Stalking My Wife...

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
On FlightAware, of course. She and my eldest daughter are off to San Diego for a college visit.

She got up at 4:30 this morning to go to work, and the flight they're on won't land until 12:15 our time. They don't have to be anywhere tomorrow morning, I hope she's able to sleep in, but her body clock may not let her.

On FlightAware, of course. She and my eldest daughter are off to San Diego for a college visit.

She got up at 4:30 this morning to go to work, and the flight they're on won't land until 12:15 our time. They don't have to be anywhere tomorrow morning, I hope she's able to sleep in, but her body clock may not let her.

Ah, the college visits. Two main kinds:

1. The do-I-want-to-apply-here college visit, usually begun sometime late in the Junior year of high school.
2. The I’ve-been-accepted-do-I-want-to-go-here college visit, usually done around the time after all the acceptance and rejection decisions have been made.

My wife and son did the first kind a couple of summers ago, and we did the second kind last Spring. If your daughter is doing the second kind, congratulations on her acceptance(s) and good luck to her in making the final decison. If the visit is the first type, good luck to her as she goes through the application process. That can be a nervous, exciting, and busy time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm... my wife stalks me always since we use the "Find my iPhone" app. I stop at a gas station near a burger joint, I get a call from my wife asking why I'm getting a burger. It works great when my wife goes to the store though. Because when she's miles away and busy shopping, I run to the burger joint to get a burger!

Good luck to your wife and daughter on the college visits!

Ah, the college visits. Two main kinds:

1. The do-I-want-to-apply-here college visit, usually begun sometime late in the Junior year of high school.
2. The I’ve-been-accepted-do-I-want-to-go-here college visit, usually done around the time after all the acceptance and rejection decisions have been made.

My wife and son did the first kind a couple of summers ago, and we did the second kind last Spring. If your daughter is doing the second kind, congratulations on her acceptance(s) and good luck to her in making the final decison. If the visit is the first type, good luck to her as she goes through the application process. That can be a nervous, exciting, and busy time.

Thanks, this is the second kind. She did the first kind starting about a year ago. We live in Atlanta, so she visited Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, GCSU, and Penn State. Why Penn State? Wife's family is from Pennsylvania, any wife is a huge Penn State football fan. Daughter liked Auburn and Penn State, but had visited California and she wanted to apply to a school there. We found that San Diego State was probably within reach both academically and financially, so she applied there as well, with Penn State and San Diego State being #1 and #2. Both of those schools application deadline was December 1st. She got her applications submitted Thanksgiving weekend, and got her acceptance to Penn State on December 10 and to SDSU on the 13th. She promptly stopped applying after that. I'm kind of thankful she didn't have her heart set on Georgia like so many of her friends, I know a number of parents whose kids still haven't gotten a response from UGA. Her mom would greatly prefer Penn State, but they're both fine schools and it's ultimately up to her to choose. I just told her I wouldn't accept a choice until a week after she gets back from California. Unless there's something she finds particularly offputting about SDSU, I think that's where she'll go. It is a five hour flight from here, but it also takes five hours to get to State College by airliner, including a stop in Detroit. It'll be easier to get her to and from San Diego, no changing planes in a location that gets hit seriously with all of winter's fury.

Hmmm... my wife stalks me always since we use the "Find my iPhone" app. I stop at a gas station near a burger joint, I get a call from my wife asking why I'm getting a burger. It works great when my wife goes to the store though. Because when she's miles away and busy shopping, I run to the burger joint to get a burger!
Good luck to your wife and daughter on the college visits!

Thanks. My wife and I, and both daughters have Life 360, so we all know where we all are and have been. My wife tracks my daughters pretty closely, maybe she does the same to me. I did get a text asking me why I had stopped at a restaurant I don't like once. I hadn't, I was buying gas at a station across the street.

Right now, they're just about to cross into Arizona. I hope my wife has been able to get some sleep, at this point she's been up for 18 hours and they still have an hour and a half before landing.

