SR-20 Pirep

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Took a SR-20 for a demo flight today prior to jumping on the IR.

Well laid out cockpit, nice interior, "Jumbotron" panel, light but balanced controls, slippery, smooth, very easy to fly / manage, and zero character.

Overall rating: :yawn:

Some people like to drive sports cars. Some people like to drive go-karts. Some people like to drive BMWs.

It's not for everyone, but it's a pretty sweet ride if you're regularly carrying passengers. The elbow room alone is worth something...

I love my G1 SR20 although i do want a 22. Flew from Florida to Indiana last night. 2 adults 2 kids and luggage. Couldnt do full tanks for weight but still plenty of room. I average 135 kias running 65@ lop. Had nice tail wind and did 155 from kcni to khnb.

Great plane. Go for it. But fly the 22 as well.

Some people like to drive sports cars. Some people like to drive go-karts. Some people like to drive BMWs.

It's not for everyone, but it's a pretty sweet ride if you're regularly carrying passengers. The elbow room alone is worth something...

And those who learn in a school bus fly Cessna 172s

The Cirrus isn't a BMW. More like a Town Car- luxurious, easy to manage, fast, and completely isolated from the outside.

Great if you want to be flying a mini-airliner somewhere and don't care about piloting; next to useless for sunny-day romps or to get away from life's stresses.

The Cirrus isn't a BMW. More like a Town Car- luxurious, easy to manage, fast, and completely isolated from the outside.

Great if you want to be flying a mini-airliner somewhere and don't care about piloting; next to useless for sunny-day romps or to get away from life's stresses.

Fun to watch this fight over sophistication in avionics and airframe versus what some think is necessary to really 'fly.'

If you want bugs in your teeth flying, then settle for weight shift kites. Those guys are REALLY flying by your def. No cockpit at all.

I love my G1 SR20 although i do want a 22...
Great plane. Go for it. But fly the 22 as well.

I have flown both and owned an SR22.

While the SR20's nickname on COPA, "UPDT"*, may be a bit of a stretch, I think the SR22 is a safer plane due to its extra climb performance - a fully loaded SR20 can be rather marginal on a high density altitude day.

For the same money, I'd rather have an SR22 a few years older than a given SR20.

*Under Powered Death Trap :yikes:

Fun to watch this fight over sophistication in avionics and airframe versus what some think is necessary to really 'fly.'

If you want bugs in your teeth flying, then settle for weight shift kites. Those guys are REALLY flying by your def. No cockpit at all.
Nah those things are not raw enough :lol:

Comparing something with an engine on it. Skydiving is also without cockpit, but no motor. Gyrocopter, weight control, open cockpit Stearman... why wuss out in a Cessna with doors on it?

Heck, why not go up in a Blériot VII or British Green C.4 now that is real flying, right?

Last edited:
That's what BMW is starting to do now. The current 3 and 5 series are nothing like E36 and all the old instances of "ultimate driving machine". They figured that it's what the market wants. Interestingly enough, Caddy and Lex were shooting to create 3-series fighters and finally succeeded with submime designs in the ATS and the new IS, just when BMW moved on. They are completely beached now, realizing that the numbers of people who know a well-driving cars are too low.

Comparing something with an engine on it. Skydiving is also without cockpit, but no motor. Gyrocopter, weight control, open cockpit Stearman... why wuss out in a Cessna with doors on it?

Heck, why not go up in a Blériot VII or British Green C.4 now that is real flying, right?
Nope. When you bring a motor it is no longer real flying. Even the Wright Brothers figured that out.

That's what BMW is starting to do now. The current 3 and 5 series are nothing like E36 and all the old instances of "ultimate driving machine". They figured that it's what the market wants. Interestingly enough, Caddy and Lex were shooting to create 3-series fighters and finally succeeded with submime designs in the ATS and the new IS, just when BMW moved on. They are completely beached now, realizing that the numbers of people who know a well-driving cars are too low.

My first car was a 5 speed manual E12. I loved that car! I still wish I had it

Re: SR-22

What is your useful load full fuel?

What is your fuel burn?

I have flown both and owned an SR22.

While the SR20's nickname on COPA, "UPDT"*, may be a bit of a stretch, I think the SR22 is a safer plane due to its extra climb performance - a fully loaded SR20 can be rather marginal on a high density altitude day.

For the same money, I'd rather have an SR22 a few years older than a given SR20.

*Under Powered Death Trap :yikes:

Re: SR-22

What is your useful load full fuel?

What is your fuel burn?

Useful load full fuel I'd have to look up - I don't remember, having sold the plane in 2007.

My fuel burn was typically 13.5 gph. The SR20 burns less, but is going slower, so for any given trip length its very close to a push.

Plus, if one wants one can throttle back in an SR22 to get SR20 speeds and fuel burns. But not vice versa, obviously.

I burn around 11GPH, 160 TAS but that is at 17K. With 81 gallons I can carry a little over 500 lbs. However, mine is heavier than most. The G5 planes carry about 200 lbs more when equivalently equipped. Another way to look at it is with turbo, AC and FIKI and 91 gallons you are around 500 lbs left on the G5. Mine lacks turbo and AC and has non-FIKI TKS which is much lighter in weight.

Which one gets more attention at a fly-in, a C195 or SR22?

To paraphrase a friend..it is plane product. A flying appliance. A means to an end.

Back