SR20 Probe Issues

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
How many of you who fly Cirruses have dealt with faulty EGT or CHT probe issues? Today, in flight, the #6 cylinder supposedly suddenly spiked from about 350 degrees to redline--all in an instant. Then suddenly, it fell back to previous temp. Did this three times, and no enrichening of the mixture, changing of power setting, or telling it, "no, you don't look fat!" had any effect.

Today it was the EGT; before it was the CHT. Supposedly this is all a problem only Cirruses experience.

This "problem" has never happened to me in 13 years of flying Pipers and Cessnas, unless there was a real issue. I'm tired of it, and I'm switching back to the C182.

How many of you who fly Cirruses have dealt with faulty EGT or CHT probe issues? Today, in flight, the #6 cylinder supposedly suddenly spiked from about 350 degrees to redline--all in an instant. Then suddenly, it fell back to previous temp. Did this three times, and no enrichening of the mixture, changing of power setting, or telling it, "no, you don't look fat!" had any effect.

Today it was the EGT; before it was the CHT. Supposedly this is all a problem only Cirruses experience.

This "problem" has never happened to me in 13 years of flying Pipers and Cessnas, unless there was a real issue. I'm tired of it, and I'm switching back to the C182.

I've experienced this on both a Cirrus and on the JPI-700 systems on multiple Pipers. On the Cirrus plane, the problem ended up being one of the CHT probe wires rubbing on the corner of the exhaust manifold. The wire would occasionally show a dead short, which spikes the CHT to 500 degrees.

My experience with the JPI systems has been that I tend to go through EGT probes with some degree of regularity. I can't find the source right now, but I seem to remember reading something about the expected life of the probes being fairly short. I don't remember exactly what the number was, but I was surprised by the short lifespan - something like 500 hours.

Ben, I've experienced exactly what you describe with my JPI 700. Really got my attention!

The probes (I don't believe it possible that Cirrus makes their own) are prone to fail from heat(!).

Ben, I've experienced exactly what you describe with my JPI 700. Really got my attention!

The probes (I don't believe it possible that Cirrus makes their own) are prone to fail from heat(!).

This is what I understand, as well, Spike. I'm just unsure why it would be especially problematic on the cirrus.

I flew an Avidyne equipped G2 that lost the electronic engine display on just about every flight. Luckily it had analog backups so I could continue safely. Word was they had replaced to entire harness and it still was happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back