SR-20

Non-turbo 200HP, on a 2900# bathtub. It's not complicated. The spam-can competition circles around 2600-2700 gross weight on that power rating, with predictably better climb results, especially when you consider what happens to the 20's useful load when you compare apples to apples and restrict it to #2700.

The SR-20 was a prime candidate for the TSIO-360 imo. I think that airplane would have been popular, even among flatlanders. The problem for Cirrus is that if you start selling turbo 20s that compete with NA 22s as low as the low teens, then you start poaching the customer base from your overpriced flagship. Thence you'd have to make the budget model really underperforming in order to bamboozle the customer into believing the 22 is worth the overcharge, which is exactly what they did. Just like they wouldn't widen the Arrow/Dakota and give it the comanche engine because it would poach the Lance/six300 base post-flooding, Cirrus handicapped the 20 in order to shelter its flagship darling. It's the airframe equivalent to garmin's GTN 625 pricing scheme.

The IO390 seems to have solved much of that, at least on paper... The G6 SR20 seems to be a much better performer considering that it's not that much more than a new C172.

not that much more than a new C172
Exactly. The SR20 is not a great climber, but for similar price to a new archer or skyhawk you get a faster, more modern, and much more comfortable ride.. plus a chute

If it means anything, on the Cirrus website (COPA), the nickname for the SR20 is UPDT...under powered death trap. While that's a bit harsh and over the top, the name stuck. Generally, the SR20 is viewed as a trainer and for non-challenging flights (avoid high altitude take offs, situations that require high climb rates). Someone above mentioned Big Bear. Go there on the wrong day (warm) and you literally can't take off per the SR20 POH when the density altitude gets high. It happened to me once. And go arounds...be very cautious in an SR20.

If you can live with these limitations, it's a huge step up from a 172 or the like. The cabin is super comfortable and wide. The avionics and back-up systems are great, but note early Cirrus planes have Avidyne avionics. While there's nothing wrong with Avidyne, they are a smaller company, probably less stable than Garmin if times get tough again. Yes, it's noisy, but nothing a good ANR headset can't deal with.

And then there's the safety record (stellar) and the parachute, not to mention the amazingly low fuel consumption when you consider the speed.

Overall, the SR20 is a great trainer for the SR22. But if the limitations are OK, given your mission, it can be a great choice.

Also note that newer SR20's (G6) have a higher useful load and a 4 cylinder Lycoming.

What is the good, bad and ugly about 2003-05 vintage SR-20's?

If you’re thinking of an older SR20, you should consider a G1 or G2 SR22 as well. A bit more expensive in acquisition but similar maintenance and a much more capable plane. I was in your shoes and ended up buying a G2 SR22.

Don’t be afraid of Avidyne. The upgrade options for the Avidyne/Garmin 430 system are much more flexible than older Perspective. I would even consider a 6-pack G1 SR22, which could be upgraded to glass later.

Vibration on take-off is not normal. The side yoke becomes so natural after one flight. You should test fly an SR22 and ask this question on COPA as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would even consider a 6-pack G1 SR22, which could be upgraded to glass later.

I was thinking if I was ever lucky enough to own my own plane, I might look at an older SR22. I was wondering how upgradable are the older ones? If you wanted to go nuts, could you replace an old Avidyne system (or even early Perspectives) with a new Garmin G500 TXi for example? Not saying it would make financial sense, but just curious if you could do it.

I've owned a G1 SR20 with the Avidyne PFD and MFD for 2 years now. Been very happy with the plane so far. It's definitely louder than a C172 but in return I get much more room and better speed. I'm in CT so I don't have to worry about high altitude performance or climb rates. And because my typical flights are under 150 nm I don't really have a need for an SR22 at this point.
As some have already pointed out though it's really a 3 adult or 2 adult + 2 children plane. Don't expect to load it up with 4 adults and full fuel.

I was thinking if I was ever lucky enough to own my own plane, I might look at an older SR22. I was wondering how upgradable are the older ones? If you wanted to go nuts, could you replace an old Avidyne system (or even early Perspectives) with a new Garmin G500 TXi for example? Not saying it would make financial sense, but just curious if you could do it.

I have heard good things about these buys but never used them. Dig around the site some, they have some rather extensive avionics updates available for older Cirrus.
http://www.nexairavionics.com/by-solution/nexair-smart-panel-upgrades/

Tim

I have heard good things about these buys but never used them. Dig around the site some, they have some rather extensive avionics updates available for older Cirrus.
http://www.nexairavionics.com/by-solution/nexair-smart-panel-upgrades/

Tim

NexAir is a great shop. I had them swap my Avidyne system with dual 430s and 55X autopilot to IFD 550/440, ADSB Out remote transponder, and new DFC90 autopilot. Amazing package. The plane flies like it’s on rails now. There are other more affordable avionic upgrades. The G1 SR22s are great value and they tend to be a few knots faster than the newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me first say that I am a huge Cirrus fan. Years ago when I was looking for a commuter for work, the Cirrus was high on my list and I went so far as to go through the transition training. I ended up with a V35B, but not because it was any better than the Cirrus. My impression of the SR20 was that it was too underpowered for my mission (I fly in the mountains a lot here in CO). If you are flying out of sea level, I think the SR20 is a fine machine for that mission. Alternatively, the SR22 is better suited for high DA ops.

Back