Starting Again

matt_turner1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hey all - I was a student pilot a long while back and I have about 55 hours and had all of my requirements met, gearing up for my checkride when my CFI (good friend) got a new job and I got married so the whole thing fell apart. I am finally going back to get my license completed.

I met with an instructor today and found a good flight club. Now I need to brush up on my written and practical, get my medical exam, go for some brush up flights with the instructor so he can put me through the drills and retrain me on any if necessary, and get that checkride DONE!

I have a few questions right of the top of my head, hoping someone has some good insight and I'll keep posting in this thread as I make progress.

-I need a new flight bag. I saw sportys crosswind flight gear bag. thinking of getting this one.
-I have a david clark headset - works fine, but if I can find a good noise canceling I would be interested. I am still a little shy on the coms so being able to hear and speak clearly is helpful.
-I am doing FAR/AIM Part 61 (I don't need college cred, I am just flying for fun)
-I have an older set of King DVDs I am going to run through.
-I need a good ONLINE testing system so I can drill drill drill. Both for Written exam as well as anything related to checkride.
-I would love to look into using my IPAD for flying.
-Right now I will be doing work in a 152, but I will get checked out in a 172 with Garman 1000 (I know this will take a little computer work to get to know it)
-I have a mac - so any software needs to work with that.
-I need a good Checkride checklist.
-I joined AOPA

Thanks in advance for help, I look forward to reading through the posts here and trying to get info on my own as well as waiting to hear your replies.

For a bag, I got a Brightline bag soon after my PPL. Liked it.

But now I have a $45 computer backpack I got at walmart that I like a little better. Compartments are spacious and hold everything I need plus headset. And it carries well on my shoulder.

For the headset, if you DC's serve you well for now. Stay with that. Use the money not spent on replacement to go fly and build experience. In mean time, borrow other pilots sets to try out and see which best fits your need.

Hey all - I was a student pilot a long while back and I have about 55 hours and had all of my requirements met, gearing up for my checkride when my CFI (good friend) got a new job and I got married so the whole thing fell apart. I am finally going back to get my license completed.

I met with an instructor today and found a good flight club. Now I need to brush up on my written and practical, get my medical exam, go for some brush up flights with the instructor so he can put me through the drills and retrain me on any if necessary, and get that checkride DONE!

I have a few questions right of the top of my head, hoping someone has some good insight and I'll keep posting in this thread as I make progress.

-I need a new flight bag. I saw sportys crosswind flight gear bag. thinking of getting this one.
-I have a david clark headset - works fine, but if I can find a good noise canceling I would be interested. I am still a little shy on the coms so being able to hear and speak clearly is helpful.
-I am doing FAR/AIM Part 61 (I don't need college cred, I am just flying for fun)
-I need a good ONLINE testing system so I can drill drill drill. Both for Written exam as well as anything related to checkride.
-Right now I will be doing work in a 152, but I will get checked out in a 172 with Garman 1000 (I know this will take a little computer work to get to know it)
-I joined AOPA

Thanks in advance for help, I look forward to reading through the posts here and trying to get info on my own as well as waiting to hear your replies.

Changes to the AIM come out every 6 months; regulations do not change that frequently but they do change. There have been significant changes in airport communications procedures in the last year or so. Check the copyright date on that King material.

Bob Gardner

I carry a backpack that holds my DSLR and iPad
I like the backpack better than a bag personally.

Sounds like you know what you want.
Just need to make it happen.

Changes to the AIM come out every 6 months; regulations do not change that frequently but they do change. There have been significant changes in airport communications procedures in the last year or so. Check the copyright date on that King material.

Bob Gardner

There is a NOTAM if you fly into OSH too. :lol:

;)

*Testing- exams4pilots.com or Sporty's Study Buddy. Be aware that questions have changed recently; nothing major for the private, except FAR else ADF questions.
*iPAD- Go ahead and use it, but be aware that on the checkride all the assistance functions (and potentially the entire iPAD) will be failed by the examiner.
*checklist- ??? Grab a current copy of the PTS, read Captain Ron's checkride sticky.

Thanks so far guys.

Funny I didn't even think if a backpack (maybe I was too concerned about my headset). Ill check that option out!!
Aggiemike88 - good idea to try some friends headsets out first.
Bobmrg - good point about the changes - I'm hoping king has some version change list that I could look up and visit separately instead I running out and buying a whole new DVD set, ill post if I find anything or just get new DVDs.
Warthog1984 - thanks for the links, and your right about the ipad - I think ill wait until after check ride.

