Star Wars thread - spoilers included

1 - Why was there a map to Luke Skywalker? WHO TF drew a map to Luke, then split it into 3 parts, then gave part to a droid? This was the premise of the film, shouldn't it have been a good premise?

The map is a nod to gamer fans. Which may also tie into the recent release of the new Star Wars game. Several movies appealing to a gamer demographic have some type of map and Easter Egg scenario embedded in them.
To name a couple:

• Resident Evil Franchise (a spin-off of a game franchise)
  • Sucker Punch
  • Alien vs Predator (a spin-off of 2 movie franchises turned into a game turned into a movie franchise again.)

It makes sense in that the weapon required a large sorce of energy to power it.

The planet is no longer a planet.... it's a deathstar, the last thing they're concerned with is the planet being a planet. They would have a heat source as they just consumed a Star......continued base of operations wouldn't be a problem as they turned the planet into a large vessel. You do remember they fired the lasers once before? Which means it consumed a different star.

That's my take on it anyways

So, does the planet move from system to system, sucking up stars? That makes every shot a multiple planet killer. Whatever planet they target plus whatever system they shoot from will become dead.

So, does the planet move from system to system, sucking up stars? That makes every shot a multiple planet killer. Whatever planet they target plus whatever system they shoot from will become dead.

I only watched it once, from what I gathered, each shot kills/consumes a sun. Based on the fact that they killed a couple planets with the shot they fired, they needed to reload....or consume another sun

Creative bankruptcy to the highest level.
It is disturbingly the same story as the first film.
New characters are very thin.
The new girl is a "Mary Sue" fan fiction character as others are saying.. Amazingly good at everything with no flaws and learns in seconds what Luke took to learn years. Bonds with one of the big characters quickly. Look it up. It's dead on. "Mary Sue". Bad writing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

FN has no story purpose whatsoever, why is this character here? Oh yeah, diversity and they need a new Han next time I guess.

Another bad guy in a helmet, another Tarkin, another Emperor behind the scenes, another super death weapon, another droid with a secret message, another trench run, another empire, another rebellion, another another another it goes on and on.

And Han goes out like a chump, sucker punched by his "b" word son. Failed father, failed husband, failed leader, runs off to champion a unremarkable life. That's not my Han. Sorry.

Luke runs off after failing, Leia apparently can't keep the Empire down, so rebellion fail.

Bad writing, unoriginal, predictable to a level that is off the charts.

But hey it's pretty right?

Rogue Squadron is my only hope. At least Abrams has nothing to do with that! And they aren't going to focus on Jedi or Skywalkers for a change.

There is so much the original Star Wars is based on.
Myth, fairy tales, cliffhangers, serials, samurai films.
SO much a truly creative team could have tapped into to bring us totally NEW stories that would blow us away. But no. Same story.
Rebooquel. Nostalgia they call it, "homages", "easter eggs" and people squeal in delight.

Is this what passes for good now days?

OH, John Williams.
WTF?
He has been fading for years but there was no memorable themes to speak of in this film. Nothing.
The first films we're filled with grand memorable themes. I remember playing the record, yes vinyl to death back in the day. It was a big part of the joy of watching those films.

Last edited:
Didn't Ren Kylo die when the Megadeath Star imploded?

Just saw it. Glad I'm not a theater snob since it was played from a DVD and projected onto a hangar door. Definitely didn't have a theater sound system either.

My prediction is that Rey is related to Luke and Leia somehow. Possibly it's Han and Leia's granddaughter and no one knows she's Kylo's daughter, except her mother of course. She might make an appearance in the end. Who knows. Similar to the way Luke and Leia were kept secret from Vader, Rey was kept a secret from Kylo due to his having wiped out the new Jedis. Having a daughter to love will bring him back from the dark side in the last movie.

Han will make some sort of reappearance. Possibly in the Jedi fashion, coming back from the dead as a sort of ghost. Or maybe he managed to survive his fall, the way Luke did in TESB and then caught a ride with his son to wherever he escaped from. I mean, if Han Solo can hold onto a submarine and ride it to the secret sub-base cave, he can probably hold onto a tie fighter in the vacuum of space and ride it to the next Death Star type weapon that's being built.

I mean, if Han Solo can hold onto a submarine and ride it to the secret sub-base cave,

One of my favorite parts. And I don't remember anyone I talked to ever questioning it. One of the great action/adventure movies of all time!

I'm surprized the "science" types out here have not caught the GLARING mistake vis a vis the infamous "Kessel Run".

I'm surprized the "science" types out here have not caught the GLARING mistake vis a vis the infamous "Kessel Run".

are you talking about the 12 parsecs?

According to Star Wars: The Essential Atlas, the Kessel Run was an 18-parsec (59 light-year) route used by smugglers to get around Imperial blockades. So why would Solo describe how quickly he traveled it using a word that described distance?It turns out that the expanded universe of the Star Wars franchise — the additional books and content created within the Star Wars universe but outside of the films — contains an answer to that question. The Essential Atlas maps a Kessel Run whose path travels around “The Maw,” a cluster of black holes. To cut down on the distance traveled, pilots could dangerously skirt the edges of the black holes, while trying to avoid spaghettification. If Solo was a skilled enough — or crazy enough — pilot to deviate from the typical route and fly close enough to the black holes to cut nearly 20 light-years off his space odometer, then his ship was fast indeed — the power required to stay out of the gape of an event horizon is something worth bragging about.

ARGH... references to more books and "expanded content"!!! I watch MOVIES... I don't read freaking background material books in order to attempt to follow the damn stories in the MOVIES!!!!!!

(Perhaps this should be posted in the Pet Peeve thread...)

