SR22 Down on Approach to KDXR

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
"A plane parachuted to a crash landing in the southern part of the city on Tuesday night, and three people walked away, officials said."

Story here: http://www.courant.com/community/danbury/hc-danbury-plane-fall-0123-2-20130122,0,4634405.story

Photos here: http://www.wfsb.com/story/20653115/plane-crashes-in-danbury

20653115_BG2.jpg

20653115_BG1.jpg

Last edited:
Good on them. Maybe more Cirrivators will pay attention.

Yup. About the only way to landout without a barbecue. Good on them.

They lost engine power. Possible fuel starvation. That's from the forum of COPA, the type club.

Looking at the photos in the OP, it's clear that a parachute landing offered a much better outcome than a conventional off-field landing. It was nighttime in a built-up area with buildings, trees and power lines. That would have been a really bad time and place for an 80 knot horizontal landing.

The chute provides a 20-knot descent rate. Coming down vertically at 20 knots sounds like a much better way to hit a powerline than 80 knots horizontally.

I guess whoever owns that property will need to re-do the landscaping after having an aircraft crash on it.

those systems are great as long as you dont crash the plane and they dont deploy...very dangerous for emergency crews. just something to think about.

From the WFSB article
It is unclear how much damage was caused to the plane during the crash.
What? Like you can't see the photos in your own article? The article should have read:

It's obvious from the photos that the Cirrus is FUBAR

:)

Glad all aboard are okay.

Wow wow glad to hear everyone's ok and that parachute worked properly more scary the fact that pretty much everyday we are hearing of these ga aircraft going down makes me think continuing down this road. I'm sure these guys did all their checks and its maintained right so you feel confident flying off but then Mayham your engine dies or what not pretty scary!

Wow wow glad to hear everyone's ok and that parachute worked properly more scary the fact that pretty much everyday we are hearing of these ga aircraft going down makes me think continuing down this road. I'm sure these guys did all their checks and its maintained right so you feel confident flying off but then Mayham your engine dies or what not pretty scary!

Marcos, it's important to remember that everything has calculated risks.
Speeding on the highway? Hunting with friends? Rock climbing, boating etc. etc. etc.
What's important is that we prepare for the unexpected, stay sharp/focused, and rely on our training.
At the end of the day, there are simply things that are beyond our control.
Do you let it prevent you from exploring things you may enjoy....well only you can answer that.

Here was their wx before and after the crash:

Jan 22 07:53 EST W 14 G 22 10.00 Fair CLR 17/-1 29.94

Jan 22 06:53 EST NW 8 G 17 10.00 Mostly Cloudy FEW038 BKN060 18/2 29.91

I can't imagine any pilot taking off on a 90 min flight(30 min from dep to dest) at night without full or mostly full tanks.

I wonder how much the chute gives Cirrus pilots a false sense of security. 'I can always pull the chute."

:dunno:

Last edited:
Demo flight, guy wanted a demonstration of the chute. ;)

....and the photos if you are young and have good eyes :) .

There is a Cirrus training center and rental outfit at Danbury airport. I wonder if it is one of the rentals.

The same LLC also has one SR-22.

I like the landscaping sign in front of the plane. Great advertisement for the landscaping guy. Wonder if the deed restrictions will allow them to leave the plane there as a great lawn ornament. Beats the sailboats in my community.

The crazy thing about that is barring any major mechanical issues causing fuel leakage - that is 100% avoidable :mad2:

Fuel checked at tabs prior to flight. Low fuel light came on and then 3 minutes later engine quit. A Cirrus can fly a long way from when the low fuel light comes on. I don't know about a 20 but in my 22 I have over an hour left. Fuel leak?

Fuel checked at tabs prior to flight. Low fuel light came on and then 3 minutes later engine quit. A Cirrus can fly a long way from when the low fuel light comes on. I don't know about a 20 but in my 22 I have over an hour left. Fuel leak?

What is the color of the fuel caps on a 2008 GTS ? Are they painted white or native metal ?
Just asking because there is a dark round spot where the fuel filler should be on the first picture (the one with the landscape sign). Normal with a native metal fuel cap, not normal if they are painted white.

What is the color of the fuel caps on a 2008 GTS ? Are they painted white or native metal ?
Just asking because there is a dark round spot where the fuel filler should be on the first picture (the one with the landscape sign). Normal with a native metal fuel cap, not normal if they are painted white.

On my SR22 they are metal color i.e. silver. I believe the 20 is that way also. I wonder about one of the drains such as the gas collator sump. Grit can cause poor closure although you should see it. Hopefully this one will get figured out. If this plane has engine monitoring then the fuel data from the MFD could be interesting.

On my SR22 they are metal color i.e. silver. I believe the 20 is that way also. I wonder about one of the drains such as the gas collator sump. Grit can cause poor closure although you should see it. Hopefully this one will get figured out. If this plane has engine monitoring then the fuel data from the MFD could be interesting.

The pitfall with fuel totalizers is that they don't see the fuel running out the drain, they only see the fuel that goes through the fuel line. Does the Cirrus MFD display fuel level from the fuel level sensors ?

The pitfall with fuel totalizers is that they don't see the fuel running out the drain, they only see the fuel that goes through the fuel line. Does the Cirrus MFD display fuel level from the fuel level sensors ?

The remaining fuel and fuel at destination use the totalizer. The fuel warning light on my plane and I expect on the accident plane are driven by the fuel gauges. Had the warning light been driven off of the totalizer there would be the possibility that initial fuel wasn't set correctly. However, the fact that the low fuel warning is triggered by the gauges indicates otherwise. The engine data will be interesting. I expect it to show plenty of fuel remaining based on MFD data but a tank inspection to show them empty. Just guessing.

Does the cirrus have a 'both' tanks switch where the system crossfeeds? I can see leaving a fuel cap off and losing most of the fuel out of one tank.

Even if it did not, maybe he burned most of the fuel out of one tank, then switched to the tank with a cap left off, which unknowingly to him was about to run dry.

Does the cirrus have a 'both' tanks switch where the system crossfeeds? I can see leaving a fuel cap off and losing most of the fuel out of one tank.

Even if it did not, maybe he burned most of the fuel out of one tank, then switched to the tank with a cap left off, which unknowingly to him was about to run dry.

No. Few low wing planes do.

Back