Thanks, this is the second kind. She did the first kind starting about a year ago. We live in Atlanta, so she visited Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, GCSU, and Penn State. Why Penn State? Wife's family is from Pennsylvania, any wife is a huge Penn State football fan. Daughter liked Auburn and Penn State, but had visited California and she wanted to apply to a school there. We found that San Diego State was probably within reach both academically and financially, so she applied there as well, with Penn State and San Diego State being #1 and #2. Both of those schools application deadline was December 1st. She got her applications submitted Thanksgiving weekend, and got her acceptance to Penn State on December 10 and to SDSU on the 13th. She promptly stopped applying after that. I'm kind of thankful she didn't have her heart set on Georgia like so many of her friends, I know a number of parents whose kids still haven't gotten a response from UGA. Her mom would greatly prefer Penn State, but they're both fine schools and it's ultimately up to her to choose. I just told her I wouldn't accept a choice until a week after she gets back from California. Unless there's something she finds particularly offputting about SDSU, I think that's where she'll go. It is a five hour flight from here, but it also takes five hours to get to State College by airliner, including a stop in Detroit. It'll be easier to get her to and from San Diego, no changing planes in a location that gets hit seriously with all of winter's fury.

I’m sure that whatever school she ends up choosing will work well. Both San Diego State and Penn State look pretty good in the US News rankings. Penn State is where the former NFL player John Urschel played football at the same time as earning his Masters degree in Mathematics while maintaining a 4.0 in his undergrad and grad work. Pretty impressive. The guy is working on his PhD at MIT now.

I can relate to your daughter’s story of wanting to be quite a distance from home. Some kids really want to spread their wings and fly far from the nest. Although originally from Tennessee, I’ve been in California since 1989, and my son was born here. He applied to a grand total of zero California schools. The nearest to us of the schools to which he applied was the University of Denver. All of the rest were in New England. He eventually settled on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute near Albany, NY. Thank goodness for Southwest which has pretty good 1-stop flights from San Jose to Albany.

He will start there this Fall. We’re pretty sure there won’t be any issues with him being that far away because we let him do a gap year after high school to play Junior Hockey in New Hampshire. He was there from August to now. He just moved home this week because the season is over. RPI let him defer his start date from last Fall to this Fall. We never saw any signs of homesickness at all. He lived in an apartment with 3 other boys, became something of a gourmet cook, met a couple of girls, earned a LOT of money as a hockey referee, and even got his Chemistry out of the way at the local community college. After that experience, college life in a dorm should be a piece of cake, and we already know that he loves New England and the winter weather, so the Albany weather will be old hat to him.

Good luck with your daughter’s choice. We found that there wasn’t really a struggle with making the choice. The right school and the “fit” just became apparent after the visits. RPI was the second to the last school my son visited with RIT being the last. As we were leaving RPI, my son said that RIT would have to hit a home run with him to displace RPI. Needless to say, that didn’t happen, although both schools are very good. RPI just worked for him.

Any girl is going to SDSU is going to have seriously stiff competition. I recall taking my bike down that way to look over another motorcycle. I almost ran into a post.

I have nothing but good things to say about Penn State, other than their football team has a nasty habit of beating ours at the most inconvenient of times. I would actually recommend it quite highly, mostly because the trip from Atlanta to Hershey is way easier than the trip to San Diego.

Any girl is going to SDSU is going to have seriously stiff competition. I recall taking my bike down that way to look over another motorcycle. I almost ran into a post.

I have nothing but good things to say about Penn State, other than their football team has a nasty habit of beating ours at the most inconvenient of times. I would actually recommend it quite highly, mostly because the trip from Atlanta to Hershey is way easier than the trip to San Diego.

The gender distribution does factor into things a bit, but SDSU isn’t all that skewed. The US News College tool ( https://premium.usnews.com/best-colleges) reports:

SDSU: 54.3% female
Penn State: 46% female

So, Penn State has a slight advantage there. It’s also ranked a higher at 52 vs 140 Nationally in the US news rankings, but I don’t know, really, how important that is. It really depends on how much the student puts into the effort of extracting as much as possible from the overall experience.

Pity my son. RPI is 68.5% male. More than 2 males per female...

Pity my son. RPI is 68.5% male. More than 2 males per female

He will soon learn the way to the Emma Willard school in Troy. All female high school, and the upper class ladies are very interested in RPI men!

