St George, Utah

kgruber

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skywag
Where should I land and tie down the mighty Cherokee in St George?

q1GqLY.jpg

There's really only the one FBO there at KSGU, Above View, nice facility, call them to set up rental cars. East side of the field. I believe the hangars, etc. on the west side, shown on airport diagram, are only for resident aircraft, no services over there.
Don't try the old airport, ababdoned, further west. I think there's a youtube vid of someone doing that a couple years ago!!
Where are you going while there? You could check out the (much) smaller Stout Field at Hurricane, 1L8, if your goal is Zion. I think they even have rental cars there, but I've never landed there.

Last edited:
Yes, the new KSGU is very nice, though much further from town than the old (now closed) airport on the mesa. It's a $35 cab ride each way to downtown St. George. Above View has a beautiful facility and the people are very helpful, but if the fuel truck driver is away servicing the airliners at the terminal it might take him a while to get to you.

The 'SGU' identifier was shifted from the old airport to the new one, so if your GPS has an old database it could steer you to the old airport.

I landed at Stout Field (1L8) in Hurricane a couple of years ago for a visit to Zion NP. It's considerably closer to the park than is SGU, but as Jim said, not as many services; though it worked fine for my purposes. There's self-serve fuel and a small pilots lounge. There's a used-car dealer in town, "Small Town Auto Sales", two miles from the airport and right across the street from the Wingate Hotel where we stayed. They'll rent you a car (we had a four-year-old Corolla), and for an extra $20 charge, pick you up and drop you off at the airport.

By the way, the name of the town/airport is not pronounced "Hurry-cane" ... it's more like "Herkin". :confused:

When are you coming? Maybe we can meet up. BTW, love the pic of Tieton!

Last edited:
such nice folks at sgu, was there this fall.
I think I posted details on POA.
There is a private collection of WWII and other more modern stuff and they were out tearing up the pattern when I was coming and going. Would have loved to investigated that.

Back