Standby Battery G1000

ardesp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ardesp
Hi all, I have a 2004 T182T with a G1000 and I'm perplexed by an issue when shutting down my plane. I'd appreciate any wisdom.

the standby tests and arms fine at startup, after a flight when I shut down the plane and turn off the master, the PFD goes blank until the standby initializes and turns on the PFD like when you first Arm at startup. The standby is charged and works fine, it's just when you turn the master off it doesn't instantly power the PFD. The PFD goes black but then it powers up like at startup.

Has anyone experienced this? I've been told to swap the MFD and PFD to see if that will work.

Any advise out there?

Thanks in advance.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, just turn off the standby battery before you turn off the master.

No, sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed before any serious IFR is flown! I've been teaching in G1000 a/c for 8 years now, and our shutdown is to turn off the master first, and I've never seen even a blink - the PFD stays on as if nothing happened. That is what you want if it ever happens 'for real' !!
An avionics shop needs to look at that!

I've never seen or heard of that behavior. I'd get it checked.

Yes, if the screen is going black before the standby kicks in, I'd get that checked.

I have exactly the same behavior in my T182T 2006. PFD restarts after shutting down the master switch. However, I fly regularly one C208B whose PDF does not even blink when the master is turned off.

Last edited:
The PFD should not restart after shutting down the master, with the standby engaged. Get it checked out, especially if IFR...

I found this in an AOPA article:
"During a subsequent flight, Ortega turned off the avionics master and main master switches to simulate a massive electrical failure and induce an in-flight restart of the G1000's PFD. We were in about a 20-degree-bank turn at the time, and maintained the turn for the duration of the reboot. The PFD came back on line within the time it took us to turn from downwind to base — about 15 seconds."
Looks like the restart of the PFD after shutting down the master with the standby engaged is normal, at least in the first generations of T182T NAV III...

Back