ARGH... references to more books and "expanded content"!!! I watch MOVIES... I don't read freaking background material books in order to attempt to follow the damn stories in the MOVIES!!!!!!

(Perhaps this should be posted in the Pet Peeve thread...)

haha, me neither. I just know how to google. :lol: Seriously, I saw someone answer this question on another forum years ago.

Old. Really, really old.

The "science types" caught that in 1977 and got over it shortly after. As a glaring science error, it's relatively mild. Just a wrong term.

Not anywhere near as bad as making Greedo shoot first or even thinking about Jar Jar Binks.

But they missed spacecraft banking to make turns and something the size of a Twin Baron being capable of moving faster than light speed navigating "on manual."

But they missed spacecraft banking to make turns and something the size of a Twin Baron being capable of moving faster than light speed navigating "on manual."

No, that wasn't missed. Just not cared about.

Same thing for sound in space.

There really only have been a few science fiction movies that didn't confuse spacecraft with airplanes.

Those of us who know it's science fiction don't mind a few liberties being taken, as long as they aren't central to the story.

Why is there earth-like gravity on all of these spaceships?

Gravity polarizer. Some sort of franistan that does it. That doesn't bother me at all. No more than having something the sizes of my Mooney able reenter atmospheres and travel in hyperspace. Or sound in space for that matter. You want to worry about that, where does the oxygen come from on a desert planet devoid of plant life?

Face it, Star Wars is fantasy. It about magicians who travel from land to land in magic boats. I care more about well drawn characters and good story telling, laughably absent in this iteration. Death Star, space bars, heroic droids, even the flight down the canyon thingie, all from the original! That's not homage, that's wholesale lack of imagination.

The saddest part is I'm not in the least surprised. This is JJ Abrams, after all.

Or faster than light travel, time travel, oxidizing atmospheres on everything, universal languages, and so on.

It's fiction, and has to be treated as such. Factually perfect movies would be boring as hell as it would take centuries to reach another star. One of the criticisms of 2001 (which is relatively accurate) is that it spends much too much time on dynamics relative to story development. To the point that almost every first time viewer ends the movie with "WTF was that?"

Maybe a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away they had different technology than we have. And maybe they used different words for stuff.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Didn't like how the female character just "knew" how to use the force all of a sudden plus had lightsaber skills. Where's the training???

Didn't like how the female character just "knew" how to use the force all of a sudden plus had lightsaber skills. Where's the training???

Maybe Luke was retarded and the force is easy for anyone with high midi-chlorian counts. He was pretty whiny on Dagobah when he first met Yoda in episode IV.

Deus in Vis.

She had to suddenly learn those things because without it the script would have died a worse death than she would have. So the screenwriters...errr...Force controlled what she did even when she didn't know what she needed to do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• luke_ani_rey.JPG
    luke_ani_rey.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 62
Just to keep it going...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/please-stop-spreading-this-nonsense-that-rey-from-star-1749134275

There's another post someone made about why Finn & Rey were able to hold their own against Kylo Ren that I can't get to thank to my work's firewall. But basically it boils down to he got shot by Chewie's bowcaster (which they spent most of the movie demonstrating hit like a truck) so probably wasn't in top form and he wasn't actually trying to kill Rey so much as trying to convince her to turn.

Just to keep it going...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/please-stop-spreading-this-nonsense-that-rey-from-star-1749134275

There's another post someone made about why Finn & Rey were able to hold their own against Kylo Ren that I can't get to thank to my work's firewall. But basically it boils down to he got shot by Chewie's bowcaster (which they spent most of the movie demonstrating hit like a truck) so probably wasn't in top form and he wasn't actually trying to kill Rey so much as trying to convince her to turn.

But Rey IS a Mary Sue....

Finally saw it today. I thought it was very good overall, albeit with some flaws that others have already discussed so I won't rehash them.

The one thing that I didn't see anyone else mention, and that I thought was totally over the top and unnecessary, was E.T. Really!? I mean that wasn't even a Lucas creation, that was Spielberg.

I too agree the Death Star plot line is getting old. Three up, three down...move on please to something else.

To be fair, it is a bit reminiscent of the Islamic terrorist obsession with commercial air travel, not not all that far fetched for bad guys to be obsessed with a specific theme.

That said, it is getting a bit old.

No heir-apparent to Han's role whereas all the other characters have a replacement lined up now. Except Chewie, who apparently won't be aging out.

One of the best internet memes I've seen recently is the one of Chewie and Rey in the Millennium Falcon and. Chewie is complaining about after all his years of service, he's stuck pulling gear for a 'street captain'.

Last edited:
I've heard multiple reports that Harrison Ford didn't want to be in the rest of the movies, so can't say I didn't see it coming. My wife on the other hand almost started crying when Han was executed by his own kid....not sure how she missed that truck coming...

I will admit to be completely surprised and in disbelief when Han got run through, but I was not aware of Ford's comments about not wanting to make more movies and I was just expecting him to find a way out like he always does.

One of the best internet memes I've seen recently is the one of Chewie and Rey in the Millennium Falcon and. Jesus is complaining about after all his years of service, he's stuck pulling gear for a 'street captain'.

Hahahah. Yeah. Posted that one to my FB page weeks ago. I forget to cross post most of the funny crap.

Auto-correct is apparently broke on my phone. Changed Chewie into Jesus.

Long haired hippie guy with brown wavy hair... the standard western way to depict him, 'cause you know, all middle eastern Jewish carpenters are white with wavy brown hair and blue eyes. LOL!

Or maybe it was Lucas' original intent for symbolism. Haha. Chewie kinda looks like a Flying Spaghetti Monster too, maybe. ;)

Back