SSRI vs. Buspirone (anxiety)

A

AnonPilot

I have read that if a pilot is on an SSRI temporarily, then it is less of a hassle to be on it for under 6 months. Over 6 months you get the full array of cog testing?

Is the same true for Buspirone? Is there less testing if someone is on it for under 6 months and then stops vs >6 months?

I have read about the SSRI protocol, this question is not directly relating to that topic.

@bbchien

Why is it a no no.

I don’t plan I’m taking either a SSRI or Buspar long term. I’m not willing to go thru the SSRI hoops and associated career uncertainty.

I’ve tried CBT for 6 months and it isn’t enough.

I don’t plan I’m flying with either. Previous link seems irrelevant then

If you search the AOPA Medications Database (an online resource that provides some answers on what medications are and aren't permitted) for Busprione or Buspar, you will see that it is a prohibited medication. This means that if you are actively taking it, the FAA says you are not permitted to operate an aircraft.

Searching the database with "Anxiety Disorders" as the only parameter, found these results.

Attachments

• AOPA Online - FAA medications - Anxiety Disorders.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 801
I don’t plan I’m flying with either. Previous link seems irrelevant then
Does this mean you are capable of weaning yourself off of the medication and not using it anymore?

Also, with the prior diagnosis and medication use in your history, you may still be required to do the neuropsychologist testing to obtain the details the FAA wants on you and your situation. Since the Germanwings Flight 9525, every aviation agency around the world is sensitive to mental disorders and medical certifications.

But I'll leave the details of how, what, and possible outcomes to the experts such as Doctor Lou and Doctor Bruce.

I have been working with a HIMS AME and know what is required to go back to work given my exposure to a SSRI and underlying diagnosis. Yes a psych eval was going to be required and possible cog testing.

I was asking about a scenario where I would wean off the meds and then start the app process after that

I was asking about a scenario where I would wean off the meds and then start the app process after that
Wouldn't the HIMS AME you "are working with" be able to answer this question? And do so with greater confidence than SGOTI?

Good point. I’m too lazy to call and ask.. but now I’ve spent more time trying to do it the lazy way

Why is it a no no.
The FAA has a burr up their ass on psychoactive drugs to begin with. Just getting the protocol for SSRIs wasn't particularly easy. Buspirone isn't even an SSRI. While Buspirone is still available, BuSpar (note the capitalization), is no longer marketed as a product by Bristol-Meyers Squibb who own that trademark. In addition to the problems with the underlying condition you are taking it for, the thing has a whole slew of side effects that cause heartburn to the regulators: sedation, cognitive, and motor impairment, plus severe withdrawal reactions if you're not regular in taking it.

Buspirone is a no-no because it's cognitive profile in the neurocog battery is devastating for some and deleterious for nearly all.

And no, the "how'm I actually doing" part of your brain will not alert you to this difficulty, with this med and in the condition(s) being treated.

"But I am perfectly fine!".

@bbchien

During the creation of the SSRI protocol, did you see 1 of the 4 SSRI's yield higher cognitive functions vs others?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back