Started Tailwheel Training Today

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
First Tailwheel flight today out of Red Stewart Airfield. Flying the 65HP Aeronca Champ is certainly different from my normal Warrior. Minimum panel including no inclinometer and a altimeter that bounced about 100 feet up or down at random. The sight picture out the front is amazing. The instructor had to tell me to keep lowering the nose to stop the climb.

Basic airwork and three landings and takeoffs in about a 20 degree crosswind to the grass strip. No bounces and stayed witih the cones lining the field. :yes:

This is going to be fun, especially since the CFI does the hand propping. ;)

Cheers

PS. Remembering to keep the stick all the way back on the ground is another thing. :D

Last edited:
You just stepped into one of the most rewarding types of flying out there! If I could go back and relearn my tailwheel endorsement I would in a heartbeat. enjoy!

Last edited:
Congrats!!! Those guys are pretty good down there! Who is your instructor? Pics are always required when a tailwheel is involved. Are you going to get to hand prop it?

-VanDy

Congrats!!! Those guys are pretty good down there! Who is your instructor? Pics are always required when a tailwheel is involved. Are you going to get to hand prop it?

-VanDy

Emerson Stewart is my CFI. Pics will follow eventually. ;)

Since I have enough trouble getting into the seat as it is, one more task before folding and unfolding these ancient knees after hand propping is a task best left to the expert.

Cheers

Emerson Stewart is my CFI. Pics will follow eventually. ;)

Since I have enough trouble getting into the seat as it is, one more task before folding and unfolding these ancient knees after hand propping is a task best left to the expert.

Cheers

But which Emerson? Lol

For those not familiar with red Stewart Airfield, there are currently three Emerson Stewarts there. Cubby (runs the place/mechanic) Emerson (cubbys son and Ace (Emerson's son)

Looking forward to pics!!

-VanDy

I like waynesville. Been a while since I have flown there, but its a good place

That's a proper aircraft!

I first learned how to fly in a 7AC with a 85hp, you'll have a blast and be a better pilot for it!

Just remember to look ALL the way down the runway to the infinity point.

I was curious, it appears the 2 emerisons that have a valid medical (JR and the IIIrd) are also seaplane and glider pilots, as well as A&Ps, with Jr also holding a IA. Impressive

Last edited:
PS. Remembering to keep the stick all the way back on the ground is another thing. :D
Ha! Wait 'til you start the wheel landings- "fly it on and keep the stick forward!" is exactly the opposite of what they drill into your skull learning with a nosewheel. :yikes:
Enjoy the Champ- it has some real old-timey handling characteristices, but the first time you make a really pretty steep turn in it, or a really sweet 3-pointer, you will fall hopelessly in love. It will also perform much better with only you aboard. They are underpowered for sure, but only clumsy in the hands of the inexperienced.

More flying today. Biggest difference is the altimeter seems frozen but to be expected lugging two large bodies with 65 HP. ;)

5 Knot cross wind and the Champ is still in one piece. Did some steep turns and felt like an observation pilot in WWII.

The Stewart Air Services airplane that I am using.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 41
Enjoy!

100 hours in the 65 HP Luscombe, hand-propping all the way. To the degree that I am a pilot, that little airplane had a lot to do with it. Sadly, the annual expired last month and the owner is not planning on doing another any time soon. Wants to sell it and is even talking about parting it out. Very sad.

More flying today. Biggest difference is the altimeter seems frozen but to be expected lugging two large bodies with 65 HP. ;)

5 Knot cross wind and the Champ is still in one piece. Did some steep turns and felt like an observation pilot in WWII.

The Stewart Air Services airplane that I am using.

Cheers

I am glad the training there is working out for you. KI went there last Spring and quit after the second lesson of being almost yelled at by the CFI I had. He was frustrated with me and I got really frustrated with him.

Won't be going back unless I get someone else. Or somewhere else to go which I believe would be Salem Airpark, NE Ohio.

