SR20 Flight

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
I had my first flight in an SR20 (never flown an SR22 either) today. 0.9 hours, $250/hr wet (NZD). That is a very sleek, powerful machine. I liked the glass panel a lot, though to learn how to use it well would take many hours. It was fast, and it climbed so well I had to really concentrate on holding altitude.

I think I'm learning something about what I like in an airplane. My two favorite aircraft so far are the PW5 glider and the Diamond DA20. Both are small and responsive. I liked the Stearman a lot, too, but I don't have much time in it. You feel like the aircraft is an extension of you. I didn't like the SR20 much. It would be ideal for getting someplace fast, but I didn't like the control feel when I was just flying it around for fun.

I think maybe the biggest factor is the bungee cord trim on the ailerons and elevator. Perhaps that's affecting the control feel.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Chris

cool Chris! Ive only got 45 minutes in a -22 with a demo pilot, but it was cool. I was probably blinded by all the whiz bang flashy stuff to pay much attention to anything else. That flight included a lot of stalls and steep turns and stuff, I remember the airplane handling well. Also we did some formation with the other demo plane, I had never done that but the demo pilot was highly experienced in formation flying. I had a whopping 300 hrs at the time, I dont remember much as far as details.

I've never been in a powered glider. Hopefully, I'll get to try one out sometime. :)

I wouldnt consider the SR-20(2) series power gliders. They are composite but thats about where the similarities end.

DA-20/40 on the other hand, and -42, you can definitely see Diamonds sailplane background.

DA-20/40 on the other hand, and -42, you can definitely see Diamonds sailplane background.

And you can feel it if you don't know how to control airspeed and energy.

Back