Squawk Shoppe ANR headsets...any good?

Just ordered an Arcus ANR headset, looking forward to it...Thanks for the holiday discount, Shane

Just ordered an Arcus ANR headset, looking forward to it...Thanks for the holiday discount, Shane

Woohoo! Glad to do it for all my PoA people. You guys were on that discount like a pecker on wood! Now, i have to go look and see what options you picked. ;)

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Woohoo! Glad to do it for all my PoA people. You guys were on that discount...

I ended up ordering one. I'm looking forward to getting it, using it, and writing up a review with pictures. Their website says 16+ business days. I guess the headset elfs are busy at work for a while. Before ordering, they were around 13 days.

Glad you guys are keeping busy!

Nice work, Shane, great to see you getting the attention you deserve!

I met Shane in person on a business trip to Texas earlier this year and we caught up for lunch. Hear him talk about the headsets for a couple of minutes and you'll see just how committed he is to what he does. Congratulations, Shane!

That sounds vaguely obscene :goofy:

Anytime you want to put some stuff out as a Heathkit, let me know :yes:

Jim

Does Heathkit still exist? Last I heard of them was when I bought a voice synthesizer around 1968. I never could make that thing talk.

Nice work, Shane, great to see you getting the attention you deserve!

I met Shane in person on a business trip to Texas earlier this year and we caught up for lunch. Hear him talk about the headsets for a couple of minutes and you'll see just how committed he is to what he does. Congratulations, Shane!

Keith, thank you very much!!

That sounds vaguely obscene :goofy:

Anytime you want to put some stuff out as a Heathkit, let me know :yes:

Jim

Does it? :) A heathkit!! Wow, flashback much? The last time I saw one of those kits, I was 5!

Is there a 30 or 60 return policy ?

Hi Scrabo

We have a 30 Day No Risk Return Policy, full refund minus shipping. Don't like em, send them back and we refund right away.

Paul

Hi Scrabo

We have a 30 Day No Risk Return Policy, full refund minus shipping. Don't like em, send them back and we refund right away.

Paul

Thanks - I sat on the fence too long and missed the discount, maybe next time.

Can you whip the workshop elves and make them build faster?? J/K I know I ordered end of last week, but I'm on of those impatient s***h**ds that wants his stuff within 5 minutes after clicking "buy". :) Can't wait for Amazon Air.

I'm glad you guys are doing well and looking forward to having a quieter flight experience...and to see what my CFI says when I pull out the shinny new red ones with the red wire over the top!

Check you inbasket from our Orders Dept.

Our Christmas Holiday promotion starts tomorrow...check it out starting Thursday Dec 12th. It will run until Jan 01.

Paul

A heathkit!! Wow, flashback much? The last time I saw one of those kits, I was 5!

You need to revisit aircraft history 101. Ed Heath designed the Heath Parasol aircraft back in the '20s. He only got into electronics because the gummint sold tens of thousands of surplus CRTs after The War and he designed a build-it-yourself oscilloscope around them.

The rest is electronic history.

Jim

Last edited:
Also sent you an email with a question.

Thanks.

Nothing yet.... ??!!??

Sorry Scrabo,

Our Orders guy goofed off today, he was building something with wood, his wife will not be happy that he used some kitchen knives in the process...:rofl:

Anyways, we just started a FREE SHIPPING promotion today that runs until Dec 31st. Enter: SLEIGHRIDE at checkout for the discount on any shipping costs.

Paul

Last edited:
Squawk Shoppe prices have just gone up by between 10 and 15%

Wow, I can't believe I'm able to stop long enough to actually look at the forums for a minute... :) We did a pre-release of the Vans RV-12 designs and good luard have mercy, you RV drivers went bat sheert. hehe
We thought we would slow down after the new year, when taxes starting coming due... eeeeh wrong!
I think between the great feedback here, Aircraft Spruce and MZeroA I'm going to have to clone myself or Paul soon, or convince my wife that building headsets is better than nursing... Ya, I won't hold my breath.

Anyways, @RetailGuy and Scrabo, our prices went up because we added some new internal components that are more stout and more current. We've added in some additional audio quality to match the higher bit rates and some upcoming changes in audio streaming.

Don't worry, we'll probably have another sale around Christmas... probably :)

Ok, I'm prepping for my BFR so I've got to go pretend I still know how to fly. :goofy:

Last edited:
Just as a pirep: I got an Arcus headset for Christmas and I've been using them pretty regularly for the past couple months (about 22 hours in the past 3 months). Sound quality is pretty good although I haven't gotten a chance to mess with the AUX in yet. Battery life for the ANR has been no factor thus far, granted I've only gotten 22 hours of use out of them at this point. I'll update here when the 9V that came with it goes out.