Sent from my iPhone

I have a few questions right of the top of my head, hoping someone has some good insight and I'll keep posting in this thread as I make progress....

-I joined AOPA

Hi

I got back after 31 years. Here are my thoughts:

I have a Brightline and have a Sporty's backback. I like and use both.

-I have a David Clark headset - works fine, but if I can find a good noise canceling I would be interested. I am still a little shy on the coms so being able to hear and speak clearly is helpful.

I have Lightspeed Zulu 2s which I love. I think the that DC just came out with an ANR that are less expensive than Zulu 2s.

I joined a flying CLub

- I have an older set of King DVDs I am going to run through.

Call Andrea Stout at King and upgrade for 50% of new price. Get the internet version. Tell her Arthur referred you.

ASA has a good app that I used for the ipad/iphone. Sportys has one as well.

PM me. I used foreflight, a weight and balance program, pilot calcs, electronic E6B, and tons of other apps.

Stick to one plane. You'll get through it faster.

Log 10 Pro for e logbook and there is an iPad app that synchs. . Helps for IACRA stuff and is a good backup. Foreflight is a great app for ipad. Most stuff is geared for iPad. Kind works on both.

King or ASA

-I joined AOPA

Good move. Discount on knowledge test.

Also, get Bob Gardner's book - Complete Private Pilot. Doesn't put you to sleep and you learn. Well written

For communications work, Comm 1 VFR, Squawk VFR, and Say again Please are three good resources. Listened to Say Again Please and Squawk VFR while driving and background at work....I've been told my radio work is descent.

Good luck and welcome back

Arthur

Last edited:
-I joined AOPA

1. Welcome!
2. I use Sporty's iPad quick case flight gear bag
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/19517
3. Don't worry about the headset. Why fix what isn't broken?
4. Try looking at some youtube videos and the free FAA Airplane Flying Handbook (available online as a pdf). You can find a lot of good information. Your King DVD's might be a little outdated and not current.
5. Lots of people like the Sheppard and Dauntless online test prep. There are also others like ASA and Gleim.
6. Get the Foreflight app for your Ipad
7. Don't worry about the G1000. You'll do most, if not all your flying by visual references outside of the cockpit.
8. Look at the POH for the checklist. Copy the procedures onto a MS word document and just make your own. No need to pay for checklists.
9. Good luck with your training!

- You'll go through several bags until you find one that works for you. Kinda like sunglasses, I guess.
- That headset will be fine. Hopefully you'll get a chance to try some others...perhaps some of the new ANR's and see if you want to spend the $$.
I'd recommend the Quiet Technologies Halo. I bought a pair of Zulu 2's during my PPL training and loved them. I bought these about 6 months ago and haven't worn my Zulu's since. Love them.
- I bought the Sporty's DVD's when I started my PPL because I was doing my own groundschool. I found the preparing for XC's and weather info helpful but for just about everything else I could have done without.
- Sporty's Study Buddy - pay the $10 to get the explanations. Seriously, it's 90% of what you need question wise to pass the PPL. I augmented with Gleim and Dauntless but turns out Sporty's could have done it for me. Just start doing 10 questions a day through your checkride and you'll be ready to go.
- The deFacto software for iPad is ForeFlight. I bought my subscription about halfway through my PPL...never used it until I had all my XC hours required undermy belt and then I did a few others with the Garmin GPS in the plane and ForeFlight just to get used to it. Your DPE will let you use it for certain things like a source for checking weather (mine actually asked me to look up the prog charts with ForeFlight) for example but they won't let you use it flying.
- Go grab the PDF's off the FAA website - print out the practical test standards and they provide you with a checklist to use to make sure you show up with all the stuff you need.
- I did the free AOPA thing once I had my student license...my money goes to EAA now.

These videos will be SUPER helpful once you get closer to your checkride. I wish I would have found them earlier in my training but I watched them both multiple times taking notes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVE-gIeZUpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xz0kfBvEp4

Probably just about everyone has seen this one which is a mock up of an oral exam for the PPL. It's a little more structured I think that most but pretty much the same stuff in one way or another was covered in all of our checkrides so it's interesting to go through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr483zBbQKw

Last edited:
Back