SR20 v DA40

TUPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TUPilot
Looking at options for a modern, 4-seat trainer/entry level aircraft, preferably with a glass cockpit. Looking at early to mid 2000 DA40s and SR20s, and I was curious if anyone had experience flying or maintenance wise with those types.

Both seem pretty close in terms of specs, with the SR20 carrying slight more slightly faster on slightly more fuel and two extra cylinders. The SR20, of course, also has the parachute repack needed periodically. Because of our budget, we are looking at older models equipped with the Avidyne; in addition, I've heard the older aircraft don't have the fit and finish of newer SR20s.

DA40 is a bit lighter but I'm a fan of its engine. One concern is its ride in turbulence and stability as an instrument platform.

It seems like some of the other differences (handling, center stick vs side stick, etc.) are going to require some flight testing on my part to sort out, but I wanted to see what those familiar with the types had to say first.

Thanks!

Having flown both (disclosure: I have many more hours in the DA40). My $.02:

SR20 is roomier. Both for pilots and passengers.
SR20 is faster.
SR20 has a chute. Which makes some pilots and passengers happier.
SR20 handles light to moderate turbulence better
SR20 has a single power lever (not a huge deal of course)
SR20 is probably a more comfortable IFR platform
DA40 is more "fun" to fly.
DA40 has better visibility. The view is terrific actually.
DA40 is overall cheaper to operate

I like both planes. I'd have a hard time deciding between them and definitely recommend putting a few hours on both.

I have flown both, but very limited time in each. My impressions were similar to the previous poster. SR20 is more polished, more comfortable, and more powerful, while the DA40 is sportier, simpler, more efficient, and cheaper.

Remember that while they fill the same role, the SR20 is substantially heavier -- 3050 max gross vs (I think) 2535 for most of the fleet, 2645 for the XLT. Generally the SR20 has a more refined finish, if you will. All the parts fit together a bit better and everything that moves feels heavier and more substantial.

Both good planes. I'd recommend reading the following as a starting point:
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/cirrus-sr20
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/diamond-da40

Having flown both (disclosure: I have many more hours in the DA40). My $.02:

SR20 is roomier. Both for pilots and passengers.
SR20 is faster. 5kts faster
SR20 has a chute. Which makes some pilots and passengers happier.
SR20 handles light to moderate turbulence better
SR20 has a single power lever (not a huge deal of course) It actually has two power levers, and I really wish it had a 3rd one.
SR20 is probably a more comfortable IFR platform
DA40 is more "fun" to fly. Absolutly
DA40 has better visibility. The view is terrific actually.
DA40 is overall cheaper to operate

I like both planes. I'd have a hard time deciding between them and definitely recommend putting a few hours on both.

See comments in blue.

Looking at options for a modern, 4-seat trainer/entry level aircraft, preferably with a glass cockpit. Looking at early to mid 2000 DA40s and SR20s, and I was curious if anyone had experience flying or maintenance wise with those types.

Both seem pretty close in terms of specs, with the SR20 carrying slight more slightly faster on slightly more fuel and two extra cylinders. The SR20, of course, also has the parachute repack needed periodically. Because of our budget, we are looking at older models equipped with the Avidyne; in addition, I've heard the older aircraft don't have the fit and finish of newer SR20s.

DA40 is a bit lighter but I'm a fan of its engine. One concern is its ride in turbulence and stability as an instrument platform.

It seems like some of the other differences (handling, center stick vs side stick, etc.) are going to require some flight testing on my part to sort out, but I wanted to see what those familiar with the types had to say first.

Thanks!

These threads have a lot of useful stuff on the topic, recommend you look through them.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28814

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54246

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56171

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52273

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53794

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52776

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55804

These are two extremes but do answer the question. Are you the type of person that would strap on an Extra and fly an acro sequence or get in the back of a Gulfstream and go on vocation? If it's the first one, then seriously look into the Diamond, if it's the second then seriously look into the Cirrus. Having plenty of time in both I find the Diamond to be a pilot's airplane, while Cirrus is more of a passenger's airplane. Obviously some people will be exceptions, but as a general rule, that's the case.

