SSRI's and menopause

U

Unregistered

Getting ready to set up an appointment to speak to the gyn about treatment for pre-menopause symptoms... weight gain, miserable mood swings and "I'm gonna go sleep in the freezer because I'm sweatin' like a pig in this 65 degree house".

I was reading on the Mayo Clinic site and one of the treatments for hot flashes is low-dose antidepressants. I am going to assume that these, even though they are not for depression, are still a no-no in the eyes of the FAA?

I see that hormone replacement is OK, though.

Don't much like Rx's to begin with, just want to be a bit more educated when I go for my chat. Some of these Dr's are so darned pill happy.

Thank you!

You can certify on them. It will take abour $4,500 (uninsurable) and six months. It's pushed in under the SSRI protocol and I have yet to find a pilot male or female who thinks that is a good value. It has some non-psychiatric male usages, too.

Currently there are about 100 pilots flying with the ssri waiver- see the attachment. Page 6 came from yours truly. The meat and potatoes are on the last page.

Hormone replacement has its own issues, but are a yawn to the Federal system.

Attachments

• SSRI.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 180
Hey Doc, semi-related question.

I met a guy a couple of weeks ago who actually has a medical, but who has stopped flying (except for ultralights and LSA) because he was prescribed some SSRI or another for a chronic rash, of all things. Apparently nothing else stops the itching, and when he goes off the meds, the itching comes back.

I don't remember which SSRI he's on. He mentioned the drug name and he knew that it was an SSRI, but I didn't recognize the name of the drug and don't remember what it was.

He's basically resigned himself to letting his medical expire and just exercising SP privileges or flying ultralights. Is it possible that he can get an SI for SSRI use for a rash and not have to do that?

Thanks,

-Rich

I saw a funny license plate frame today . . .

"I'm as hot as I ever was - only now it comes in flashes"

Speaking of HRT . . . what does an airman need to certify testosterone supplementation?

A statement from the doc to the effect that , physiologic replacement is what he is doing. Anastrazole, however requires a "no side effects" statement from the doc, too.

Levels are helpful. And they look pretty good at the "Dr. Feelsgood mixes" (Beta-HcG+ whatever).

If they get any sense that mondey business is going on, then you get the demand to provide an endocrinologist's evaluation. BTST.

Its probably just easier to have the endo write the letter then . . .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back