Started my checkout....

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
...in a G1000 DA40. What a Hoot!!! Oh but my head hurts......glass just doesn't look like steam guages. And I've never used a garmin, only bendix king. I've been book studying, but I've still got a lot of thumbs. Just did minimal work with the garmin (the necessities and a little bit more), mostly it was about flying the Star. It is so sweet and light on it's feet....it's just a lot of fun!:D I was surprised how easy it is to fly, especially if you don't try to fly it. A little guidance is all it needs.

Another lesson tomorrow with it more focused on the glass. Then an early flight Sunday working IFR and finishing it up Monday. Hope I've got enough brain cells left to absorb all this.....:dunno: :D :D

You can do it, Kaye! You have more than enough brain cells.:redface:

Keep up the good work! I bet you get finished sooner than you think.

Got it done last night! It was a grueling weekend.

Saturday was approach after approach. Sunday, started with an approach, that went very well, and then the failures began. :eek: By the time we put the plane away, I never wanted to see another g1000 in my life! Last night, more approaches and more failures. I'm not proficient, but my CFI considers me safe and making good decisions, so I'm good to go. Still have the ocassional outgrowth of several thumbs when I start pushing buttons.

The one thing I really missed during system failures were the steam gauges. I understand those puppies and can keep my situational awareness. With the G1000, I've still got some work to do to restructure the brain cells so I can find all the info that's still available after a PFD failure so I know where the heck I am.

Oh, and the other tough part of the training......spittin' out the right tail number. Sheeesh!

Thursday I'm going flying for fun, and to play with buttons. The plane's gone next week, but the following week I'm scheduled to go up with another CFI buddy for more approaches before I head to 6Y9.

Kaye

What sort of ground training did you do on the G1000 before getting in the plane?

On my own, Max Trescott's book and John & Martha DVD's (my CFI knows my study habits). Then before each flight, about an hour with the CFI and a half hour de-brief afterwards.

Would like to have some type of simulator software to improve my skills.

Thanks! It's even aircraft specific.
Yeah, but be SURE you check out the system requirements! I haven't been able to get it to run on any of our computers, though I admit I haven't spent much time on it, and we have a lot of laptops.

Also note two versions: version 6 is $4 and doesn't support Intel integrated video. That's what's available for the Diamond, Mooney, and others. Version 8 is $25 and doesn't note a restriction on Intel integrated video and implies that there is multi-monitor support. That is available for the Cessnas and Pipers.

Last edited:
Back