Start Date for Airman Certification Standards(ACS)????

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
I know this is a training question, but I thought I would post this here since there is more traffic on this board. I am wrapping up my commercial training under Part 61 with about 30 more hours of flight time. I haven't taken my written yet, but have been studying & preparing for it. I will be taking it soon.

I am curious if anyone has heard when the FAA is going to put the ACS in place of PTS? And how will this effect me if the FAA implements this change before I get my commercial ticket? Will I be grandfathered in under PTS? Also are the written tests being changed too?

Thanks for the help guys!

I heard that this was to happen this fall sometime. Anyone know?

The PTS are not supposed to change at all, only integrated into one document. Tests are changing. Only know Private pilot supposed to be in effect now followed by Instrument some time.

That's all I am sure of.

David

Don't hold your breath. You will be past the checkride with a ticket in your pocket before the change takes place....and the ACS will have no impact on the knowledge exams.

Bob Gardner

It will probably have little to no effect on your training. It is expected that the document will bring the knowledge portion of training more into line with the flight portion. Also, it will clearly identify knowledge test topics and make prepping for the oral exam easier. The changes will likely be more of form than of substance. The maneuvers and tolerances in your Certification Test (what the Practical Test will be called) probably will change very little if at all. The Private Pilot ACS isn't expected until early 2016.

Thanks for the help guys! I was kinda worried about preparing for a moving target if this was going to happen soon.

Thanks for the help guys! I was kinda worried about preparing for a moving target if this was going to happen soon.
Don't over think it... Even if it did change, it's still the same flying no matter the format of the book you're being tested against.

Don't over think it... Even if it did change, it's still the same flying no matter the format of the book you're being tested against.

Exactly. The "standards" themselves will not change, only the way they are presented on paper. The maneuvers, airmanship skills and knowledge needed to pass a certificate exam will not change. A steep turn will still be the same steep turn you learned under the PTS. :D

As write-stuff said above, it's just a way for the FAA to merge the standards for flight training, ground training and checkride prep into one consolidated standards document.

Back