The boom (full flex) is a little firmer than what I was expecting, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preferences; it's kind of a non-issue to me.

The headset is pretty comfortable, which may not mean much since I was coming from some David Clarks which I didn't find uncomfortable. Ear pads feel like they make a nice seal. The ANR feature... I don't know how I lived without ANR for my first year and a half of training. I can't compare to Bose or other brands, as I don't have any other ANR headsets though.

Build quality seems good, artwork looked as advertised. Can't complain so far!

Shane......any plans for a booth at S&F......or do you offer any S&F discounts?

Just as a pirep: I got an Arcus headset for Christmas and I've been using them pretty regularly for the past couple months (about 22 hours in the past 3 months). Sound quality is pretty good although I haven't gotten a chance to mess with the AUX in yet. Battery life for the ANR has been no factor thus far, granted I've only gotten 22 hours of use out of them at this point. I'll update here when the 9V that came with it goes out.

The boom (full flex) is a little firmer than what I was expecting, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preferences; it's kind of a non-issue to me.

The headset is pretty comfortable, which may not mean much since I was coming from some David Clarks which I didn't find uncomfortable. Ear pads feel like they make a nice seal. The ANR feature... I don't know how I lived without ANR for my first year and a half of training. I can't compare to Bose or other brands, as I don't have any other ANR headsets though.

Build quality seems good, artwork looked as advertised. Can't complain so far!

Thank you very much for the feedback! :) Seriously, we have the hardest time getting people to let us know what they think.

Shane......any plans for a booth at S&F......or do you offer any S&F discounts?

We won't be at Sun N Fun this year, BUT our headsets will. They will have them at Aircraft Spruce, Pilot USA and if we get lucky, at the Vans booth if we can get these RV12 one's ready in time. :) They may be running specials, so check em out!

Last edited:
Aircraft Spruce does not offer the full range - so just had to pull the trigger on the SS website and take the full price hit -- its a gift for someone, so could not afford to wait any longer, birthdays are fixed dates and there is no way around them !!

you wont be disappointed

Battery life for the ANR has been no factor thus far, granted I've only gotten 22 hours of use out of them at this point. I'll update here when the 9V that came with it goes out.

Well, the battery died on me last weekend after about 40 hours of active service and ~five months total idle time. I can't complain about that!

On another note, I've noticed on my past couple of flights that the mic seems to be fairly sensitive to positioning. I hadn't had any issues before these flights, but what I've been noticing is that unless the mic is placed just so, anything spoken doesn't seem to hit the intercom. Fixed it by just changing the angle of the mic relative to my lips, but it kind of happened at an inopportune time (trying to read back a clearance). It's also possible that the audio panel on that plane is a little off, but more data is needed.

Well, the battery died on me last weekend after about 40 hours of active service and ~five months total idle time. I can't complain about that!

On another note, I've noticed on my past couple of flights that the mic seems to be fairly sensitive to positioning. I hadn't had any issues before these flights, but what I've been noticing is that unless the mic is placed just so, anything spoken doesn't seem to hit the intercom. Fixed it by just changing the angle of the mic relative to my lips, but it kind of happened at an inopportune time (trying to read back a clearance). It's also possible that the audio panel on that plane is a little off, but more data is needed.

Great!! Just remember to buy the same type of batteries. The hi draw duracells and such will drain out quick.

Mic placement is something that I have to manage as well. I actually have to move the mic to the side of my mouth, otherwise my gameshow host voice is way too loud. I mean it's clear as a bell, but it's like I'm talking inside your eardrum.
Also, try a squelch adjustment on your radio stack, if it's available. I like to let out a light hum and adjust the squelch up until it clips my voice. Then I turn it a quarter turn back down and that works perfect in my scenario. Maybe something similar will work for you.

Great!! Just remember to buy the same type of batteries. The hi draw duracells and such will drain out quick.

Mic placement is something that I have to manage as well. I actually have to move the mic to the side of my mouth, otherwise my gameshow host voice is way too loud. I mean it's clear as a bell, but it's like I'm talking inside your eardrum.
Also, try a squelch adjustment on your radio stack, if it's available. I like to let out a light hum and adjust the squelch up until it clips my voice. Then I turn it a quarter turn back down and that works perfect in my scenario. Maybe something similar will work for you.

Not gonna lie, I've got an IKEA 9V in it right now (no, I didn't have to build it myself). We'll see how long this lasts. Battery life isn't a huge deal to me, as I've always got a spare, but I just figured I should give some anecdata!

As for the mic placement, I've not had a chance to do any rigorous testing (prepping for my IFR checkride, I've got bigger things to worry about!) so I'll have to get back to you on that.

Back