Starter bush plane, help me spend my money

Airbus Flieger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AirbusFlieger
Hi folks,

My son is 14 1/2 and we are ready for him to begin flight training. For reference, I'm an airline pilot and keep current in 172's, fly light twins from time to time and I owned a Beech Travel Air for ten years, doing owner assisted annuals and all FAA allowed owner maintenance.

We live in northwestern VA, and during a puppy reunion of one of our litters/owners on the Shenandoah R. a Cub serenely putted by down the river... a light bulb went off in my head.

Forget buying a 172 or Cherokee, get a light bush plane!

I have time in a Champ and an SJN years ago so I have some exposure. I can't afford an SJN (remember when you could get one in decent shape for 50-60k??? And Champs are underpowered for our use.

So, besides a Cub, what should we be looking for?

Budget is up to 120K for purchase, prefer 100k or less so I can do some customization.

I'm not afraid of a project airplane (not an A&P but a former military jet maintainer with GA repair station experience).

Must haves:
-suitable for camping. Two hours endurance minimum plus 400-450 pounds people/load.
-at least enough engine hours left for one year of flying to build engine fund.
-airworthy, or if a project, good airframe with no structural issues.

Nice to have:
-1/2 or less of engine TBO
-upgraded engine (stc'd for more power already done)
-actively flying aircraft
-tundra style tires
-STOL

At my budget this is a tall ask... but I am patient, and I can pull the trigger quickly when an opportunity presents itself.

A used Vashon Ranger might come close. I think you could get one for around 120k-130k. A bit less load than you want, but when MOSAIC goes through Vashon expects to raise it. Nice planes, new, modern avionics, lots of room.

Citabria/decathalon. Possibly a RV6 with 600 tires (I think outrageous tundra tires are overrated, look cool…). 170 with a 180? Stinson 108 with a o-470?

I could spend your money a thousand ways!! Welcome.

Edit: Oh ya, the Ranger, I know one for sale, asking 130, never gonna get it, I’d offer 100 and see where it falls out.

Citabria 7GCBC
Scout 8GCBC
Stinson 108
Piper pacer
Maule
Cessna 170 OR 172 tailwheel converted

Note, the Stinson, pacer and maule all have the same design roots.

Last edited:
How serious are you wanting to be.??

I have hundreds of intentional off airport landings in a older C-206.

Zenith CH750 or 801 with a Rotax or Viking engine. Best bang for your buck.

A used Vashon Ranger might come close. I think you could get one for around 120k-130k. A bit less load than you want, but when MOSAIC goes through Vashon expects to raise it. Nice planes, new, modern avionics, lots of room.

This fits your budget, can land and takeoff short, and you can build it new pretty quickly with your son, and do all the maintenance.

I’ve had my eye on these for a couple years, but can’t justify a second bird at the moment; plus I would have to not sleep with all my other endeavors. Which planet has the longest days? Lol!

Look for a Maule M4. Only 2 seats, but same basic airframe as the Maule MX7. Newer ones normally came with the 180 Hp Lycoming O-360 engines. Older ones often had 210 Hp Continental IO 360 engines. There's one in Barnstormers right now for $68K. Longer empennage than a Pacer, so more rudder leverage for recovering from an incipient ground loop. Better useful load than the PA-18 and you'd have side-by-side seating. I think that is better for instructing. Legendary backcountry and short field capability. BD Maule demonstrated his plane's short field capabilities by getting airborne before exiting the hangar!
Maule-Hangar TO2.jpg

Zenith CH750 or 801 with a Rotax or Viking engine. Best bang for your buck.

A friend has an older Zenith 701 with a Corvair conversion. Good plane to be sure.

But a well built 750 with a Rotax would be the ticket. If you want one today ...

Has a 130 HP UL 350is, fuel injected direct drive engine.

1700422155898.png

Older Husky. 110-130k and they have good short field performance and hold 50 gallons useable.

Super Cubs are relatively easy to obtain within the stated budget again. If the goal is initial flight training plus having fun there isn’t a better choice in my opinion.

Look for a Maule M4. Only 2 seats, but same basic airframe as the Maule MX7.

Maule M4 has 4 seats.
The original M4 had 4 seats (a sling seat in the back that’s easily removed). They came out with a stripped-down version a few years ago that was a two-seater.

the M4 does have the short wing like a Pacer, and I’d recommend VGs on it.

i had an M4-145, which was underpowered but a lot of fun. I could load my bicycle, tent, sleeping bag, etc., and head out on adventures.

I gave some instruction in an M4-210…I’ve never liked that IO-360, but a lot of people do.

Another airplane you might consider is the Scout…basically a Champ on steroids.

There is a nice super Cub for sale here in NC. It’s on EBay and been for sale a while. Could probably get it for 100k or a little less.

Maule M4 has 4 seats.
The M4 180V was the more recent iteration of the M4 design. The M4 180V S2 was a 2-seater and did not have the barn door on the aft right side of the plane. That was the last version of the M4 that Maule built. Only 10 of these are active in the US registry and all were built in the mid 2000s. The two I've flown in were built in 2006 and 2007.

Citabria/Scout, Super Cub, and numerous EAB variants.

Is there really much opportunity for true "bush" flying in your area, though? Or do you really mean grass strips? If the latter, you can widen your choices to the usual GA suspects.

Haven't seen the Highlander mentioned...

Back