SSRI cessation and removal of required special issuance

I

ifsandbuts

I was on an SSRI when I started flying and did a special issuance 3rd class medical. Last year I decided to go off the SSRI. It was an easy process with my primary care physician, as well as the psychiatrist and AME I had worked with while flying on the special issuance medical. The FAA still required an HIMS AME visit, and that $3,200 appointment was a completely different experience. He seemed to have made up his mind before I walked in the door, telling me he understood my other doctors think I’m fine, but he disagrees. He then focused on substance abuse and physical abuse, trying to get me to admit to something that has never been an issue with the FAA or my life. He called my wife in and did the same line of questioning with her. I was / we were completely confused and surprised. I’ve not seen the report, but I am very concerned. My understanding is he can clear me or not, and if he doesn’t it’s up to the FAA to decide. Does this sound correct? Have pilot’s been successful getting off the SSRI and the required special issuance?

I have told each of my about 10 SSRI pilots (prior to Application), that if one certifies that way, it will be that way forever.......the SSRI protocol is for recurrent disease, or disease that has a high probability of being recurrent, or for those with exposures so long, that it’s because someone thought it would relapse if you quit....

Now you want to reverse that testimony?
Remember, “recurrent disease, untreated and unmonitored”, is ALWAYS denied.

(Original petitioner for the protocol)

So do I correctly understand you as saying, a pilot never gets away from a special issuance once they have been on an SSRI? And that whether or not I am taking an SSRI I'm always going to be special issuance?

it can possibly be removed in a reverse HIMS like procedure.

I heard that if you put someone's medical record on the turntable and played it in reverse we would hear strange messages about past FAA admins and US Senators who have caused us General Aviation types all sorts of trouble over the years.

I heard that if you put someone's medical record on the turntable and played it in reverse we would hear strange messages about past FAA admins and US Senators who have caused us General Aviation types all sorts of trouble over the years.

I doubt whether anyone younger than us will get the joke, but I certainly laughed!

I doubt whether anyone younger than us will get the joke, but I certainly laughed!
Is that like:
Your GF comes back
You truck got Un-wrecked
Your dog didn’t die?

to the OP: the SSRI program is for “relapsing”, or”steady state” disease. All the consultants have to reverse themselves, which simply makes them no longer credible in the eyes of the FAA.....

Thanks for the encouragement. I wonder if this "possible" has happened for anyone. Do you (or anyone) know a pilot that has gotten it reversed?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back