SR22 Passenger Weight

Allie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AllisonK
Hi all. I've been invited to fly right seat in a Cirrus SR22 but I'm wondering if I'm too heavy. Just under 300lbs.

I'm supposed to fly tomorrow (Tuesday) and I don't want to put the pilot in the uncomfortable position of telling me I'm too heavy, so I'd like to know asap.

thanks in advance for your help!

Allie

Your weight is only a function of balance. In other words the pilot may need to toss so blast in the baggage area.

If you want to avoid putting the pilot into an uncomfortable position, then you should tell the pilot your weight in advance.

This is a great idea.

If I am not told differently, I assume women will weigh about 130 lbs, and men 180, if taking strangers in my plane.

The 22 should be able to accommodate you without issue. G1 to g3 have a 3400 gw, g5 and 6 have a 3600 gw. There is generally plenty of useful load for most situations. Ask for a w and b to be sure.

Can’t be uncommon seating two that could be up near #230. With casual flights, most planes are often partially fueled. With only two onboard should have useful load available. I’d also think the C.G. envelope should be somewhat accommodating.

I don’t know the Cirrus well though, just going with my spyde senses.

I can't imagine a $750k plane not being able to carry 2 adults safely.

The SR22 has a pretty wide envelope but you do have to watch the forward limits - easily resolved by some weight in the baggage area. With full fuel and my 195lb self and 130lb wife, we're at the forward limits.

In the OP's scenario, unless the pilot weighs 150 or so they're going to be out of CG. even at minimum fuel. A couple of cases of oil or jugs of TKS in the baggage area should do it.

I've yet to load the plane out of balance to the rear, and that includes stuffing the baggage to the 130lb max, wife, carseat, and baby in back seat, and assuming zero fuel. It's worked out for me.

The SR22 has a pretty wide envelope but you do have to watch the forward limits - easily resolved by some weight in the baggage area. With full fuel and my 195lb self and 130lb wife, we're at the forward limits.

In the OP's scenario, unless the pilot weighs 150 or so they're going to be out of CG. even at minimum fuel. A couple of cases of oil or jugs of TKS in the baggage area should do it.

I've yet to load the plane out of balance to the rear, and that includes stuffing the baggage to the 130lb max, wife, carseat, and baby in back seat, and assuming zero fuel. It's worked out for me.

Scott, which generation are you flying? I don't recall any situations where I'm at forward limit, with me at 200# and my flight instructor at #210. Even with full tanks.

Scott, which generation are you flying? I don't recall any situations where I'm at forward limit, with me at 200# and my flight instructor at #210. Even with full tanks.

Late G1. PFD and TKS with the Hartzell aluminum prop.

My biggest concern would be fitting in the seat. I've had some bigger people in my plane, and sometimes the seat is just too narrow.

I thought folks that flew a Cirrus were of the type where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average...

Back