SSL Certificates

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, cheap SSL certificate provider? This is for personal site, so not interested in anything expensive, but reliable and no-rip offs are a must. Who is a good & cost effective provider.

If it's just a personal site with no commerce, are you sure you need one?

I take it a self-signed certificate can't be made to work?

For things I'm not incredibly worried about I use $17 rapid ssl certs you can get via sslmatic. They work perfectly in basically any browser.

For personal use, I'd just make a self-signed cert.

I use the Positive SSL certs from Comodo, available on the super cheap from http://www.ssls.com, for stuff I'm not especially worried about.

As long as the issuer and cert have sufficient ubiquity and browser acceptance, the biggest difference within a given verification level is the amount of liability protection offered. So when my only reason for installing the cert is to give my users warm fuzzies about submitting my contact forms (which DO NOT ask for sensitive information), I go with the cheapest certs I can find from a recognized issuer with better than 99 percent browser acceptance.

That's my opinion, anyway.

-Rich

EDIT: I also buy them for the longest term possible, both to lock in the lowest price and so I don't have to worry about them for that long. If there's a server change that requires a re-issue, it takes minutes to get the cert re-issued.

Last edited:
Great. Thanks, all for the recommendations. It's not ultra-critical, but requires browser acceptance & confirmation with a CA. Self-signed will not work for my need. I'll check 'em out.

Back