Stalling without control input

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
There was an article a few weeks ago talking about landing with as little control inputs as possible. One of the things that stuck out to me (I just hadn't thought of it before) was that a certified aircraft cannot stall from trim alone without no pilot inputs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I wonder, if true, how much bank is also allowable within that envelope such that the aircraft won't stall while banked but with zero back-pressure and maximum trim.

Then again, if it were that easy, wouldn't we see less stall/spin on base to final as it seems like it would be an easy staple to teach granting safe maneuvring in the pattern for students and high-time pilots alike.

Thoughts?

Interesting question.

I'm not sure that's a solution to stall/spin in the pattern. Interested to see what the experts have to say.

There was an article a few weeks ago talking about landing with as little control inputs as possible. One of the things that stuck out to me (I just hadn't thought of it before) was that a certified aircraft cannot stall from trim alone without no pilot inputs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I wonder, if true, how much bank is also allowable within that envelope such that the aircraft won't stall while banked but with zero back-pressure and maximum trim.

Then again, if it were that easy, wouldn't we see less stall/spin on base to final as it seems like it would be an easy staple to teach granting safe maneuvring in the pattern for students and high-time pilots alike.

Thoughts?

The FAA includes elevator trim stall as a stall demonstration/manuver in the 8083-3.

The FAA includes elevator trim stall as a stall demonstration/manuver in the 8083-3.

So it does. It seemed like an odd thing (in the blog/article) that stuck out as "if that's the case then why isn't everyone doing it."

Your bug smasher might not stall with full up elevator trim and idle power, but it will develop a sink rate that will make your pupils dilate. :rolleyes2:

Thoughts?

Part 23 is available at www.faa.gov...that is where you will find certification standards.

Bob Gardner

Your bug smasher might not stall with full up elevator trim and idle power, but it will develop a sink rate that will make your pupils dilate. :rolleyes2:

And I'd hate to see what it does with full flap and full power.

It may not stall (or maybe it will!), but it's going HARD off to the left with full up elevator trim, with no control inputs. And it may not be climbing….

I don't know about others, but in mine, trim is almost full up to get the normal 60-65kts on final. If you don't add control input to flare and land, then the nose will hit first and at too high a speed.

Back