Stand By Pilots....

W.O'Boogie

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
W. O'Boogie
"Helmets could also detract from the surfing experience"

Gee, do you think? After successful campaigns for bicycle helmets, here comes pressure for helmets for pole vaulting, soccer and, yes, maybe even surfboard riding (Hugo Martin, "Today, helmets for all", Los Angeles Times, Jul. 24).

Can aviators be far behind?????

When i was working ground crew a few years back, we lost a fellow ground crew member after he fell and hit his head on the ramp. After that we were all forced to wear helmets. not only did we look stupid, but we were definatly the laughing stock of the airport. I am not saying its a bad thing, but look how many of us didnt die growing up before OSHA and the Govnt got involved in our safety.

W.O'Boogie said:

Gee, do you think? After successful campaigns for bicycle helmets, here comes pressure for helmets for pole vaulting, soccer and, yes, maybe even surfboard riding (Hugo Martin, "Today, helmets for all", Los Angeles Times, Jul. 24).

Only if pilots start suing the manufacturers/government/etc for not telling them that flying can be dangerous...

W.O'Boogie said:

Every year a collection of Pole Vaulters die or are paralyzed in accidents. You are an idiot if you don't wear a helmet and pole vault.

I knew a guy who always carried two mcycle helmets on the back seat. He said he and his wife would don them in the event of an off-airport landing.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I knew a guy who always carried two mcycle helmets on the back seat. He said he and his wife would don them in the event of an off-airport landing.

I had a motorcycle helmet with when I picked Tony and his girlfriend up in Iowa for Gastons. Tony immediately wanted to know who gets the helmet in the event of a crash...If I would have been thinking I should have had the helmet on and bounced the landing a few times.

Let'sgoflying! said:

I carry a cheesehead, just in case. :rofl:

(Kidding... I actually do not own a cheesehead. I'll have to rectify that one of these days.)

I've wished I was wearing a helmet while driving with the top down in the convertible a few times. You realize your head is out there necked if the truck in front of you looses part of the load. Not that having the top up would make much of a difference.

Unquestioned and absoulte quest for "safety" = Boring life not worth living. :no:

From time to time I've considered nomex suits and helmets but hot weather and laziness squelches those ideas every time.

Dave Krall CFII said:
From time to time I've considered nomex suits and helmets but hot weather and laziness squelches those ideas every time.

Just curious Mr. Krall - how many times have you needed one or the other ot both as a civil GA pilot? What's next - ejection capsules ala F111? Why bother flying?

Anthony said:
Unquestioned and absoulte quest for "safety" = Boring life not worth living. :no:

Damn straight.

Cheers,

-Andrew
"Remember kids, last one dead is a sissy" - Aerostich Catalog

W.O'Boogie said:
Just curious Mr. Krall - how many times have you needed one or the other ot both as a civil GA pilot? What's next - ejection capsules ala F111? Why bother flying?

I've never needed or used either, pushing 5000 total landings, but that's not going to matter much if I ever do need them. In rough terms, the degree of total safety acheived is application of all proper skills to an activity with subjective and objective hazards of the activity factored in.

The historically demonstrated odds are high enough against their need and effectiveness that their additional hassle and discomfort of use has won out against their use every time for me -and about 99.999% of all other GA pilots it would appear at a quick glance.

Back