Starting again on my instrument rating tomorrow

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Well, I am starting again tomorrow. I am actually a bit nervous. I had all of it about done two years ago but was unhappy with my basic stick and rudder skills so I got my tw endorsement in a Luscombe and flew it for a year. Now I am starting again and with a new instructor. My old one was OK but just OK and a bit too lackadaisical for my engineer's mind. My new CFII is an AME, ATP, and the local Beech instruction guru. I expect him to be tough on me. He briefed me on what we will be doing and it is basically a full, tough refresher checkride. Gulp.

Funny you mention engineer. I have a aviation safety guy who is also an engineer for a safe pilot. He is also a friend.
Man when he gets in the plane to help me, he is brutal. I am glad. We have an understanding that if I need a break, I am taking it.
I think he and my CFII collaborate lol
He does not instruct, but he sure does point out stuff real well!

Funny you mention engineer. I have a aviation safety guy who is also an engineer for a safe pilot. He is also a friend.
Man when he gets in the plane to help me, he is brutal. I am glad. We have an understanding that if I need a break, I am taking it.

Good luck on getting yours done!

Good luck on getting yours done!

Thanks!

Good luck on the new rating,congrats for not giving up.

I just want to say, good luck. And we're all counting on you.

airplane_seppuku.jpg

Good luck! You will have it finished in no time. I just finished mine and it has made me a better pilot all around.

Thanks to all.

Well, I made it home safely. LOL. 2.2 hours on the 172, KTMB - KTNT- KTMB - (4) approaches, holding, steep turns, stalls, UA, Basically the gamut. Definitely have a lot to work on. My problem is not in flying the airplane under the hood, it is in cockpit organization, situational awareness flying the beginning of the approach, holds, things like that. Got a bit frustrating but I will stick with it. I stopped two years ago because my stick and rudder skills were weak. They are considerably better now and I will work out the rest.

Huzzah~! Best of luck finishing up. Did getting the tw endorsement help?

Thanks to all.

Well, I made it home safely. LOL. 2.2 hours on the 172, KTMB - KTNT- KTMB - (4) approaches, holding, steep turns, stalls, UA, Basically the gamut. Definitely have a lot to work on. My problem is not in flying the airplane under the hood, it is in cockpit organization, situational awareness flying the beginning of the approach, holds, things like that. Got a bit frustrating but I will stick with it. I stopped two years ago because my stick and rudder skills were weak. They are considerably better now and I will work out the rest.

The visualization and situational awareness you are referring to are exactly the thing MSFS can help with. The value isn't the little round fake guages, but the maps that trace your approaches and holds, and the vertical profiles the program generates as you "fly" the approach. Review them afterwards.

If you have a good understanding of the procedures as taught by you instructor, you can get a lot of good clarity sitting in front of a sim.

It'll come.

Last edited:
Huzzah~! Best of luck finishing up. Did getting the tw endorsement help?

It helped tremendously with my self-confidence as far as stick and rudder. With my concerns over that out of the way, I can concentrate on the IR work better.

The visualization and situational awareness you are referring to are exactly the thing MSFS can help with. The value isn't the little round fake guages, but the maps that trace your approaches and holds, and the vertical profiles the program generates as you "fly" the approach. Review them afterwards.

If you have a good understanding of the procedures as taught by you instructor, you can get a lot of good clarity sitting in front of a sim.

It'll come.

That is true re the sim. I have a decent sim set-up that I picked up cheap from a charity auction on eBay, an older Elite system that I need to set up. I also have MSFS just not loaded at the moment. I also have the separate flight training program for it.

I told my CFII that I do not want to fly next week, I just want to sit in the airplane with him and work out some of the CRM issues. It makes little sense to fly if a big problem of mine is how to write something down (I am kinda big and a lefty so I have trouble figuring out something as simple as how to write stuff down in a cramped cockpit).

You might talk to your instructor about employing the sim BEFORE you go out and get into the air. The immersive courses do it this way and it can be very productive.

It's significantly less expensive, and you both get the chance to identify and correct mistakes without burning $50 of fuel and hour. And it's a lot faster to hit a few keystrokes and mouse clicks to get back to the beginning of a procedure or hold versus flying there.

Writing in itself or organizing a clearance? Do you use CRAFT for clearances? CPM was hard for me as well. I always printed my plates off from airnav and printed it book style as to fit on my knee board. Then plain paper under all those to write on. The sectional I would fold up to the area I'm in and stick it under my leg. Once I had that going I found I didn't have paper all over the place which helped a lot.

Good luck..it will come together!

Back