He will soon learn the way to the Emma Willard school in Troy. All female high school, and the upper class ladies are very interested in RPI men!

Oh my goodness. I don’t think I’ll be passing that info along just yet to him. I’m kinda liking the idea of him keeping a nice, safe, long distance relationship with the New Hampshire girl. He’ll be almost 20 when he starts there this Fall. 20 year old male + under age high school female = not good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m sure that whatever school she ends up choosing will work well. Both San Diego State and Penn State look pretty good in the US News rankings. Penn State is where the former NFL player John Urschel played football at the same time as earning his Masters degree in Mathematics while maintaining a 4.0 in his undergrad and grad work. Pretty impressive. The guy is working on his PhD at MIT now.

I can relate to your daughter’s story of wanting to be quite a distance from home. Some kids really want to spread their wings and fly far from the nest. Although originally from Tennessee, I’ve been in California since 1989, and my son was born here. He applied to a grand total of zero California schools. The nearest to us of the schools to which he applied was the University of Denver. All of the rest were in New England. He eventually settled on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute near Albany, NY. Thank goodness for Southwest which has pretty good 1-stop flights from San Jose to Albany.

He will start there this Fall. We’re pretty sure there won’t be any issues with him being that far away because we let him do a gap year after high school to play Junior Hockey in New Hampshire. He was there from August to now. He just moved home this week because the season is over. RPI let him defer his start date from last Fall to this Fall. We never saw any signs of homesickness at all. He lived in an apartment with 3 other boys, became something of a gourmet cook, met a couple of girls, earned a LOT of money as a hockey referee, and even got his Chemistry out of the way at the local community college. After that experience, college life in a dorm should be a piece of cake, and we already know that he loves New England and the winter weather, so the Albany weather will be old hat to him.

Good luck with your daughter’s choice. We found that there wasn’t really a struggle with making the choice. The right school and the “fit” just became apparent after the visits. RPI was the second to the last school my son visited with RIT being the last. As we were leaving RPI, my son said that RIT would have to hit a home run with him to displace RPI. Needless to say, that didn’t happen, although both schools are very good. RPI just worked for him.

He sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders, you must be very proud. I like the idea of a gap year, especially for boys, it introduces them to the real world and makes them appreciate the opportunity they're getting. My two have to go straight to college, I'm 60, my wife is 55, so they have to get things going. When my youngest is 22 I'll be 66.

She can hold her own in that realm, although I don't know that she's all that interested yet. She's much more interested in finding a place in the world than getting in a relationship.

Her mom would prefer Penn State as well. I have mixed feelings, for what she is going to study, Penn State has a very large school, which is both good and bad. SDSU seems to be making a better pitch to her, they have a program to retain out of state students, and a residential community for her field of study. There's also a class in surfing, which I'm pretty sure Penn State doesn't offer. On the travel side, flights from ATL to SCE (State College) take about as long as those from ATL to SAN, because the ones to Pennsylvania stop in either Detroit or Philadelphia. Delta has four nonstops from ATL to SAN, Delta and American each have two one stoppers from ATL to SCE, but the times aren't very convenient, they're either really early or kind of late. On the other hand, if she wants her car (not this year) it's a long day to State College and three long days to San Diego.

Last edited:
Cheaper to ship a car than drive it...much cheaper...

Her mom would prefer Penn State as well. I have mixed feelings, for what she is going to study, Penn State has a very large school, which is both good and bad. SDSU seems to be making a better pitch to her, they have a program to retain out of state students, and a residential community for her field of study. There's also a class in surfing, which I'm pretty sure Penn State doesn't offer. On the travel side, flights from ATL to SCE (State College)_take about as long as those from ATL to SAN, because the ones to Pennsylvania stop in either Detroit or Philadelphia. Delta has four nonstops from ATL to SAN, Delta and American each have two from ATL to SCE, but the times aren't very convenient, they're either really early or kind of late. On the other hand, if she wants her car (not this year) it's a long day to State College and three long days to San Diego.

