St Louis (KSTL)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Time to cheese off some controllers. Another piston plane in the jet space only! Weather permitting, I will be doing a Lifeline flight on March 2 from Saginaw -> St Louis. Looks like they are sending me right into the B-drome instead of a reliever.

Tips?

Time to cheese off some controllers. Another piston plane in the jet space only! Weather permitting, I will be doing a Lifeline flight on March 2 from Saginaw -> St Louis. Looks like they are sending me right into the B-drome instead of a reliever.

Tips?
If I had my choice I would do Spirt (SUS) for a towered airport and St. Charles for a non-towered. I have been into Lambert in a 150, but it was late at night.( after 11:00PM) Most of the time they are pretty good to the GA pilots, not like the Chicago controllers.

Ed, I have flown in there a few times on business and had no trouble at all. It's not a busy airport like Chicago or NY.

Signature gave me great service (even rolled out a red carpet outside the plane (I kid you not!).

Thanks guys. I can tell you I won't be putting fuel in there.
$5.61 a gallon!! Meanwhile, just to the east $3.20/gallon.

Ed,
If you are coming back empty, stop in Ames for our Soaring Seminar and Banquet on the 3rd. There's a thread in Cool Places to Fly about all the fun we will be having.

Barry, I've stopped there each Gastons' trip both ways to pick up pax. The fuel is PRICEY to waive the ramp fee. But STL App. is entirely dedicated to getting traffic into and out of Lambert, and it works well.

STL is MUCH friendlier to small GA than Chi-town. I've been into SUS several times for different reason and CPS once with the flying club from school.
Each time, they were easy about vectoring me to keep me out of their way, but weren't sending me around the world to get where I wanted to go. Haven't been to STL, but the area overall seems to be pretty GA friendly. Every time I was there, I was VFR, so I would assume it would be even easier to get into the mix IFR.

Tips?

Can't imagine why they'd put you in there instead of Parks...

Can't imagine why they'd put you in there instead of Parks...

Maybe because most of the medical stuff is either down I-170 from Lambert or I-270 and Hwy 40 on the west side.....????

Of course SUS would be good in either case.

Maybe because most of the medical stuff is either down I-170 from Lambert or I-270 and Hwy 40 on the west side.....????

Of course SUS would be good in either case.

The Best though would be Barnes Jewish/ Wash U on Kingshighway and that's a lot easier to get to from Parks, plus you can shoot final through the Arch...

The Best though would be Barnes Jewish/ Wash U on Kingshighway and that's a lot easier to get to from Parks, plus you can shoot final through the Arch...
Are you referring to CPS? I've been in there twice. Great little airport but a dang pain to get out of the area and across the river.

I wish they still had that little airport down on the southside. I can't recall the name of it now. My friend told me they took it down some five or six years ago and put up a Marriot on the site.

Are you referring to CPS? I've been in there twice. Great little airport but a dang pain to get out of the area and across the river.

I wish they still had that little airport down on the southside. I can't recall the name of it now. My friend told me they took it down some five or six years ago and put up a Marriot on the site.

You talking about Weiss across the highway from the Chrysler plant? That was a great field, but when they changed the tax structure of the land, it was no longer viable as an airport.

As long as you are down there make sure you stop in and say 'Hi' to Troy at his huge, new facility down there.
"MARTIN AVIATION GROUP'S ELEVEN BUILDING - OVER TWO MILLION SQUARE FEET, UNDER ROOF, OFFICE/SPECIALITY BUILDINGS/FLIGHT CENTER EXECUTIVE CAMPUS"
http://martinaviationgroup.com/

And just maybe you can pick up your Clifton Wilson labeled MAG flight suit for the flight home. ;)

Holy crap! Is that website just getting bigger and bigger? I hadn't seen it in a while. What's the "latest" on the wonder boy?

HR
I loaded it a while back. All the garbage he has on there makes it slow as slime. Talk about overkill! All the theatrics goes further to make me think he has nothing of value to offer. Just more BS from a bozo who got his fifteen minutes of fame from being face down on a tarmac in handcuffs... and still not even a private pilot's license! He didn't even come up on a search for a valid student certificate which should still be good. That one makes me wonder.

As long as you are down there make sure you stop in and say 'Hi' to Troy at his huge, new facility down there.
"MARTIN AVIATION GROUP'S ELEVEN BUILDING - OVER TWO MILLION SQUARE FEET, UNDER ROOF, OFFICE/SPECIALITY BUILDINGS/FLIGHT CENTER EXECUTIVE CAMPUS"
http://martinaviationgroup.com/

And just maybe you can pick up your Clifton Wilson labeled MAG flight suit for the flight home. ;)

Oh good god, does this actually exist anywhere besides the internet?

Oh good god, does this actually exist anywhere besides the internet?
Now that I think about it, he does have some kind of partnership with investors at CPS. I'm looking for the conveyor idea for storing aircraft to show up somewhere. It'll be just like the Jetsons!

My KSTL experience was great.

Getting in was no problem I filled 10C--SPI--KSTL. I was given an amendment by Chi-Center for RBS-VLA6--KSTL. After about 10minutes they then cleared me direct to KSTL which took me right over SPI, go figure, ATC computer logic.

Getting close to KSTL I did get vecotored around a bit and flew the ILS12L right behind a 737 and in front of a 757.

On the ground eaasy taxi to the cheaper of the two FBOs, Signature. They treated me well and put me in a hangar to avoid the snow and ice storm that was coming that night.

Leaving was easy once I paid my bill. Onlky strange thing was that KSTL tower wanted my transponder on for taxi. Very easy departure without a lot of delay.

Nice airport and it was a whole 5 minutes from my hotel.

We're based at ALN across the river. Occasionally do a touch and go on STL's billion dollar runway with our Cherokee. It's a friendly and not too busy place these days.

My KSTL experience was great.

Getting in was no problem I filled 10C--SPI--KSTL. I was given an amendment by Chi-Center for RBS-VLA6--KSTL. After about 10minutes they then cleared me direct to KSTL which took me right over SPI, go figure, ATC computer logic.

Getting close to KSTL I did get vecotored around a bit and flew the ILS12L right behind a 737 and in front of a 757.

On the ground eaasy taxi to the cheaper of the two FBOs, Signature. They treated me well and put me in a hangar to avoid the snow and ice storm that was coming that night.

Leaving was easy once I paid my bill. Onlky strange thing was that KSTL tower wanted my transponder on for taxi. Very easy departure without a lot of delay.

Nice airport and it was a whole 5 minutes from my hotel.

:confused::confused:

I never thought I'd see the words "cheap(er)" and "Signature" used in the same sentence.

:confused::confused:

I never thought I'd see the words "cheap(er)" and "Signature" used in the same sentence.
Yeah me neither. I called the first non-Signature FBO on the field and got their prices but they had no hangar nor tie down for transients. So I called Signature and they were willing to reduce the landing fee and had hangar space. The hangar space at Signature was $10 more per night than the other FBO's ramp storage fee. Plus fuel was discounted at Signature.

We're based at ALN across the river. Occasionally do a touch and go on STL's billion dollar runway with our Cherokee. It's a friendly and not too busy place these days.

I'm going to be flying to St. Louis next month and was thinking about cahokia (I'm VFR only and flying a cherokee too). Given that I'll be coming in on a saturday morning, do you think KSTL would be a fair shot, or should I just plan on Cahokia and figuring out how ot get from there downtown?

Back