starters

safestart1936

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Harold Hamp
I built a battery operated starter for my 1940 Taylor craft because it got away from me one time and got it STC'd- Works wonderful. I have built a few more up for different aircraft. It works on any 65-100HP continental or 65HP lycoming engine:goofy:

I built a battery operated starter for my 1940 Taylor craft because it got away from me one time and got it STC'd- Works wonderful. I have built a few more up for different aircraft. It works on any 65-100HP continental or 65HP lycoming engine:goofy:
Gotta see that. Got pictures or a website?

Dan

Welcome to POA. Tell us a little about yourself. Congratulations on your idea.

I used to know a Michigan A&P named Dan Hamp. I wonder if he's related?

I met a guy a few years ago that had an Aeronca Champ (or Chief) that had a starter that was similar to a kick starter on a motorcycle. You pulled a bar in the cockpit and it spun the engine. I believe he told me it was a factory option.

It was. It is called the McDowell Aero-Safety starter. There are many Aeronca Chiefs with them, some Aeronca Champs and a few Taylorcraft and Luscombe aircraft equipped with the same type of starter. In this day and age, the parts for them are much sought and the starter is considered a great complement in the Aeroncas. Many current owners are seeking to add the starter capability since it works quite well and only adds 9# to the empty weight of the airframe.

There is one on a very nice Luscombe at my home field. The drill kit was installed by a local AP. the owner, 77 years old decided he was too old to chase it if it got away from him. He has over 9000 hours, many in taildraggers and many in gliders. It might look weird but works just great, especially in cold weather when you'd normally curse the engine, wearing yourself out trying to start it. It takesup very little room under the panel. He gets about 20 starts on one charge.

Back