David

Well congrats Geezer and welcome to the club. The nostalgia along with the skillset you learn are both such a reward it's unbelievable. You will end up buying your own taildragger after learning these skills and then the next phase comes - learning off airport, bush pilot techniques like full brake balancing and wheel landings become important for different reasons like keeping your tailwheel attached to the airframe ;) You have huge world you can explore behind the tailwheel endorsement, it will be great and glad you've taken the first steps! Enjoy!

I call bs, you can land a Warrior with your feet glued to the floor :p

Depends on the winds. I'd love to go do it, but am leery of the thought of spending good money to learn to fly something I may never fly again.

nice, a good friend of mine flies the cubs there occaisionally, when he isn't flying gliders at Caesar Creek

I call bs, you can land a Warrior with your feet glued to the floor :p

An old hangar tale about instructing in a Ercoupe goes like this:

Student was making a good approach, the instructor sat with his arms crossed looking out the right side. The touchdown was a little rough and when the instructor turned to the student he saw him sitting there, with his arms crossed looking out the left side.

Ha! Wait 'til you start the wheel landings- "fly it on and keep the stick forward!" is exactly the opposite of what they drill into your skull learning with a nosewheel.

:yeahthat:

Even if taxiing with a tailwind? Or stopped on a taxiway waiting your turn, with a tailwind? :yikes:

Just different from a nose gear aircraft on roll out from touchdown. Rest of the time one the ground driving around its standard positioning.

Cheers

Good day today. Six landings & TO's. Landings on centerline, on speed, good flare, good roll out. Pick any three of four. TO's all good. :D

Busy traffic, 172, another Champ, Pawnee with a glider tow and a RC model sharing the field/pattern. Calls for lots of eyes out with no radio. ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day Geezer.

I'm doing some grass field stuff this weekend. It's always a hoot to use a taildragger as it was intended. I can't wait.

Sounds like a good day Geezer.

I'm doing some grass field stuff this weekend. It's always a hoot to use a taildragger as it was intended. I can't wait.

Are you headed to T14 for Walt's fly in?

Great fun, Geezer. This old guy spent the first three decades of his flying life on conventional gear, aka tailwheels. I still find it jarring when people call a tricycle, conventional gear. We used to sneeringly call them kiddie cars. Ahhh, but the times they are a changing.
Every pilot should be capable of handling a conventional gear ship in a crosswind - but they aren't (sigh)
Every pilot should read "Stick And Rudder" - but they don't (sigh)
Every pilot should have a grasp of the rapidity of the advance in flying machines.
For instance, does it occur to us to remember that there were only 25 years between the Wright brothers making that first, struggling, wobbly flight and Yeager punching through the sound barrier. TWENTY FIVE YEARS!
The fifteen year old who watched the Wright's was forty when he watched Yeager.

Great fun, Geezer. This old guy spent the first three decades of his flying life on conventional gear, aka tailwheels. I still find it jarring when people call a tricycle, conventional gear. We used to sneeringly call them kiddie cars. Ahhh, but the times they are a changing.
Every pilot should be capable of handling a conventional gear ship in a crosswind - but they aren't (sigh)
Every pilot should have a grasp of the rapidity of the advance in flying machines.
For instance, does it occur to us to remember that there were only 25 years between the Wright brothers making that first, struggling, wobbly flight and Yeager punching through the sound barrier. TWENTY FIVE YEARS!
Ol Chuck wasn't breaking sound barriers in 1928:no:

snip..

Errr :dunno:

Good day today. Six landings & TO's. Landings on centerline, on speed, good flare, good roll out. Pick any three of four. TO's all good.

And, as it turns out, flying a conventional gear aircraft isn't the big scary deal that some make it out to be. Eh?

And, as it turns out, flying a conventional gear aircraft isn't the big scary deal that some make it out to be. Eh?

Like anything new, it takes some time to become skilled. Some take longer to master than others. Difference between TW and tri gear is easier than learning to fly in the first place. :lol:

Cheers

25 years?

Every pilot should read and comprehend aviation history - but they don't. (sigh)

Too bad advancements in science don't happen that fast today - ohh wait, could it be because our youth are all behind video games and iPhones???? nahhhh... that can't be it.

Back