I sold my DA40 and purchased an SR22. I agree with all the comments and will just add two more. If you fly in locations where density altitude is an issue the DA40 has better high and hot performance. Based on my own impression as well as accident statistics, the DA40 is a safer plane. In the end safety is almost always up to the pilot but the DA40 is a more forgiving plane to fly. OK, a third comment - I got my instrument rating in a DA40 and flew many hours in IMC in the plane. It's a fine instrument platform.

I'm familiar with both. They're both very nice airplanes. However, they are very different in a lot of significant ways, but mostly in ways which are subjectively evaluated. In that regard, what I like about one may be absolutely the opposite of the way you feel about the same characteristic. Therefore, the only way for you to decide between the two is to fly both and see for yourself.

. . ., with the SR20 carrying slight more slightly faster on slightly more fuel and two extra cylinders. The SR20, of course, also has the parachute repack needed periodically.
Thanks!

I believe the SR-20 has the same number of cylinders as the DA-40 - 4 a piece.

I flew a DA-40 and it was really nice. It had terrific avionics. It had TCAS collision avoidance. Not sure if it had an IFR GPS or not. I didn't use it if it did. It's really hard to fly an airplane that is for sale unless the seller is pretty generous and will let you fly it. Usually they want your money first. It would be better to rent each one with an instructor. That way you can tell which one you like. Even then, what if there is turbulence. They both sound nice. I'm a Lycoming fan because I think the Lycomings are more reliable.

I flew a DA-40 and it was really nice. It had terrific avionics. It had TCAS collision avoidance. Not sure if it had an IFR GPS or not. I didn't use it if it did. It's really hard to fly an airplane that is for sale unless the seller is pretty generous and will let you fly it. Usually they want your money first. It would be better to rent each one with an instructor. That way you can tell which one you like. Even then, what if there is turbulence. They both sound nice. I'm a Lycoming fan because I think the Lycomings are more reliable.

I'm sure a 40 had an IFR GPS, doubt those things exist without them.

I have sat in an SR22 exactly one time and have never been in a DA-40. How do front seat passengers like having the center stick in the seat? Does it get in the way or is it uncomfortable? On my last xc with my wife she wasn't thrilled that the Cherokee had a yoke in front of her so not sure how she would handle that center stick.

how is the ingress/egress in these planes? I've only seen them on the ramp, but the cirrus seems to have great access. I love the double doors.

how is the ingress/egress in these planes? I've only seen them on the ramp, but the cirrus seems to have great access. I love the double doors.

Cirrus is great for getting in the front seat, as is the DA40. Keep in mind that the Diamond is one of a very rare breed -- it has a separate rear door for passengers.

I'd be biased towards the Diamond but I have DA40 experience, and I haven't flown an SR20. I don't know if the Continental IO 360 is the same engine as the TSIO 360 minus the turbocharger, but I've found TSIO 360's to be maintenance intensive and leaky compared to the Lycoming IO 360, which is pretty bulletproof.

One issue I have noticed about the Diamond is that it likes colder weather better. I don't know what the reason is, maybe limited cooling but in really hot weather, it was a struggle to keep CHT's below 400 degrees.

If you get the original sr20 the parachute repack involves cutting fiberglass and is more expensive. I have also ridden in the back of an sr20 and found it comfortable and I am 6'2. I have 15-20 hrs in a 2006 avidyne model and had no complaints. The fuel/engine management system is nice, especially when you are used to old cessna/pipers trainers.

I have about 10 hours in SR20s and they are fine airplanes. But in that limited time I never felt completely comfortable behind the controls. A couple of weeks ago I started transition training in a DA40 and after the first flight it felt like I was wearing the plane. Biggest difference to me is the way they handle crosswind landings. The Cirrus with it extra weight is less squirrelly. The Diamond requires a little more diligence.

I have sat in an SR22 exactly one time and have never been in a DA-40. How do front seat passengers like having the center stick in the seat? Does it get in the way or is it uncomfortable? On my last xc with my wife she wasn't thrilled that the Cherokee had a yoke in front of her so not sure how she would handle that center stick.
I've never been in either without two pilots up front, but I have given a good bit of instruction from the right seat in both. While in the right seat, I've never been bothered by the center stick in the DA40 while the trainee was flying, but I can see it being an issue if one was wearing a skirt (or kilt, and not being a Scot, I've never tried that :wink2:).

