standard-restricted

Sleepingsquirrel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sleepingsquirrel
I found an aircraft that has a restricted airworthiness certificate onboard but is listed in the FAA database as standard-restricted. Is a log book entry by a mechanic sufficient to return this aircraft to the standard classification? How does one get an airworthiness certificate onboard with standard classification ? Is it necessary? I think it was aerial advertising.:confused:

Last edited:
Basically, the aircraft has to be returned to its original type certificate configuration, and have a new AC issued. That probably means removing all of the advertising light system, and assumes no irreversible structural changes.

Basically, the aircraft has to be returned to its original type certificate configuration, and have a new AC issued. That probably means removing all of the advertising light system, and assumes no irreversible structural changes.

Actually you can have a standard-restricted certificate and if you have the maintenance instructions an A&P can put in either category depending upon the equipment installed.

This is done in helicopters all the time that have equipment for external operations. One day you can operate standard, the next day add the equipment and operate restricted and visa versa.

Actually you can have a standard-restricted certificate and if you have the maintenance instructions an A&P can put in either category depending upon the equipment installed.

This is done in helicopters all the time that have equipment for external operations. One day you can operate standard, the next day add the equipment and operate restricted and visa versa.
If the aerial advertising lighting system is removable like that, yes, that works.

Thanks for the information! I have requested the aircraft documents from the FAA to see if anything else falls out. The airplane is in annual, and appears to be really normal. I suspect there was a tow hook that was mechanically attached to the tiedown point. No signs of any modifications.

Have you asked the owner ?

L1011 with Pegasus rocket attached ---> restricted

Orbital_L1011_Pegasus.jpg

Same plane with the pylons only on a ferry flight --> standard.
This airplane is more like a 150. I doubt the owner knows any more about it than I do.

Attachments

• 6129-th[1].jpg
    6129-th[1].jpg
    9 KB · Views: 12
This airplane is more like a 150. I doubt the owner knows any more about it than I do.

Banner tow planes may have some wires strung to keep the banners out of the horizontal stabilizers and off the tailwheel. When those things are removed, the plane is reverts to standard or utility.

I hate to let a good buy get away just because I don't understand the paperwork. I don't want to get hung up with thousands of dollars for recertification either.
I'm learning .

I hate to let a good buy get away just because I don't understand the paperwork. I don't want to get hung up with thousands of dollars for recertification either.
I'm learning .

A phone call to the owner is in order. If that doesn't work you can call your local FSDO and speak with an Inspector. Give him the registration number and he can go into SPAS and pull up all the aircraft info that is recorded. Within this he can access the PTRS record of the Inspector that issued the restricted certificate and see what the provisions are that go with it.

Have fun.

Depends what the plane was used for, it could be as simple as an IA signature, it could require a 'rebuild' of the airframe like they required with the Stearmans that were used in the Ag sector. One of the things about Restricted is the Gross Weight is set by a log entry by the pilot, If I think it'll come off the ground and work at a higher weight than the manufacturer sets, I enter that and it becomes the new GW. Once that number is written in, you now have to go through the process and IIRC that requires a DAR to sign off.

our pawnee is like that. It's restricted while the booms are on, standard if they are removed

Thanks for all the input! I gained enough knowledge to be able to call the FSDO.
I have been blown away with the helpfulness of the agent ! Knowledgable, efficient, with the information I needed. It was an STC for a sign, and a log book entry is all that is required by A&P. It's Perfectly ok to keep the Restricted airworthiness as it is on the document in the aircraft . The log book entry moves it to the standard, normal classification. I'll review the logs for that entry among others.
Thanks again for the help and information.

Thanks for all the input! I gained enough knowledge to be able to call the FSDO.
I have been blown away with the helpfulness of the agent ! Knowledgable, efficient, with the information I needed. It was an STC for a sign, and a log book entry is all that is required by A&P. It's Perfectly ok to keep the Restricted airworthiness as it is on the document in the aircraft . The log book entry moves it to the standard, normal classification. I'll review the logs for that entry among others.
Thanks again for the help and information.

:thumbsup:

Back