SR20 crash in FL 2 injured, 1 critical

The student pilot from China passed away over the weekend. He was 26. CFI is still hospitalized in stable condition. There are over 40 Chinese students currently flying from Aerosim where the flight originated.

Sad for the student pilot.....:sad::sad::sad::sad:

His family will end up owning a flight school in Sanford Fla...

They might try to sue Cirrus and Continental Motors too...... Errr,, Never mind, those are already owned by the Chinese..:redface::redface::rolleyes2:

Last edited:
From a Cirrus owner...

For the 'chute doubters, Cirrus currently has one of the best safety records in GA, a fatality rate a fraction of the GA average.

The rate declined as pilots became more willing to use the 'chute and implemented other Cirrus-led safety training.

Speculation on the Cirrus site (just posted there) is that the engine failed and instead of pulling, the pilot or instructor set up to land at the NRST airport. The set up wasn't good and may have led to a loss of control, with 'chute deployment below minimums...too low. But it's way too early to know for sure...

When I fly in my Cirrus, I always look for the nearest field on long and short flights. My personal minimum in an engine loss is to find a field and deploy the 'chute where I won't hurt someone if I'm not confidently established on an approach to a runway by 2,000' AGL. I'd rather have a bruised butt and an insurance claim than risk deploying the 'chute too low and killing myself and my passengers.

From a Cirrus owner...

For the 'chute doubters, Cirrus currently has one of the best safety records in GA, a fatality rate a fraction of the GA average.

The rate declined as pilots became more willing to use the 'chute and implemented other Cirrus-led safety training.

Speculation on the Cirrus site (just posted there) is that the engine failed and instead of pulling, the pilot or instructor set up to land at the NRST airport. The set up wasn't good and may have led to a loss of control, with 'chute deployment below minimums...too low. But it's way too early to know for sure...

When I fly in my Cirrus, I always look for the nearest field on long and short flights. My personal minimum in an engine loss is to find a field and deploy the 'chute where I won't hurt someone if I'm not confidently established on an approach to a runway by 2,000' AGL. I'd rather have a bruised butt and an insurance claim than risk deploying the 'chute too low and killing myself and my passengers.

I commend you on your thought process....:yes::thumbsup:....

100% agree

The CFI PIC's 911 call mentioned nothing about CAPS (not conclusive I know but he mentioned crashing and never anything about CAPS).

Nor did he mention the seat belts, right? It's not important to the people on the other end of the phone. "Plane crash and not everybody's dead" is sufficient to get them coming.

Sad for the student pilot.....:sad::sad::sad::sad:

His family will end up owing a flight school in Sanford Fla...

They might try to sue Cirrus and Continental Motors too...... Errr,, Never mind, those are already owned by the Chinese..:redface::redface::rolleyes2:

China Airlines flew his family over right after the accident. Wonder if they loaded up the plane with all their students and went home?

And I think you meant to say "owning" a flight school . . .

Last edited:
Not trying to make light of the terrible outcome of the Lake Wales crash but Aerosim has had a few problems:

planecrash4.jpg

Nor did he mention the seat belts, right? It's not important to the people on the other end of the phone. "Plane crash and not everybody's dead" is sufficient to get them coming.

I don't think it is by any means definitive that he didn't mention it but let's face it, pulling a big old rocket fired parachute has got to be a little bit more of a memorable part of the crash sequence than hitting the belts. Most post-CAPS 911 calls have mentioned the parachute (perhaps because it helps first responders find the aircraft faster) so I'm just pointing this out as a possible piece of the puzzle. I never said it was definitive and it very well may be a late CAPS pull that he just didn't happen to mention because he had a lot more on his mind at that point in time.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough...

I saw where a guy posted (on another forum) that he had just returned from currency training on the SR20 and he was surprised, actually amazed, at how much they emphasized pulling the chute. He had the opinion that flying the plane was secondary.
Sad.

This is the mentality they had to break in order to improve emergency survival rates.

In almost any scenario you are much safer parachuting to the ground with a 17 kt impact versus running into terrain at 65+ kts.

Could they have put it down on a paved runway? Only the people in the plane can make that call, and they're the ones who will live or die by the decision.

I used to fly an SR22 G2 and looked at the logbooks and saw an initial entry stating that the chute had to either be replaced, repacked or re-something every xxxxxxx (long-time) yrs. Our A&P said the cost was about $10,000 to do this work. Still, on every takeoff, I briefed myself on pulling the chute at the appropriate altitude. Everyone can be skeptical and say Cirrus is just trying to sell more airplanes, but they ARE the market leader in new airplane sales, and the chute helps. From the training I received at Cirrus and other You Tube videos I've seen, the chute IS a life-saver if used correctly.:yes:

China Airlines flew his family over right after the accident. Wonder if they loaded up the plane with all their students and went home?

And I think you meant to say "owning" a flight school . . .
China Airlines is a Taiwanese flag carrier, not a Chinese airline. Perhaps you are thinking of Air China?

China Airlines is a Taiwanese flag carrier, not a Chinese airline. Perhaps you are thinking of Air China?

Definitely said China Airlines, Chinese student. But then again, that's the media:
Sheng-yen Chen, 26, of China, was hospitalized in critical condition and never improved. He died this past weekend.

According to a report in the Taipei Times, Chen was one of about 50 pilot trainees for China Airlines — that nation’s largest carrier — that are being schooled at the Aeorism Flight Academy in Sanford, which according to the airlines, was formed in 1989.

Back