Forgive me, I thought I was addressing a pilot (this is an aviation forum, after all). True, travel time for you and the Mrs. is about the same on airliners. If your daughter really wants to learn to surf she can schedule a vacation to SoCal and do it, it isn't that hard. Penn State is by far the better school. And both are actually quite big.

You should also consider the financial implications. Yes, tuition may be similar between the two schools. But I think you'll find expenses in Southern California dwarf those in Hershey.

The thing about a big school is a good student can treat it like a small school. I've never refused a student help or time, and most of my colleagues feel similarly. And we know our good students.

But if your kid would rather go to where the sun is, I can't entirely blame her. She certainly wouldn't be the first. But what I recall from my San Diego days is the bright ones go to the University of California.

He sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders, you must be very proud. I like the idea of a gap year, especially for boys, it introduces them to the real world and makes them appreciate the opportunity they're getting.
Yes, extremely proud of him. And yes, we are very happy he got this opportunity for a gap year. I think it provided a better focus to him, and it convinced him that, although hockey is fun, that won’t be his path to a successful long term career. He’ll play club hockey at RPI, but has wisely made the decision that pursuing NCAA hockey isn’t really a good bet. That’s good; he will be able to focus much better on academics.

She can hold her own in that realm, although I don't know that she's all that interested yet. She's much more interested in finding a place in the world than getting in a relationship.

Her mom would prefer Penn State as well. I have mixed feelings, for what she is going to study, Penn State has a very large school, which is both good and bad. SDSU seems to be making a better pitch to her, they have a program to retain out of state students, and a residential community for her field of study. There's also a class in surfing, which I'm pretty sure Penn State doesn't offer. On the travel side, flights from ATL to SCE (State College) take about as long as those from ATL to SAN, because the ones to Pennsylvania stop in either Detroit or Philadelphia. Delta has four nonstops from ATL to SAN, Delta and American each have two one stoppers from ATL to SCE, but the times aren't very convenient, they're either really early or kind of late. On the other hand, if she wants her car (not this year) it's a long day to State College and three long days to San Diego.

It is true, however, that a lot of people tend to find their mates in college. What is your daughter planning to study? It does seem than Penn State is more highly ranked than San Diego State, but a lot depends on the specific major.

Both schools are what I would consider very large. Penn State has 40,000 degree seeking students, SDSU has 27,000. Once you get into the 10’s of thousands of students, I think it’s a wash. Both schools will have that big school feel and similar advantages and disadvantages of the big-school. I’d look at things like how many of the undergraduate classes are taught by professors vs how many are taught by graduate students, and what is the reputation of the school in the particular field of study.

Have you considered flying yourself to Penn State? That’s doable from Atlanta in a day; harder to do to San Diego. Looks like about 500ish miles to Penn State, 1600 to San Diego. The reality, also, is that there won’t be a lot of flights back and forth. We certainly won’t expect to see our son except for semester end points.

For the car, consider shipping it. It will probably be cheaper once you factor in hotel costs, wear and tear, etc.

Last edited:
You should also consider the financial implications. Yes, tuition may be similar between the two schools. But I think you'll find expenses in Southern California dwarf those in Hershey.

The thing about a big school is a good student can treat it like a small school. I've never refused a student help or time, and most of my colleagues feel similarly. And we know our good students.

But if your kid would rather go to where the sun is, I can't entirely blame her. She certainly wouldn't be the first. But what I recall from my San Diego days is the bright ones go to the University of California.

It does look like sticker price for SDSU is about $10K less than Penn State. Pretty sure that won’t be made up by the cost of living differences for a student living on campus. A lot depends on the financial aid packages, of course.

You are certainly right about the big school environment. I went to a large state school, and I appreciated the variety of people and classes available to me. However, for the classes in my particular major, it felt like a small school with everyone knowing each other and good interactions with the professors, particularly in the upper years. A good mix. Big school for the variety, small school feel in my field.

Regarding the surfing... We have great white sharks here in CA. Seems to be at least one attack per year on a surfer. Not for me, thanks...

Forgive me, I thought I was addressing a pilot (this is an aviation forum, after all). True, travel time for you and the Mrs. is about the same on airliners. If your daughter really wants to learn to surf she can schedule a vacation to SoCal and do it, it isn't that hard. Penn State is by far the better school. And both are actually quite big.

