SSRI past use

H

Hopeful

Question for an AME..

I went for a 3rd class around a month ago. Being an honest person I disclosed that in the last year or two I took Zoloft for a brief time (around six months) but have not taken it for the past year.

I took it because of some relationship issues I was going through and have absolutely no reason to take it any longer nor any recurring condition.

Long story short: I was issued a medical by the AME, but just received a letter from the FAA regional branch saying they wanted more information about the use of the medication and that they may possible deny me a medical.

I thought I had understood the rules surrounding SSRI use. I haven't taken the med for a year, have no long term condition, and certainly am competent to fly - in great health. Is there something I should do here other than just provide the information they are asking for?

Any idea why the original AME didn't ask me for the details instead of waiting for the regional branch to 'investigate'?

Thanks. Just nervous that I am going to fall into some sort of loophole which would deny me a medical.

Just to give you a head-start even tomorrow morning, you might begin gathering documentation from the doctor who saw you and issued the meds.

You might even schedule a time with that doctor and have them write an evaluation as he/she sees fit for you to submit along with other documentation. I suspect they will want to see use of those meds is in the past and no longer required.

Not an AME, so this is just what I have gathered from reading aviation boards:

If your SSRI use was for less than six months, you have a minor amount of paperwork ahead of you before you get a medical. If the usage was for longer, you will need a full psych workup. If you truly no longer need the SSRIs, there is a medical in your future after the hassle and expense. Don't get discouraged!

-Skip

Ken and Skip both have it right. Start with a letter from the Rxing Doc saying the need was transient and no longer exits.

If it was a day over six months, you have a lot of workup to get done. But if was under 180 days, the doc's letter will likely do it.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

I went to the rx'ing doc who wrote the letter with me sitting right there (had to make an appointment to do this). Turned out it was under six months as I had thought and the letter clearly stated that.

While I am waiting for the response from the regional AME, I thought I would throw one more in here. When it is time for my next medical, do I now have to mention again the past SSRI use even if it now has been over three years? In other words do I have to go through this every time?

Thanks.

p.s. I will let you all know what the response is from the regional AME when it arrives.

While I am waiting for the response from the regional AME, I thought I would throw one more in here. When it is time for my next medical, do I now have to mention again the past SSRI use even if it now has been over three years? In other words do I have to go through this every time?
Depends on how the question is written, and I don't remember. If it's "have you ever..." then yes, you report it and in the comments just say "as previously disclosed. No change." If it's "in the past x years" and you're outside that range, then no.
(If any of the docs disagree with this, listen to them, not me! :D) In either case, I don't think there'll be any additional hassle. Just don't get caught in an inadvertent falsehood! :no:

If there was a diagnosis, then the box for 18(m) is YES, forever and ever. Thereafter it's "previously reported no change".

FAA will eventually, likely send you a letter remanding you to self ground and report in should a condition recur, and that letter is you ticket on subsequent medicals from a cautious AME that "yes, FAA knows about it". You can also keep your carbon in which you report it; then the prior AME will know beyond shadow of a doubt that you have reported it and hold a certificate (BOTH) = evidence that FAA has given you a pass.

If you do your subsequent medicals by https://MedXpress.faa.gov , the AME will see that it has been reported on his "past profile" screen.

Unless the diagnosis was manic depressive illnes for whcih an SSRI is usually an error, it sounds like you should win approval.
Your original AME wasn't up to date on the 6 month rule and so was being cautious.

OK, just received the notice from the FAA.

I am approved, and the only caution they issued seemed to be a standard one which is to ground myself should any symptoms reoccur.

Thanks for all the advice.

OK, just received the notice from the FAA.

I am approved, and the only caution they issued seemed to be a standard one which is to ground myself should any symptoms reoccur.

Thanks for all the advice.
Congratulations!

We'll look forward to hearing of your exploits of the sky.

If there was a diagnosis, then the box for 18(m) is YES, forever and ever. Thereafter it's "previously reported no change".

I just did that and the doc made me give an explanation in the box anyway (even though he has given me probably 5 of my last 7 medicals).

I just did that and the doc made me give an explanation in the box anyway (even though he has given me probably 5 of my last 7 medicals).
Yeah, he has to do that. His testimony and yours are two separate items. He's being pretty cautious if he makes you write it, though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back