Squawk 1202

That is interesting. I have always wondered why there weren't other standard VFR codes for say parachute / jumper planes, cross country travel, etc. :dunno:

We could even require drug runners to squawk their own code. Would make finding them easier for law enforcement. ;)

Last edited:
JO 7110.66D had not been updated yet to reflect the change for 1202 code to "gliders not in contact with ATC". There was an internal change notice published last fall changing the intent of 1201 for gliders and LAX Class B transition pilots.. to 1202 for gliders to be effective 9 Feb 2012.

On 2 Feb 2012, the FAA released 7110.577 directing ATC radar facilities to monitor 1202 effective 7 March. There is an expiration data on 7110.577 later this summer which coincides with the next publication update schedule.

The FAA had problems meeting their own internal memo for publication changes and notifiying ATC facilities and training departments. The change notice included information for the AIM and JO 7110.65, the ATC Manual.

Why did they pull a discreet code out of the 1200 block instead of using non-discretes? Do they even read their own engineering docs?

Why not 1300, for example? Interesting mess they're making of their own system...

I may just be showing my incredible nerdiness here (and it may be because I've been reading a lot of books about Apollo), but does anyone else keep reading it as "Twelve-Oh-Two?" (And then silently shouting "program alarm!")? No?

Read post #5 above yours. The FAA could not meet their own publication dates.

I thought that MIGHT have been part of what you were getting at, but I wasn't sure, and it's quick and easy to do a search on the PDF file.

And they're starting to publicize it a bit more. Just got this in my e-mail. Of course, it says that they "will" be informed, not that they "have been" informed! Tense! :)

New VFR Transponder Code for Gliders
Notice Number: NOTC3762

New VFR Transponder Code for Gliders
In a notice issued on March 7, 2012, the FAA will now offer transponder code 1202 for glider pilots to use when not in contact with ATC. The new code will help ATC differentiate gliders, which have unique flight and maneuvering limitations, from other VFR traffic.
An accident, many incidents, and a National Transportation Safety Board recommendation highlight the need for a national beacon code for gliders that are operating VFR and not in contact with ATC. ATC personnel will be informed of the code, what it represents, and under what limitations the users are typically operating (e.g., unable to hold a requested altitude). Several codes considered in the past have conflicted with other operations.
May all your experiences be uplifting!
Bryan Neville, AFS-850
FAA Safety Team

So if you lose all your engines, do you have to squawk 1202?

If they could just give birds a different code to squawk that would help reduce a lot of false traffic advisories from ATC.

I wonder if the TCAS/TAS/PCAS manufacturers will be able to incorporate this into their algorithms. They already read out the mode-C, right ? Shouldn't be too hard to reprogram the thing to call out 'glider' or 'UAV'.

I wonder if the TCAS/TAS/PCAS manufacturers will be able to incorporate this into their algorithms. They already read out the mode-C, right ? Shouldn't be too hard to reprogram the thing to call out 'glider' or 'UAV'.
My traffic system will display the Mode A code and if I see 1202 I might assume it's a glider (or someone with a bad switch on their transponder).

i installed a microair transponder in the Cherokee II in April and have used it since. Wichita approach can see me and I've been happily squawking 1202.

Back