SSRI Special Issuance

Jason E

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
osuaviator
Hello, I am looking for anyone out there that might be in the same situation as I am and awaiting SI from the FAA with SSRI.

I am a pilot with a major airline, 1st class medical. I self grounded myself for depression issues Jan 1, 2019. I went through the HIMS program through a very well known clinic. I successfully completed all of the requirements per the HIMS program. I was signed off by my AME over 9 months ago. I did receive mail from the FAA after 6 months seeking updated information. That was sent back within a week. My AME has followed up numerous times with the FAA and that this timeline is unacceptable. I recently reached out to my state senator about my situation as well as other pilots in the same situation and awaiting approval from the FAA. They have sent out a message to the FAA and now still waiting to see if anything happens. I had no idea that this would take so long to get back to work. I am hopeful that I hear something soon but wanted to see if there is anyone out there with the same situation.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are many of us who are in the “line up and wait” category. FAA timelines are completely unacceptable....but what are we to do?

The timeline is completely unacceptable IMO. The whole point of self grounding and going through the HIMS program is to give airman a way to get better and get back to work and feeling well. I don't understand why the FAA needs all this time to review cases when the airman has gone through the hard work of an FAA approved HIMS program and has been deemed safe to return to work by an FAA approved HIMS AME. The doctors have done all the work, so this should be a sign and send thing for the FAA. Pilots will not utilize this system if they are aware that it takes this long to get back in the air or back in the air at all. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Above the basic minion level, the quantity of qualified laypersons and doctors gets significantly smaller with each upward level and the quantity of cases increases. And each level can only process so many per day.

And since the upper level doc doing the review will have his name and reputation on the line when he approves you, he is gonna take his sweet time to make sure all is correct and proper. It’s his asset if he approved you and you turn out to be another Andreas Lübitz.

Count your silver linings your case didn’t need to be approved by the Federal Air Surgeon.

I'm pretty sure that my case is actually waiting for approval from the Federal Air Surgeon.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that my case has to be signed off by the Federal Air Surgeon. If major airline pilots are still waiting then a non rev guy like me is really in a bad spot...

I know for a fact that my case has to be signed off by the Federal Air Surgeon. If major airline pilots are still waiting then a non rev guy like me is really in a bad spot...
Adam,

I'm sorry to hear that you are waiting patiently as well. The waiting part to me is harder than going through the HIMS program. Hang in there.

AAM200 announced in March that it had been disrupted by two retirements- one retirement in place, and one unannounced real retirement. Case review is down to a crawl.

But, everyone need realize that there actually is NO timeline at the agency. Their view is “get it right”. IMO, Politically we have had one party saying “you can do more” and the other saying “not a dime more”. What we are seeing is the collision of these two...and not enough dimes for the mission.

Federal service is a very tough place to be right now....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back