St Louis area flooding. Creve Coeur in danger?

painless

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Orear
Currently headed to the St Louis area (by car ) to visit daughter, son in law and two grandsons, and see that the area is under the gun with flooding. Family is high and dry, but I wonder about Creve Coeur. Anyone heard anything? I'd be bugging out if I were based there

Here you go;

CREVE COEUR AIRPORT FLOOD WATCH UPDATE
12/30/15 6:05 pm
OUR LATEST CALCULATIONS ARE BASED ON OBSERVED WATER LEVEL RISE IN THE LAST 24 HOURS. With the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s revised forecast, we expect to see some water in most airport hangars and on most aircraft movement areas by the afternoon of 1/1/16 (this Friday) this means that most taxiways will have water on them making it difficult to impossible to taxi an aircraft. With the crest scheduled... for 6am on the 31st no drop to our water level can be expected for a prolonged period of time. Once the gates are opened it could be several days before the lake drops to a level to halt the incoming water. Even after the water stops rising it could be weeks before it recedes to a point we have dry taxiways. Any aircraft movement will be by towing to dry ground.

Here you go;

CREVE COEUR AIRPORT FLOOD WATCH UPDATE
12/30/15 6:05 pm
OUR LATEST CALCULATIONS ARE BASED ON OBSERVED WATER LEVEL RISE IN THE LAST 24 HOURS. With the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s revised forecast, we expect to see some water in most airport hangars and on most aircraft movement areas by the afternoon of 1/1/16 (this Friday) this means that most taxiways will have water on them making it difficult to impossible to taxi an aircraft. With the crest scheduled... for 6am on the 31st no drop to our water level can be expected for a prolonged period of time. Once the gates are opened it could be several days before the lake drops to a level to halt the incoming water. Even after the water stops rising it could be weeks before it recedes to a point we have dry taxiways. Any aircraft movement will be by towing to dry ground.

Well, that sucks..... Hope nothing gets seriously damaged..

Time to jack up the aircraft,if they didn't move by now there stuck,wishing them all good luck during the flooding.

Time to jack up the aircraft,if they didn't move by now there stuck,wishing them all good luck during the flooding.

It said the airport didn't expect water on the field until Friday... the hard part may be getting TO the airport though, I guess... is that what you meant?

From what I know of the area, getting to the airport shouldn't be a problem if the runway's not under water.

The whole Chesterfield Valley is dumb development though. Industrialize a vey low floodplain and build big levees to protect it.

From what I know of the area, getting to the airport shouldn't be a problem if the runway's not under water.

The whole Chesterfield Valley is dumb development though. Industrialize a vey low floodplain and build big levees to protect it.

They learned that dog and pony show from New Orleans...:redface::rolleyes:

They learned it first hand when the levees broke in 1993. KSUS (Spirit) was flooded.

For the people around here too young to remember, 1993 was unbelievable. A lot of aircraft (and everything else) destroyed. Many FBOs still have small lines painted and wording to indicate how high the water reached on the offices and hangars. A lot of planes lost around here not just because they couldn't take off, but also because people couldn't find anywhere to take them with the fuel available.

This is what I found on the Creve Coeur Airport website:

Breaking News: This is an urgent message from the Creve Coeur Airport Improvement Corporation to all tenants and hangar owners: Due to the recent amount of rainfall in the area, there is a possibility of water getting onto the Creve Coeur Airport property. Anyone with items of value which could be affected by the increasing incursion of water onto their premises should be aware of this situation and take appropriate action. We will try to keep you advised through this website and the airport's Facebook page. Also you can call the airport office for updates. The airport is consulting with the Howard Bend Levee District and the surrounding property owners in an effort to gauge the threat from Creve Coeur Lake. This is not an issue with the Howard Bend Levee itself or the Creve Coeur Creek levee. We are gathering information as it comes in to us and we will do our best to keep everyone informed.

So apparently it's Creve Coeur Lake that is the culprit this time.

I just keep thinking of all the gorgeous classic airplanes in the museum there. Sure hope they get to high ground.

They learned it first hand when the levees broke in 1993. KSUS (Spirit) was flooded.
So was Creve Coeur. It was before my time there but my hangar had a high water mark at the 3 ft level. Of course great chunks of St. Louis and the surrounding area were underwater at the time too.

Nauga,
who loved his time at 1H0

So was Creve Coeur. It was before my time there but my hangar had a high water mark at the 3 ft level. Of course great chunks of St. Louis and the surrounding area were underwater at the time too.

Nauga,
Pretty sure Weiss was too, but Weiss never recovered.

I flew out of Weiss for a short time, and Spirit for a longer time, in the 1980s. When I went back for a visit, the company I worked for at Spirit showed me how high the water had come on their walls. It was over my head.

Originally Posted by nauga

Nauga,

I flew out of Weiss for a short time, and Spirit for a longer time, in the 1980s. When I went back for a visit, the company I worked for at Spirit showed me how high the water had come on their walls. It was over my head.

Isn't that the 3 foot level???:D:D:D

It was my understanding, possibly flawed, that the flood at Weiss was the final nail in a coffin that had been under construction for a while. Equally suspect is my understanding that Arrowhead was also a victim of the great flood. I spent some time in the city during the flood and it was striking to see the damage when flying in and out. Hope it never gets that bad again.

Nauga,
who saw two lines of animals walking down the Earth City Expressway.

And there's way more development in the Chesterfield Valley today than there was in '93 even.

We (humans) are idiots.

And there's way more development in the Chesterfield Valley today than there was in '93 even.

We (humans) are idiots.

A couple coworkers were talking about the levees in Chesterfield the other day. I told them the people that built all that deserve it if those levees break and floods the valley again. The amount of development down there is insane.

They just opened two outlet malls at opposite ends of the valley, they have a huge strip mall/shopping center with every major retailer known to man just about. There's also a Bentley/Lamborgini/Ferrari dealership down there too. I'm thinking if the levee broke, you might be able to find some good deals on some really nice cars. :)

We (humans) are idiots.
When I worked at Spirit (more like '83) it was out in the country...

Back