have the x country requirements done except for the long one

You need 10hrs in a complex plane, I don't see any reason it will take you longer than that to nail the maneuvers.

sorry to go off topic guys, but something interesting happened today and i want your opinions. So the me and the guy im building time with were flying back VFR from KPOU. it was pretty gusty and there was in AIRMET out for moderate turbulence. during the approach the guy was high on the glideslope and fast. i didnt say anything thinking he would correct. Next we get over the numbers of the runway doing about in 80 in our cherokee. i look at our altimeter and he is about 150 ft above the ground and he starts to flare. i tell him not to flair that high or go around becuase he was not stable and now we are ballooning because of the excess speed. we ened up touching down very hard and when we taxi back to the ramp he tells me i need shut up. literally tells me i need to shut up during his landings. he tells me he doesnt say anything about my landings and i shouldn't say anything about his. i later tell him it is my duty as Pilot monitoring to tell him and make calls during the approach if something is wrong (low on glide path, off course, airspeed deviation, etc.) and told him im not trying to point out his mistakes and that i was concerned about my safety and the safety of the plane. So was i wrong in saying something? it seems like he took it the wrong way and i didnt intend for him to think that i was trying to point out mistakes. ive read so many articles about how planes crash because the pilot monitoring did not do his job and do proper call outs or scans. i'm definitely going to talk to him about this the next time i go with him and make sure there are no hard feelings. I just felt it was very poor CRM on his part while i was trying to do mine

sorry to go off topic guys, but something interesting happened today and i want your opinions. So the me and the guy im building time with were flying back VFR from KPOU. it was pretty gusty and there was in AIRMET out for moderate turbulence. during the approach the guy was high on the glideslope and fast. i didnt say anything thinking he would correct. Next we get over the numbers of the runway doing about in 80 in our cherokee. i look at our altimeter and he is about 150 ft above the ground and he starts to flare. i tell him not to flair that high or go around becuase he was not stable and now we are ballooning because of the excess speed. we ened up touching down very hard and when we taxi back to the ramp he tells me i need shut up. literally tells me i need to shut up during his landings. he tells me he doesnt say anything about my landings and i shouldn't say anything about his. i later tell him it is my duty as Pilot monitoring to tell him and make calls during the approach if something is wrong (low on glide path, off course, airspeed deviation, etc.) and told him im not trying to point out his mistakes and that i was concerned about my safety and the safety of the plane. So was i wrong in saying something? it seems like he took it the wrong way and i didnt intend for him to think that i was trying to point out mistakes. ive read so many articles about how planes crash because the pilot monitoring did not do his job and do proper call outs or scans. i'm definitely going to talk to him about this the next time i go with him and make sure there are no hard feelings. I just felt it was very poor CRM on his part while i was trying to do mine

Well as for your responsibility as the saftey (non-hooded) pilot, that responsibility ends once that hood comes off, only one of you is landing and they are the ONLY PIC.

That said, you did the right thing, only worse thing then hurting someones feeling is being meek. His landing sucked and was borderline dangerous, you called his azz out and made recommendations, I'd have done the same thing.

Your buddy probably knew his landing was for chit and was embaresed/defensive about it, his problem not yours.

-break-

For the OP, one good book for your CPL is visualized flight maneuvers, VERY well illustrated and depicted representations of all the maneuvers PPL-CPL-CFI

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1560275219...v-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549

Back