Star Wars Languages and Sub-Titles

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
My wife and I just finished watching The Last Jedi. In that film, everyone can understand BB-8 and R2-D2, but there are no subtitles for the audience. Why is that?

Thats the way its always been in the Star Wars movies. Comic relief, mystery, leaves people room to interpret what they want, etc etc

My wife and I just finished watching The Last Jedi. In that film, everyone can understand BB-8 and R2-D2, but there are no subtitles for the audience. Why is that?
if you’re gonna do sub titles, why have a robot that doesn’t speak English in the first place?

I've heard 2 theories on this
1) It isn't everyone. The force sensitive ones understand what the droids are saying by using the Force. In the new movies main characters, that would be Rey, Finn, and Dameron.
2) in that galaxy, everyone grows up around droids. Since they are programmed with a common language, everyone understands. No, I don't know why they wouldn't program the droids to speak galactic common.

You could ask Disney, but they would have to make something up.

Hmm... Thinking about it a bit, in 'A New Hope', when Luke first gets C3PO and R2-D2, doesn't C3PO translate for R2-D2? But by the end when they're going to attack the Death Star, Luke is able to communicate directly with R2-D2. So did Luke learn the language somehow? Or maybe I'm mis-remembering how it goes.

You're remembering it right. That's the theory behind the "force user" understanding.

You're remembering it right. That's the theory behind the "force user" understanding.

OK.. But Poe can communicate with DB8, so does that mean he is 'force sensitive' as well? Mind. Blown.

Yes, that's why he is such a great pilot. It was confirmed in a couple of canon stories. It remains to be seen if the movies stick with the narrative, but eventually Poe becomes a Jedi or whatever they're calling themselves after Rey achieves balance.

Interesting force lore - the force is represented by the father, the son and the daughter. The son is the dark side, the daughter the light. The elder father is the wise one, the one in balance. The jedi and sith have been the son and daughter fighting each other for centuries. The prophecy to bring balance to the force which pervades the main movies is about someone (Rey we know now) returning to the side of the father.

Yes, I'm a star wars nerd.

Yes, that's why he is such a great pilot. It was confirmed in a couple of canon stories. It remains to be seen if the movies stick with the narrative, but eventually Poe becomes a Jedi or whatever they're calling themselves after Rey achieves balance.

Interesting force lore - the force is represented by the father, the son and the daughter. The son is the dark side, the daughter the light. The elder father is the wise one, the one in balance. The jedi and sith have been the son and daughter fighting each other for centuries. The prophecy to bring balance to the force which pervades the main movies is about someone (Rey we know now) returning to the side of the father.

Yes, I'm a star wars nerd.

Great. Now I have to rewatch everything and see who can speak with droids.

Back