It's about 500 nm from here to State College, probably a little less than five hours by Skyhawk, including climb and approach. That's cutting it tight on fuel, better plan on a stop, so make it six hours. That means I'd need a day each way, once in August, twice in November, once in December, once in January, twice in March, and once in May. I'm not currently flying power planes, but even when I was, I was VFR only, and the dispatch reliability of a VFR pilot going from from Georgia to the mid Atlantic during winter and spring is iffy at best. I'd have to cancel a number of those trips at the last minute and pay last minute prices to Delta or American. Besides, 12 hours @$130 per hour plus tax does not compare favorably with the $250 - $300 each way that the human mailing tube asks. She'll be going commercial.

The elite schools in the California public system are UC Berkley and UCLA. There are some others in the UC system that are also quite strong, and some that are less selective than their equivalents in the Cal State system. My daughter is not an elite student. She scored at the 83rd percentile in her standardized tests and will wind up with about a 3.6 GPA. Incidentally, that academic record would make her a marginal candidate for the University of Georgia. She's very asymmetrical in her test scores, very strong on the verbal side of things and only a little above average in science and math.

Yes, extremely proud of him. And yes, we are very happy he got this opportunity for a gap year. I think it provided a better focus to him, and it convinced him that, although hockey is fun, that won’t be his path to a successful long term career. He’ll play club hockey at RPI, but has wisely made the decision that pursuing NCAA hockey isn’t really a good bet. That’s good; he will be able to focus much better on academics.

It is true, however, that a lot of people tend to find their mates in college. What is your daughter planning to study? It does seem than Penn State is more highly ranked than San Diego State, but a lot depends on the specific major.

Both schools are what I would consider very large. Penn State has 40,000 degree seeking students, SDSU has 27,000. Once you get into the 10’s of thousands of students, I think it’s a wash. Both schools will have that big school feel and similar advantages and disadvantages of the big-school. I’d look at things like how many of the undergraduate classes are taught by professors vs how many are taught by graduate students, and what is the reputation of the school in the particular field of study.

Have you considered flying yourself to Penn State? That’s doable from Atlanta in a day; harder to do to San Diego. Looks like about 500ish miles to Penn State, 1600 to San Diego. The reality, also, is that there won’t be a lot of flights back and forth. We certainly won’t expect to see our son except for semester end points.

For the car, consider shipping it. It will probably be cheaper once you factor in hotel costs, wear and tear, etc.

She's planning on studying journalism and mass communications. Penn State's school of communications is the largest in the nation, SDSU's is much smaller. They are both large schools, but SDSU's journalism program is much smaller than is PSU's. I went to what I would consider a medium sized university (Vanderbilt),at the time we had somewhere around 5,000 undergraduates, and a surprisingly large number of graduate and professional students. That didn't feel small to me, but then the high school I went to only had 180 students.

I will certainly look into shipping the car should she choose SDSU, when the time comes.

It does look like sticker price for SDSU is about $10K less than Penn State. Pretty sure that won’t be made up by the cost of living differences for a student living on campus. A lot depends on the financial aid packages, of course.

You are certainly right about the big school environment. I went to a large state school, and I appreciated the variety of people and classes available to me. However, for the classes in my particular major, it felt like a small school with everyone knowing each other and good interactions with the professors, particularly in the upper years. A good mix. Big school for the variety, small school feel in my field.

Regarding the surfing... We have great white sharks here in CA. Seems to be at least one attack per year on a surfer. Not for me, thanks...

She was going to apply to four schools: Penn State, San Diego State, Auburn, and Indiana. Out of all of them, SDSU was the least expensive. With my wife and I both working, we're not eligible for any need based aid, and she's not strong enough of a student to get much in the way of merit based aid at the schools she'd like to attend. Between having the both of us pulling down professional salaries and only having two payments left on our mortgage, we can pull this off. We have some money saved up for each daughter as well, have been putting $2000 per year into a Coverdell IRA, and between all of that we'll get her through without any student debt.

Now if I can only convince daughter #2 to stay in state...

Back