St George, Utah weather end of this month

JSTootell

Filing Flight Plan
Joined
Aug 27, 2024
Messages
29
Location
Riverside, CA
Display Name
JSTootell
Home Airfield
KRIR
I'm in SoCal, and I'm used to flying in basically perfect conditions. I'm thinking about flying up to St. George at the end of the month, if the stars align. Since I'm only used to flying in perfect, dry conditions (no IR), is there something I should know that I probably don't know?

There's that whole thing of you don't know what you don't know, and I'm just wondering. Long range forecast shows nothing I would be worried about flying in, but maybe I don't know? Lots of really cold stuff (to me) in the next couple of weeks.

I flew up to the area in my C150 a few months ago. Mostly just a weather conditions question.
 
Just watch the wind, spring is coming with higher winds. Should be a tailwind most of the way to St George, headwind going home may require a fuel stop at Apple Valley before heading down into the SoCal Valley. Marine layer in the valley would be a bigger issue.

Can you stay high enough to clear the Las Vegas Class B? The FAA controllers on the south side of the LAS Class B will try to keep you out of the airspace. Clear the Spring Mountains west of Las Vegas near Mt Potosi, go up the west side towards Red Rock and contact the northern Class B controllers. Those are the military controllers out of Nellis AFB and they can help you navigate the northern Class B airspace and clear the military MOA. If there is a "Red Flag" in town, they may keep you low NE of North Las Vegas airport, there is a pass through the rocks west of the NASCAR Speedway heading to Mesquite.
 
Yeah, the wind in early Spring. I was out there in March a number of years ago, GCN and SGU. Then with the one runway, no easy options if the wind is strong. When I landed at GCN winds were up to 31 knots, happened to be right down the runway. Just look at forecasts, keep a divert in the back pocket.
 
Just watch the wind, spring is coming with higher winds. Should be a tailwind most of the way to St George, headwind going home may require a fuel stop at Apple Valley before heading down into the SoCal Valley. Marine layer in the valley would be a bigger issue.

Can you stay high enough to clear the Las Vegas Class B? The FAA controllers on the south side of the LAS Class B will try to keep you out of the airspace. Clear the Spring Mountains west of Las Vegas near Mt Potosi, go up the west side towards Red Rock and contact the northern Class B controllers. Those are the military controllers out of Nellis AFB and they can help you navigate the northern Class B airspace and clear the military MOA. If there is a "Red Flag" in town, they may keep you low NE of North Las Vegas airport, there is a pass through the rocks west of the NASCAR Speedway heading to Mesquite.
Last time I stopped at Jean on my way out, Boulder on my way back. Guess it will depend on what my bladder has to say.

I was cleared through the Bravo on the south side last time. But I was on the outer edge, I stayed just below on the way back. My little 150 can make it to 11,5...but that's going to be a struggle so I'll go around or under.

I'll see how it looks Thursday, looking good right now.
 
‘What the bladder has to say’? No flight prep would be complete without provisions for use of the onboard facilities. The use may not be my 1st choice, but just having the option nearby is almost essential.

I knew a guy from years ago, he did a fair amount of flying with his family. He took things even further, which included a #10 can with a lid, T.P.. I’ve never considered going that far, would be rather cumbersome. That all said, it may be a last ditch option to avoid an even worse outcome.
 
Back
Top