Stall spin video

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I ran across this on YouTube. What did these guys do wrong to cause this plane to spin so many times and what is the proper thing to do to recover from this quickly?

With my limited understanding, I wasn't aware that a nose down attitude spin was so hard to recover from. Apparently I was wrong.

I think they were doing it on purpose to get back down quickly.

Short answer is it shouldn't take that long to recover and its not hard if you apply correct inputs. They looked like they had no clue what was going on.

I think they were doing it on purpose to get back down quickly.
Could be, but they knew they still had jumpers on board and that would be extremely stupid The one tapped him on the shoulder as to say "What the heck?"

The elevator was full up the whole time. It did not look like they were trying to recover from the spin.

Last edited:
From a skydiver point of view, although I would never do it this way, they may have been getting to a lower altitude for the remaining jumpers to do hop 'n' pops. I have always know hop 'n' ops to be done on the way up, not down. Hop 'n' ops are just quick jumps. You jump out and pull. Not much freefall.

David

From a skydiver point of view, although I would never do it this way, they may have been getting to a lower altitude for the remaining jumpers to do hop 'n' pops. I have always know hop 'n' ops to be done on the way up, not down. Hop 'n' ops are just quick jumps. You jump out and pull. Not much freefall.

David
That's my layman's take on it... the fact that they got the newbie out the door before rolling hard to the right and stalling it is a dead giveaway. :D
I suppose if all jumpers are briefed, and maybe they've rode along before for a demo of a couple turns of a spin, it's no big deal. But at one point you can see one of them struggling to get to the door while the aircraft is rotating... doesn't seem worth the risk of struggling/disoriented jumpers making bad exits.

I'm still trying to figure out why one of the jumpers glided back towards the aircraft at 04:59 ... Was he checking to see if the prop was still spinning?

I'm still trying to figure out why one of the jumpers glided back towards the aircraft at 04:59 ... Was he checking to see if the prop was still spinning?

Looks like they just played the previous scene in reverse for dramatic effect.

Back