Spreadsheet Formula Question

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
This is an accounting meets marketing type of question.

Is there a way to write a formula or perhaps another formating based method that will change the text color for a value based on the value?

What I want to do is have a result appear as red for a negative number and green for a positive number.

I'm using Excel as the spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Len

Len Lanetti said:
This is an accounting meets marketing type of question.

Is there a way to write a formula or perhaps another formating based method that will change the text color for a value based on the value?

What I want to do is have a result appear as red for a negative number and green for a positive number.

I'm using Excel as the spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Len

That is already a feature in excel. I am doing this from memory but go to the format tab and select format number. Then you should see a selection of way to portray a negative number. I am on a computer right now that does not have excel so I cannot give you the exact method.

For other formating things you may have to do a If, then, else type of equation but red for negative is pretty easy and built in.

On that cell, select "Format Cells". Under the currency option, you can make negative numbers appear red. Then select Green as the base color for that cell.

Scott & Bo,

Thanks. I never took note that the negative values were red in the formating.

Len

Go to Excel help. Search for "Conditional Format"

Back