St Louis riverfront

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by Jim K, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Jim K

Jim K Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Took my wife on a lunch date to see the arch & then grab lunch at the High Flyers Grille at ALN. My first time dealing with bravo airspace, but it was no big deal; moving map GPS certainly makes things easier. Highly recommend the restaurant at St Louis Regional. Food was excellent, portions way too big, and prices reasonable. I love being able to taxi right up to the door. As usual, we didn't take enough pictures. IMG_20191204_103801547.jpg IMG_20191204_104512844.jpg IMG_20191204_104442528.jpg

Ryanb, Arnold and Weekend Warrior like this.
  2. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mr Madman
    Nice. I've been wanting to go there for awhile. I'm gonna have to make an effort.

3. timwinters

timwinters Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    I didn't know the restaurant at KCPS was open again!!! Nice to hear. It had closed a while back. Oops...read too fast...I see you ate at ALN, not CPS. Yeah, that's a pretty good restaurant also.

I've done the actual "Riverfront Tour" numerous times. It's great to do with someone new. Fly up/down the river at about 500'AWL. It's almost all KCPS airspace so you stay in contact with them and not STL appr.

Nice shots!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. keen9

keen9 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    keen9
    Nice. Love the Blue & Orange paint job. Go Illini!

Tim, he went to ALN not CPS. There is still no restaurant at CPS.

5. Jim K

Jim K Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    I used flight following from home, so I was talking with st Louis approach, they cleared me through CPS airspace. She didn't seem to care what I did so long as I stayed clear of the bravo. They were easy to deal with.

The archer was part of the u of I flight school. When they gave it to the community college, a couple of the planes were sold to fund avionics upgrades in the planes they kept, and our club bought one. Only downside is I often get mistaken locally for a student, although it did get me a fuel discount once lol. While we were eating, a couple other pilots taxied up, and one of them took a picture with our plane. Turns out he was a u of I alumni and liked the paint job too.

I'm always amazed how things that are so impressive from the ground, like the arch & the river, look kind of insignificant from the air. Seeing the refineries and steel mills is almost more interesting.

keen9 likes this.
  6. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Damn Bravos. It used to be easier to do cool stuff like this https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_bca094d8-1ebd-55c0-9128-91ca6f1cb392.html

Jim K likes this.