Getting into the DA40 is a little trickier, but nothing to which one cannot get accustomed (although perhaps a bit less modest for the wearer of a skirt/kilt than entry into a Cirrus :wink2:).

I've never been in either without two pilots up front, but I have given a good bit of instruction from the right seat in both. While in the right seat, I've never been bothered by the center stick in the DA40 while the trainee was flying, but I can see it being an issue if one was wearing a skirt (or kilt, and not being a Scot, I've never tried that :wink2:).

Actually I think it's more of an issue for the pilot. It can get in the way of a kneeboard. That said, I like center sticks a lot.

The stick really isn't an issue.

For three front seats diamond's whole canopy opens and you get an extra read door for the passengers. IMO diamond is much easier to get in and out of.

I'd be biased towards the Diamond but I have DA40 experience, and I haven't flown an SR20. I don't know if the Continental IO 360 is the same engine as the TSIO 360 minus the turbocharger, but I've found TSIO 360's to be maintenance intensive and leaky compared to the Lycoming IO 360, which is pretty bulletproof.

One issue I have noticed about the Diamond is that it likes colder weather better. I don't know what the reason is, maybe limited cooling but in really hot weather, it was a struggle to keep CHT's below 400 degrees.

That's because they are not turbocharger. Cirrus (especially the earliest once) have much biggies issues with warm temperatures. I really can't think of an aircraft that I had more overheating issues inflight than in an sr20.

Actually I think it's more of an issue for the pilot. It can get in the way of a kneeboard.
I've never had a problem in a DA40 with my FlyBoys kneeboard. Of course, those with those giant kneeboards/lapboards might have a problem, but rarely are those things a good idea anyway.
flyboys444_2271_22784297

I purchased my SR20 about 4 months ago. Logged about 200 hours or so on it - love it - except now I want a SR22 so going to list the 20.

I put about 10 hours in a DA40 and I loved that too. Great airplane.. but at the end of the day, I went with the Cirrus.

The first 10 hours or so took a little getting used to, but now, no problem.

You should fly both aircrafts if you can, and if you can, more than once! THen decide after that.. Good luck!

In my 3rd year of 2007 DA40XL ownership. It's a perfect fit for our most common missions. I fly IFR almost exclusively, even in CAVU, to maintain proficiency for those bona fide IMC days. Learned to fly in Pipers. The design of the DA40 has its roots as a glider (39' wingspan) so it is extremely forgiving. The trade off is a rough ride in turbulence. High x-wind landings are challenging due to its sensitivity but the control response is instantaneous and authoritative, so it nurtures good stick and rudder skills. Even with the unbelievably fabulous Garmin GFC700 AP you will naturally fly more often by hand than in the Cirrus. I solved the kneeboard challenge by using a military model designed for fighters and helicopters. In spite of its sophistication, the DA40 is elegantly simple, so it's reliability is high and the cost of ownership is relatively low.

Thanks for the thoughts. A friend is looking at an aircraft for some limited personal use, it would spend the rest of its time on the rental line--one reason I'm trying to get impressions beyond simply what I like and don't like. We need to find something that is marketable to local pilots, and preferably to those seeking instrument ratings, doing cross countries, etc.

For a rental, for some reason diamonds are always cheaper then cirrus, don't know why. So I assume a cheaper plane with similar capabilities will attract more people.

You will see a number of issues on which opinions differ. The more consistent differences include:

SR20 is much roomier
SR20 may be faster (DA40 is faster in my experience; consider them identical)
SR20 has a chute (controversial value add but expensive maintenance either way)
SR20 has faster roll rate
DA40 settles at 400 FPM wings level with power off and full aft trim (slower than the BLS and you can probably fly the aircraft afterwards)
DA40 has 22G seats
DA40 is more stable & forgiving
DA40 has much better visibility
DA40 is cheaper to operate (mostly the BLS difference & slightly lower fuel burn)
DA40 has better safety record (industry best)
DA40 has lower insurance rates (why the rent is cheaper)
DA40 factory customer service is fair but borders on the indifferent

Also, IMO, the engineering, fit, and finish of the DA40 is better. Both are good aircraft for their type. If I were buying today, I'm not sure which way I would go.

Last edited:
Back