Stall Horn OH?

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
anyone knows where to get a stall horn overhauled? the actual mechanical device on the leading edge. mine is acting up and works intermittently (at least that what i have found in preflight and stayed on the ground)

anyone knows where to get a stall horn overhauled? the actual mechanical device on the leading edge. mine is acting up and works intermittently (at least that what i have found in preflight and stayed on the ground)

Good luck.

I Used to work for an Aero Club and would see that often Alcohol spray bottle they get dirt and bugs. Try to save money.

Is a stall horn considered something a owner can fix/replace themselves as long as its an original / STC / PMA?

Seems simple enough that an owner could return it to service themselves?

Is a stall horn considered something a owner can fix/replace themselves as long as its an original / STC / PMA?

Seems simple enough that an owner could return it to service themselves?

I am getting a PMA one, don’t think it’s in the list of stuff pilot/owner can do. But I could be wrong, it’s the usual thing.

It is just a momentary switch. Check connections...might need deoxit.
The microswitch gets dirt in it. The assembly needs to come out and get a soaking in some contact cleaner or brake cleaner, and blown out. The switch isn't sealed, which is why dirt gets in and why we can clean it.

My IA cleaned mine and it worked for a while, but ultimately we had to get a new one. I think it was close to $1000.

Mine only works if a passenger is aboard and yelps real loud when she breaks...

My IA cleaned mine and it worked for a while, but ultimately we had to get a new one. I think it was close to $1000.

680 or so for the part, PMA. The factory one I think is around 2600 or some astronomical number like that

Mine only works if a passenger is aboard and yelps real loud when she breaks...

Another warning is the CFI death scream that goes off when a CFI fears imminent death. I heard that one time when the student (I was in the back seat playing human ballast) tried to demonstrate a departure stall on takeoff.

The Navion has no stall warning horn or buzzer. It has a pronounced (due to strips on the wing I think) pre-stall buffet that gives plenty of warning before the rather benign break.

I had a similar problem with my horn. We think the micro switch that the vane attaches to was sticking. My AI sprayed copious amounts of Tun-O-Wash, by Chemtool, into it while flipping the vane up and down.

That was about 2 years ago, and it’s worked perfectly since.

update: I got the lift detector replaced. 680 in parts and shipping, 1 hr labor from a&P/IA to come to my hangar and do it. takes 20 mins and about 6 screws to do it. no idea why A/C owner operator is not allowed to do it... it is what it is.. sigh

update: I got the lift detector replaced. 680 in parts and shipping, 1 hr labor from a&P/IA to come to my hangar and do it. takes 20 mins and about 6 screws to do it. no idea why A/C owner operator is not allowed to do it... it is what it is.. sigh

You might want to go out and check the actual operation in flight. It doesn't take much to throw the actuation point. The detailed procedure should be in the maintenance manual. Good excuse to go out and practice slow flight. :)

You missed your chance to justify an AoA? :)

The next time something simple like this happens maybe you should ask your mechanic if you can do the following (I bet I get beat up for this):

1.) Install it yourself and insert a log entry (you are 100% transparent and not throwing your mech under the bus in any way)
2.) Have him authorize it the next time he sees the plane.
3.) If your logs get reviewed by the FSDO you are 100% responsible.
4.) The day the IA signs it off the logs are not 100% valid again and you are off the hook.

...okay how many rules did we just break :) It just seems that a stall horn is a simple assembly which the owner could replace. So doing the above seems like a viable way it you weren't sure. Plus this part seems like a light bulb and look how many others have repaired it themselves.

The next time something simple like this happens maybe you should ask your mechanic if you can do the following (I bet I get beat up for this):

1.) Install it yourself and insert a log entry (you are 100% transparent and not throwing your mech under the bus in any way)
2.) Have him authorize it the next time he sees the plane.
3.) If your logs get reviewed by the FSDO you are 100% responsible.
4.) The day the IA signs it off the logs are not 100% valid again and you are off the hook.

...okay how many rules did we just break :) It just seems that a stall horn is a simple assembly which the owner could replace. So doing the above seems like a viable way it you weren't sure. Plus this part seems like a light bulb and look how many others have repaired it themselves.

While I agree with you, it sounds like a slippery slope with FSDO... dunno

Back