squeak squeak squeak (SODA ride soon?)

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
10 more landings... most near perfect. one would have been perfect but I ballooned a little when I rounded out. several squeakers. a couple were a little hard but not too hard.

tomorrow morning is another round of pattern work, assuming it goes well (no reason it shouldn't) we are calling the FAA Monday morning for the SODA ride scheduling...

Does the SODA ride count as a checkride, or do you have to do the SODA and then the checkride?

Eitherway, congrats! I've enjoyed reading about your training!

SODA then SOLO! I haven't soloed yet...

I've got a fair bit of post-solo stuff done already though so presumably the rest of it won't be quite as much as it would normally. (i.e. I've got XCs done... night flying... hood work, etc...)

Good going, Beth! Keep this up, and you just might make October to finish it all!

Keep up the good work. And getting that many squeakers sounds like you are ready.

I know a lot of pilots post PP that cannot get that consistant of a landing. I am not one of them of course as all my landings are perfect each and everytime. ;-)

Good going, Beth! Who are you flying with now?

Kaye

thanks everyone! it's really coming together. flying so consistently helps too of course...

I started flying with Bob since Ray is on call so often. I'll still fly with Ray but it sounds like Bob's schedule is more in mesh with mine...

Excellent. Remember, though, that landings are only ONE PART of several special items on which you will be tested. Please make sure you look over the checklist for this ride--it is very different from a checkride, and I know--I've taken the exact same SODA you are going to take.

will they send me a checklist? I've had a few people tell me it was a piece of cake but I want to be completely prepared. Or would I find this in the FAR/AIM...

woodstock said:
10 more landings... most near perfect. one would have been perfect but I ballooned a little when I rounded out. several squeakers. a couple were a little hard but not too hard.

tomorrow morning is another round of pattern work, assuming it goes well (no reason it shouldn't) we are calling the FAA Monday morning for the SODA ride scheduling...

If this is a pre solo SODA ride, you should do just fine if you do as you say here, but I must have missed something, why do you need a SODA?

Henning said:
If this is a pre solo SODA ride, you should do just fine if you do as you say here, but I must have missed something, why do you need a SODA?

I'm blind in one eye.

woodstock said:
I'm blind in one eye.

Ehh, no sweat. I know a couple guys with one eye and commercial tickets. One dude even has a whole collection of glass eyes, some of them quite perverted;) .

woodstock said:
will they send me a checklist? I've had a few people tell me it was a piece of cake but I want to be completely prepared. Or would I find this in the FAR/AIM...
The requirements are whevever the AMEs find them. I think it is part of the FARs, but might not be in the parts that we typically purchase. I believe I found the checklist on the AOPA website. Dr. Bruce?

Elizabeth...When I 1st started learning to fly I had a friend who was deaf and he soloed before I did. Good Luck with the SODA ride? Are you taking it tomorrow?

I found this:

Special Medical Flight Tests

Hopefully, it's still current.

Here's the relevant part:

Visual Field Defect.

For visual field defects such as an eye that is missing, blind, or not correctable to standards within normal vision, the inspector must verify that the applicant demonstrates the following abilities:

• For single-engine and multiengine families of airplanes and helicopters, the ability to select emergency landing fields at a distance, from high altitude over unfamiliar terrain, and perform a simulated forced landing when applicable

• The ability to recognize other aircraft approaching on a collision course, particularly aircraft approaching from the far right or far left

• The ability to land the aircraft

• The ability to read aeronautical charts and tune the radio to a predetermined station accurately and efficiently while in flight

• The ability to read all instruments quickly and correctly

Back