SSRI's and UAS's

Hey Capt., would an owner of an RC model shop taking the latest and greatest model out to the field to drum up business be considered a "business purpose" requiring licensesure by the FAA? I don't know, just asking.

That's where this sort of thing starts to get fun when the FAA is involved - I wouldn't even try to guess.

What is unpopulated area resource work? Just looking for stuff to seize in the name of the lord all mighty war on drugs? Since you guys get to keep what you take you should be able to score a helicopter and pay for it by spotting more money from the sky. UAVs are rinky dink go steal a chopper.

Some of that. Not much. Biology work, search and rescue, wildlife research, closed area patrol, etc. $25/hr v. $600/hr. Trying to find that balance between efficiency and cost management.

Some of that. Not much. Biology work, search and rescue, wildlife research, closed area patrol, etc. $25/hr v. $600/hr. Trying to find that balance between efficiency and cost management.

I assume you have heard from a UAV sales guy can you post a link to their company?

I seriously would consider trikes. Cheap to buy, fly, and maintain; and you can trim them to fly really slow. They're also easier to fly than airplanes, and much easier to fly than any RC plane or simulator I've ever crashed flown.

As an aside, Dr. Bruce is right. Even joking about shooting down a manned aircraft is the kind of thing that can get you in a heap of trouble, and rightfully so.

Lord knows I've said plenty of stupid things in my life, too, so I'm not losing any sleep over it. The day I become perfect is the day I'll hold other people to that standard. But it's not something I'd suggest you ever say again... especially in a public forum. Neither those of us who fly nor those who regulate us find any humor in it.

Now, to answer my own question about why I shouldn't shoot down your drone, the answer is because crippling any aircraft would create a danger to people in the air and on the ground. That's the answer I was hoping for.

Again, my purpose in asking was to illustrate that drones are just as big a risk (actually, more so, in my opinion) than manned aircraft.

Anyway, consider the trikes. Oh, and by the way: They're a heck of a lot of fun to fly, too.

-Rich

Last edited:
With SSRIs designed to screw with cognitive and executive functions, one would hope there is a reporting requirement for LEOs to their commanding officer. And some form of minimum standard and screening like the FAA has.

IMO, i would prefer the officer remain on medical leave and not return until he is weaned of the meds and cleared by the correct cogscreen and pych pro. Otherwise, how can we be assured that soemthing really bad will not happen while the officer is on the meds and at a reduced capacity?

Some PDs have gone the powered parachute route, very wind limited but the easiest thing to fly. Outstanding visibility.

Which I apologized for, and which was accepted by the poster it was directed towards. That's all I got. Sorry, Bruce.
You still have not dealt with the fact that it's okay for you to "fun" (as a cop) about shooting down an aircraft, but it's not okay for me to not have what you consider adequate "bedside manner" (as a doc).

So, fuggedaboudit. Because, even if you did now, I'm disinclined to be of any help. Why?

[/QUOTE]I guess I'll take my questions somewhere else. Thanks
You didn't like the answer, said you'd walk away, and guess what. You didn't.

Bye.

With SSRIs designed to screw with cognitive and executive functions, one would hope there is a reporting requirement for LEOs to their commanding officer. And some form of minimum standard and screening like the FAA has.

IMO, i would prefer the officer remain on medical leave and not return until he is weaned of the meds and cleared by the correct cogscreen and pych pro. Otherwise, how can we be assured that soemthing really bad will not happen while the officer is on the meds and at a reduced capacity?

I've been more afraid working with folks who haven't had their total fill of coffee, or who've run out of smokes, than I have with those on a regiment of some sort of medication.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back