Spruce Creek Livability Question

Worldwide trade

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WorldWiseTrade
Would appreciate comments on living in Spruce Creek (FL) aviation community. I'm sure the aviation community is good, was wondering how the quality of life is outside of aviation. Noise in particular. Thanks in advance for comments!

Would appreciate comments on living in Spruce Creek (FL) aviation community. I'm sure the aviation community is good, was wondering how the quality of life is outside of aviation. Noise in particular. Thanks in advance for comments!
Spruce creek is huge. You can get a house pretty far from the runway. But if you don’t like the sounds of aviation, you might be annoyed often by taxiing planes, and you’re going to hear the big ones take off, and probably in the pattern too. I consider it a benefit rather than an annoyance.

The community is strong. Any time I’ve visited someone there, I’ve ended up visiting half a dozen other people I didn’t know before on the same stop.

So not wanting noise in an aviation community? Maybe a sailing community instead.

Their airport is private but if you go through a realtor, you can probably get permission to fly in and take a look and maybe get a guided tour. They have their own non-published IFR approach as well.

I had a place there for years, and looking to go back.

Life is good there.

But, yeah, lots of that beautiful airplane noise.

Living in an airpark myself, I can tell you that the airplane sounds are disruptive. Every time someone takes off, I have to drop what I’m doing, watch them climb out, and then get on FlightAware to see where they’re going. It won’t take long until you know your neighbor’s planes by the sound.

It won’t take long until you know your neighbor’s planes by the sound.

I used to live in a RV park off the end of the runway here in Gallup.

I can attest to the fact that you will be able to tell who is taking off just by the sound...

And then the transient in I believe was a Extra 200 that decided that 4am was the correct time to get night current, and could not be convinced that the prop does not have to go to full forward at 1 mile final., or reduced from full power below 1000agl...

One of my neighbors used to crop spray occasionally, and he’d usually blast out before dawn to get to the fields in his agcat. That’ll wake you up for sure.

Livability may be different for a family with young kids, a retiree or a remote worker.

Back