SSA Convention Little Rock January 2010

akite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
A. Kite
Hey All,
After considering the possibility of soaring from Utah to Little Rock, I reluctantly booked my ticket from SLC to Little Rock. Dan Wrobel and I will be representing our local club and are trying to talk others into going. Two years ago we had 4/6 members there. I just thought I would see who else in the Bucket Hat Brigade will be there.

I'll be there. And it sounds like Leah is coming too

I'm planning on being there, and I'm bringing the orange bucket hat....

cant find my hat so planning on wearing regular bucket.

I am against the Social Security Administration.

As a non-glider pilot I just wanted to ask a question. Please forgive my ignorance.

How do you arrange subsequent tows once you are in your enroute portion of flight, or can a glider pilot actually manage energy and lift and complete a flight of that distance from one tow?

Again, please excuse my ignorance, I know pilots can stay up nearly all day, I just always envisioned the need to stay close to a lifting source like mountain waves and the like.

As a non-glider pilot I just wanted to ask a question. Please forgive my ignorance.

How do you arrange subsequent tows once you are in your enroute portion of flight, or can a glider pilot actually manage energy and lift and complete a flight of that distance from one tow?

Again, please excuse my ignorance, I know pilots can stay up nearly all day, I just always envisioned the need to stay close to a lifting source like mountain waves and the like.

Dave,

if you are flying cross country in your glider you manage energy and exploit updrafts in the atmosphere to go as far as you can, or as far as you want. The towplane just gets you some altitude to start with so you can find a thermal or ridge or wave lift. If you can't find some sort of updraft you'll be back on the ground pretty soon.

I should have been clearer with my post.

So given the speeds you fly, a flight from Utah to Little Rock, certainly happens over a few days. A Glider Trek if you would.

Is that correct?

I should have been clearer with my post.

So given the speeds you fly, a flight from Utah to Little Rock, certainly happens over a few days. A Glider Trek if you would.

Is that correct?

i suppose it could happen, if the weather cooperated. and that is more than just VFR weather, you'd also have to have updrafts to work with.

We dont really use our gliders for transportation when we fly cross country. usually we go out of range of the airport just to see how far we can go, or establish personal bests, or perhaps race around a predefined course with other glider pilots.

Utah to Little Rock would take some time and booming conditions. I believe all of us will be taking powered flights down to the convention.

Dave - Pennsylvania has been known to have some good to great soaring conditions. There is a club just down the road from you in Morgantown.

http://cloudniners.net/

Maybe you should check it out sometime!

Maybe you should check it out sometime!

I may just do that.

For some reason gliding stills seems scary to me. That whole no engine thing. But the idea of flying and just soaring like an eagle with no engine noise has a definite ring to it.

Must be an amazing feeling.

it is an amazing feeling. the no engine thing is easy to overcome. first of all the sink rate of a modernish glider is usually only 200-300 fpm. a lot better than, say, if you were to pull the power to idle on your commander! And gliders are quite manueverable and with good airbrakes or a powerful rudder it is very easy to control the glidepath when you come in to land.

not to mention if you find a little bubble of rising air, you get to go UP. that is the true magic!

It is true, I can't help but smile or laugh out loud when I am climbing with no engine, I know it will never get old!

I may just do that.

For some reason gliding stills seems scary to me. That whole no engine thing. But the idea of flying and just soaring like an eagle with no engine noise has a definite ring to it.

Must be an amazing feeling.

Never have to worry about running out of gas, engine fire a non issue:smile:

I'll miss this one.. but I am looking forward to Reno..

I Look forward to seeing Pete and the gang there, I can hardly wait, I am trying to decide if I should take my bright ORANGE Hat or my once Orange but now mostly white/sweat yellow hat to rev up Burticus a little bit.:smile:

well i suppose ill need to buy a new hat for the dinners and stuff where we need to dress up.

I can't wait to sport my new silver badge when I get that paperwork in that is.

Do we need a crummy one incase we fall down on the way home from the strip cl, I mean glider training seminars.

I better buy a new bucket. Hmmm, plastic or galvanized.

I would go with plastic, less chance of setting up a galvanic corrosion cell with all your badges!

Wow, me thinks you are spending too much time dealing with airframe corrosion issues at work.... :D

I am glad it is finally posted, I wish they could have put it up sooner.

I just heard that the Rhonbussard is going to be there, along with Dean Gradwell's Cherokee II as the centerpieces of the VSA.

Rhonbussard:
DSC03089.JPG

Dean's Cherokee:

DSC03081.JPG

Great! I can't wait to see them again too! Maybe we can take them out to dinner :D or maybe we shouldnt harass the gliders.

Back